Fallout 4

Started by Art Blade, June 22, 2017, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

fragger I don't know if you've looked at Youtube at all for settlement build tips but I've recently come across a prolific Youtube poster under the name Skooled Zone who is quite knowledgeable with the various ins and outs of assembling some pretty amazing builds and his core foundation is that he does it all (and demonstrates how) with No Mods. He also is very cautious about letting spoilers slip, plays on a gaming console (so no PC console hacks), isn't hyper obnoxious, and doesn't blare obnoxious music at you at earwax melting volume levels.

The reason I'm mentioning this now was one of his videos that I viewed last night called "Where is Your Settlement Junk Safe?".  It addresses the problems of setting up displays and having things stay where you want them with out falling through the floor or being pocketed by your settlers.  Seeing your collection of robot models made me think of this vid.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DbO2a28pYA&list=PLoWFqhbb1yPs0tnEV8q-t4ShRSi7G00pM&index=20

One of this guy's demonstration videos shows (using the wire glitch) how an under ground wire can be stretched from a properly set up generator (at a settlement low point something like near a shoreline) that feeds to a roof top button style vertical pylon (aims up) installed on the ground can be connected to a previously (also installed on the ground) roof top button style vertical pylon at the complete opposite end of the entire length of Spectacle Island.

The idea behind the demonstration was to show how to wire any of your settlements so that the wires are mostly invisible.

You could of course use one of the tall or medium vertical pylons as the receiving end of the electrical connection instead one of the upwards button type pylons.  But then you would have a long length of wire coming up several meters away out of the ground at an angle to reach the connection point at the top of the taller pylons.

Also I should mention that as long as there is a vertical face of rock or a smooth surface near the shoreline (or where ever the lowest point of a settlement is located) to accept mounting a horizontal button style pylon mounting then that style pylon will w0#k equally as well as either the start or end point of the connection.

With the Railroad and the selection of your operative name I suspect the way you build you S.P.E.C.I.A.L. base levels and the Perks you add change the choices available to you.  My last time through the game I had selected "The Wanderer" which was also a song fed to me regularly on DC radios.  I had planned that this time I would pick one of the other names to choose from this time to see if it affected the radio songs that were most prevalent.  At least that was my plan.

This game always hits me with a curve ball when I plan too intensively.  Because my build this time is very different knowing which perks best suited my preferred play style so there were base SPECIAL loading and perks that I applied in a different order and there were a lot of other perks that I've skipped this early on for this game session.

When the time came to pick my Railroad operative name The Wanderer was nowhere to be found.  In fact I didn't recognize any of the names in the list from my previous game.  So this time I selected Professor.  The choice was quite recently so at this point I've seen no pattern change in the songs of the DC Radio play list.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

you get "the Wanderer" if you don't pick any of the suggested code names but instead let Dez decide. She'll call you Wanderer then. Also, at the end of the game, she will call you Wanderer even if you had picked a different name.

mandru

Ah, I didn't notice a "You pick" option.  ::)
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

Back to the dialog choices, someone on Reddit once listed them like this, as far as most of them have impact on the game.

Yes.
No (but really yes)
Sarcastic Yes
Yes, but let me ask another question.

Because the choices are really only for flavor, it doesn't really matter to most of the dialogs you have what you answer, the outcome will be the same and the quest will advance normally. At most, taking one choice over the other may make you miss out on some money or loot, but that's about it. You can't mess up with the dialog choice and fail a quest. For the most part.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on January 19, 2018, 08:03:29 AM
Ah, I didn't notice a "You pick" option.  ::)

It's a bit hidden. Basically you need to avoid picking any of the offered names and go for "I don't want a code name" which eventually leads to an option like "why don't you choose one for me" at the end of that dialogue branch.

fragger

Thanks guys :)

mandru, cheers, but I'll watch that video tomorrow. Almost bedtime for me - actually, I've gone past it, so I'm on the wrong side of "almost" :gnehe:

There is a mod that lets you turn junk items into decorations, so that they stay put if you use them as such. I'd prefer to do it without mods though, so I will definitely check out that video.

Art, I haven't played Blind Betrayal because it hasn't yet appeared in my quest list. You didn't spoil anything though, I knew about Danse already from researching some other vids that concern the game around that point. So don't feel bad or anything :gnehe:

I don't know why Blind Betrayal hasn't yet appeared as I've already given the network data holotape to the BoS. I'm at the point where I have to talk to Allie in the Institute at the beginning of Mass Fusion, after which I intend to tip off the BoS as per that video you linked to earlier. I'm still building up Danse's affinity (almost there) which is a reason why I wouldn't do Blind Betrayal yet even if it was there.

I've already maxed Curie's affinity and done her personal quest.

Art Blade

alright, so she's a synth girl now in your game, too. She's in that synth settlement of mine, too.

As to Danse, I'm pretty sure you'll still get to Blind Betrayal then because I followed the vid and got to play that mish. It's actually cool. And he's in that settlement as well. :)

All of that was in my first playthrough, though.

mandru

2 new screenshots in my Steam public folder.  My favorite lamp in all of FO4 (marked as possible spoiler).

- mandru

Art Blade

I checked them. Crazy, mandru :D and the guys/ghouls outdoor toilets are funny, too :)

mandru

- mandru

Art Blade

Boys playing with toys.. you don't want to be on the receiving end of that thing. :anigrin:

locked and loaded
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

LowPolyOWG

:anigrin:

Can the projectiles spilt into cluster bombs?  :evil2:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

not with that one, but the stronger weapon, a nuke thrower, if upgraded to MIRV it sends a carrier bomb that pops and then it rains mini-nukes :anigrin:

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on January 19, 2018, 08:47:26 AM
As to Danse, I'm pretty sure you'll still get to Blind Betrayal then because I followed the vid and got to play that mish.

Hope so. As helpful as that guy's video is, he's a little vague on the finer points and actually misses a couple of steps that I had to muddle through by reloading from saves on occasion. For instance, he implies (for the Minuteman ending) that you shouldn't complete Mankind Redefined, but you do in fact have to complete that in order to get to Mass Fusion. He also neglected to mention that you have to do the first step of MF (by speaking to Allie) in order to get the opportunity to tip off the BoS and subvert the Institute. So I hope there wasn't something else he neglected to mention that I should have done but that you just happened to have done by chance. I'm at, or even slightly past, the point where Blind Betrayal appears in that fellow's game. Since he's a bit nebulous with the proper sequence of some things and has a tendency to jump backwards and forwards in a bit of a confusing manner, we'll see when I get going on the main quests again, I suppose.

In that video, he also talks about speaking to Kells after getting the serum to Virgil, at which point there's a speech check and if you pass, Kells gives you a unique PA helmet. I did the serum delivery but when subsequently speaking with Kells I saw no speech check come up, and Kells never mentioned Virgil (why would Kells know about Virgil anyway :huh-new:) He did tell me he would give me a special piece of armour or something after I'd completed some other job I did (I forget which job it was now) but I never actually got it. I did get a piece of armour from him for doing yet some other job, but it wasn't a helmet :huh-new:

Art Blade

yes, I know what you mean. What I did was continue missions from all factions until the ones that I listed (from the vid) popped up, then I was careful. "Don't complete" doesn't mean "don't start" but essentially it means, "go into that mission as far as you can without ending it." It wasn't very specific, indeed, I struggled like you, but eventually it all worked out. Just continue as far as you can, the game will actually tell you "if you say yes, you'll be enemies with X" so you'll get a proper warning from the game itself. :)

And I too have to go through all that myself again with this career.

Tags:
🡱 🡳