Fallout 4

Started by Art Blade, June 22, 2017, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

That is interesting, I never paid much attention to what level the turrets were, I'll have to fire it up and see what I can get, though I think at Sanctuary at least, most of the turrets are laser or missile, so they are already pretty well defended.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

I kind of jumped the gun on that video.  :-[

I hadn't tested the ability to change the level of the machine gun turrets as they were shown.  It would appear that one of the recent game patches has blocked that exploit.  I have verified that Oberland Station gets MK 3s and Warwick Homestead gets Mk 7s.

Sorry about not spot checking that earlier.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

don't worry, it was interesting nonetheless.  :)

fragger

It's still a fine observation mandru, cheers :) I doubt I would have ever noticed that. I just plonk them down and let them do their thing :gnehe:

Art Blade

fragger

Hmm... I've been running with Nick Valentine, and after maxing out his affinity I decided to dismiss him. So I took him to Diamond City, did a dismiss, then a cancel when the destination window came up. But instead of staying in DC, he wandered all the way back to Sanctuary :huh-new: Earlier in the game I dismissed Piper in DC and she stayed there, going back to her newspaper office. I wonder why it didn't w0#k with Nick? Maybe the game will only let one character stay in DC if you cancel a dismissal destination there.

I hadn't dismissed Nick at any point in between, he stayed with me the whole time while he was my companion.

I know you can have more than one companion dismissed to a given settlement, because in my last game I had Cait, MacCready and Preston all in Sanctuary after being dismissed (as well as Codsworth, but he's a special case). But DC isn't a settlement, so maybe it works differently there.

Art Blade

T.V.

Quote from: fragger on February 09, 2018, 10:26:39 PM
Maybe the game will only let one character stay in DC if you cancel a dismissal destination there.... ...But DC isn't a settlement, so maybe it works differently there.
No, it have to be a glitch; both of "my" Piper and Valentine is back in DC after being dismissed (with a "cancel").

fragger

Ah, okay. Thanks T.V. :bigsmile:

A few things are turning out quite differently this time around. Another is the Castle, more specifically Radio Freedom. In my first game, I think I only got one call from it to help a settlement throughout the entire game. This time, every time I set foot in the place I get a request for help. I arrive at the Castle loaded up with concrete shipments and materials and all ready for a day's building, only for the flipping radio to immediately pipe up and tell me there's a settlement under attack or something :banghead: After about the sixth one I thought bugger it, I came here to build - those settlers are on their own for now :evil2:

Art Blade

fragger

Geez, these "help the settlement" missions never bloody end :huh-new: I never struck this in my first game - well, not to this extent. I've lost count of how many I've done, and they just won't stop coming. I'm starting to get sick to death of them, in fact.

According to general online consensus, it's dependent on how many settlements you have. In my last game, I threw up settlements everywhere I could, and after a while, the settlement aid missions finally stopped altogether. This time, I have a minimal number of settlements, and I'm so busy flying back and forth helping to defend them that I can't get anything else done. I thought maybe taking the Castle might slow the frequency down, but they've actually become more frequent than ever since I did that.

Also, they all seem to have turned into "defend the settlement" ones, meaning that if I don't do anything about them, they get attacked and suffer a happiness decrease, so I can't really just ignore them. Looks like I'll just have to get more settlements happening to put a stop to this - short of modding, which I'm not crazy about doing.

T.V.

Or You can try turn off the speakers at The Castle (there is a button in the shack where the "DJ" sits), and not tune in on the Radio Freedom with Your Pip-Boy.  ;)

Art Blade

yes, I did that, too. Only when a mission required me to listen to that station did I switch it on and then off again. I did that for another reason, it simply got on my nerves while I was there, as if someone was working a pair of strings to death on their fiddles. :anigrin:

fragger

Yeah, that paltry selection of just four or five string quartet numbers does get on your nerves. I did turn off the radio but I still got messages telling me to tune in to it for a mission. Turning it off doesn't stop missions coming from it.

But anyway, I set up a few more settlements and the frequency of those missions appears to have dropped, so they do seem to be related. I don't think it matters how populous the settlements are, only how many settlements you have. I think maybe once you have at least a certain ratio of them under your control (whatever that may be), the "settlement aid" missions will stop.

I discovered too that when Preston asks you to set up a recruitment beacon somewhere, simply building it and then immediately scrapping it doesn't stop would-be settlers from turning up. I've only had one of those missions, at Coastal Cottage, which is arguably one of the worst settlement locations with it's rough ground, largely unscrappable junk and tiny build area. I put up the beacon, got the XPs, then took it down again straight away. A while later I got a call for help from there - two settlers had moved in, even though there was no food, no water and no beds. After seeing off the Super Mutants that were hassling them, I sent them off to the Castle, so hopefully no more should show up, but apparently as soon as that beacon goes up, a couple of settlers will automatically be "assigned" to that settlement by the program and will turn up regardless after a short while.

Still digging this game, have lost no enthusiasm for it whatsoever :thumbsup: You certainly never run out of things to do in it.

Dweller_Benthos

I checked out my machine gun turrets in a few places like in that video. First off, I can't even place a turret on the bridge like he did in the video, so that has changed in recent patches as well. What I think did happen was that the bug about what type to place allowed any type to be placed anywhere randomly. Checking Sommerville, the settlement right on the edge of the glowing sea, and the Castle, the turrets in both places were random types, with no rhyme or reason as to what type they were. So I scrapped them all and placed new ones, and they all were mark 7's in both places. Sanctuary only got mark 1's no matter what I did. So it seems that the bug was fixed and each settlement is assigned a type and that now holds. At least that's my guess, I didn't try testing in any other settlements.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳