Fallout 4

Started by Art Blade, June 22, 2017, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

So is this FO5 or another side jaunt like New Vegas (yes, yes I get that some gamers pick FNV as their favorite FO foray) and the FO vault management game released for smart phones and tablets?  :huh-new:

It looks good and this teaser is playing music from one of the last eras I enjoyed listening to broadcast music but the online thing is bothersome.  :undecided-new:
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

From https://old.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/8n8s33/fallout_76_discussion_and_information_thread/

QuoteKotaku - Sources: Fallout 76 Is An Online Survival RPG

Jason Schreier via Twitter

"I think it's really important to reiterate this: Anyone who spends the next two weeks expecting Fallout: 76 to be a new traditional single-player RPG will be VERY disappointed"

Online Survival RPG. Think Ark or Rust or Conan Exiles or any of the other 10,000 online survival RPG games out there now, only in the Fallout universe. I will think long and hard on this one. Sure, I now have the connection to handle it, but do I want to play a game where you can build a cool structure only to be done for the night and quit, then start up the next day only to find some asshat has raided your base while you were offline and you have nothing and have to start over. No thank you. If you can run a private server where it's invite only and you can either play solo or just friends like you guys, then maybe I'd be up for that.

But right now, I'm thinking it won't be anything I'll be looking to get.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I have about the same thoughts. It would be fun to team up rather than play versus. Let's wait and see what the first youtube vids show, the first reviews regarding whether or not you can build and whether or not it may be destroyed when you'r not online (which I don't think) so overall, let's just wait.

LowPolyOWG

Servers might get wiped, which will delete your stuff. That's my experience for playing ARK and other survival games ::) Oh, and stay from PvP servers, unless you got a crew that can reliably back you up :)
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

fragger

Online-only? Pass.

LowPolyOWG

Judging by Bugthesda's release records (broken games on Day 1), I am staying away from this. Being online-only, not much you can do with mods now.

mandru

Online only and PVP? 

Really not for me.  In this case I'd say the FO stands for Fail Out.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

:thumbsup: :anigrin:

these days I'm strictly against PvP. I do like co-operative playing, though (against AI or just as a team)

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

PvP= player versus player.
PvE= ?

LowPolyOWG

Player vs Environment, PvE. Some games use different names, RuneScape use PvM (Player versus Monsters)

Art Blade

thanks, yes.

"Characters playing in this mode are often protected against being killed by other players and/or having their possessions stolen"

If it's co-op, then that's what I prefer.

fragger

Back on topic for a sec, I've gone back to my newish playthrough of FO4 after a brief fling with NMS. After two "full" playthroughs (meaning resolving the story part of the game) I know what to expect now, so I'm trying a different way. This time I'm avoiding coming into contact with any of the four main factions for as long as possible while I build myself up. I'm currently on Level 50 and I'm planning on kicking off Nuka-World before making myself known to any of the factions - not to become a bad guy, but just to gain early access to NW. I may not w0#k towards completing NW right away - just fight through the Gauntlet to get it started and do a few other things, so that I can get my mitts on those formidable quasi-AK rifles that most baddies seem to pack in that place, plus certain other NW-provided goodies. It'll still be Open Season some time later :evil2:

Should be fun too to bring Gage out into the Commonwealth early in the piece 8)

I've uncovered most locations on the map so far, being careful to avoid places like Concord and Cambridge Police Station where I might get pulled into a faction meet. I have Sanctuary, Sunshine Co-op and Vault 88 up to about 12 people already, with growing settlements elsewhere (although the couple who live at Tenpines have both disappeared, and its Workbench settlement stats report 0 People in attendance :huh-new: Dunno what happened to them, but Strong is looking after the place until I can make a new settlement there). County Crossing is also down one of its two initial settlers, but that was his own damned fault. He jumped right in front of me while I was defending the place from Rust Devils and took a .45 slug in the back ::) But I've since gotten the settlement numbers up to four.

As reported earlier, I cleaned out the Castle already despite not having met the Minutemen, and that made its Workbench available, so it might be interesting to see what happens if I already have a settlement in operation there when I finally meet Preston. Trouble is, the place is still full of egg-nests and piles of overgrown rubbish, which normally disappear after a time once a settlement has been established for the Minutemen. Whether all that garbage will disappear once a regular, non-Minuteman settlement is established remains to be seen. I have a feeling that hooking up Radio Freedom for the Minutemen is the trigger event for the rubbish to be automatically cleaned out of the fort, but we'll see.

I went out to the airport which I've never tried doing before the BoS show up in force after Kellogg's demise. I thought they might still have an early presence in the game out there, like just the compound or something, but they don't. The airport is completely deserted, except for some pesky Ghouls. Looks as though I can also get into the underground terminal part of the airport and battle the plethora of ghouls therein.

I've maxed the affinity of several companions so far - Piper, Cait, MacCready, Strong and Hancock, with Ada hanging around the as-yet unsettled Red Rocket outside Sanctuary until I'm ready to track down The Mechanist with her. I've run around with Curie a bit but I can't max her affinity out nor get her into synth form until I've made contact with the Railroad. I also can't apply Ballistic Weave to military fatigues until I've had contact with the RR since you need to meet and do some mishes for Tinker Tom in order to gain the know-how.

It's proving quite an interesting way to play. When I finally meet the Factions, I should already be a force to be reckoned with :gnehe:

Right then. I have the weapons, the armour, the Perks and the gumption to become Sir Boss of Nuka-World. I'm off to do just that!

Art Blade

that's quite something you've achieved already. Nice :)

I don't recall being able to start settlements before meeting with Preston, particularly not Sanctuary. I might simply not have tried, assuming meeting Preston to be a prerequisite for starting settlements in the Commonwealth. I think that of all the variants which I played, I either started out with Nuka World before doing anything else, which was my second big playthrough with my somewhat legendary Damascene Blade character ( :) ) or with Preston as my classic first approach. Yep, pretty sure now because I only had those two characters. I tried variants using savegames of my first character so it always was with the Minutemen start as a base, except of course the NW approach.

Quote from: fragger on June 01, 2018, 05:09:28 PMthat was his own damned fault. He jumped right in front of me while I was defending the place from Rust Devils and took a .45 slug in the back ::)
lol, fragger  :D

Quote from: fragger on June 01, 2018, 05:09:28 PMShould be fun too to bring Gage out into the Commonwealth early in the piece 8)
Absolutely. :) With him by my side, I had the most fun in the game—I did exactly what you're attempting now. I think what I liked best about Porter Gage (apart from his funny lines, of course) was that he constantly addressed me as "boss." He was both a loyal butler and a trusted bodyguard. And at times he served as an advisor, specifically on his home turf, NW.

fragger

Thanks mate :)

Yes, I was quite surprised to find that I could get settlements going right away, without meeting the Minutemen first. I was especially surprised that the Castle Workbench became accessible right after clearing out the 'lurks and their Queen, once again without the Minutemen, but I haven't done anything with it yet. Too focussed on other things to get done first.

I've started on NW. I got through the Gauntlet, bumped off Coulter and met Gage, then came straight back to the Commonwealth with a shiny new AK-type rifle, which I'll be modding up directly (just need to level up the "Rifleman" Perk to 5 so I can give it the best Receiver mod). I also bought around 1,000 rounds for it from Aaron, the weapons dealer in the NW marketplace, and about another 500 from Shelbie. Plenty of ammo for it :thumbsup: I also want to buy Aaron's "Splattercannon" variant of the AK, but at around 11,000 caps, that's as much money as I have in all the world right now. It'll just have to wait a while...

So, some serious kick-assery should ensue in the not-too-distant future :gnehe:

Tags:
🡱 🡳