Borderlands 3

Started by BinnZ, April 02, 2019, 12:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BinnZ

I am definitely looking forward to this 👍🙂

Seems Gearbox accidentally gave away release date, September 13. That's nice to know, however, probably just an indication.  😉
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

Art Blade

for a friend who's not affiliated with OWG, where did you get the release date from?

LowPolyOWG

Seems like it will be locked to Epic's inferior game store. Is it just another launcher? Some people are claiming it to be "spyware" as Tencent (Chinese investment company) owns 40+% of Epic's shares. Recently, Epic was caught stealing some components of Steam for it's launcher (a couple of files related to friend lists) and they have turned into paid exclusivity deals. Our favorite company added The Division 2 to Epic's launcher and guess what? People were unable to install TD2 through Epic's store ::) Metro: Exodus got pulled away from Steam as a last minute effort and customers who pre-ordered from Steam naturally got upset. Even a kickstarter game managed to harness some controversy, as backers originally were promised a Steam launch, which will no longer happen. Epic's Launcher miss a lot of things that Steam have, they had to create a roadmap of features they want to add over the next 6 months. You need over 6 months to add a basic feature like a shopping cart?! :angry-new: It also neglects customer account security. Got hacked and lost your money? Not our problem.

Epic will be more restrictive on what is allowed to their store, contrary to Steam, whose idea of including everything from school shoting simulators to games not including an executable file, have given Valve some rather unwanted attention from politicians. It's not a bad idea at all, setting rules for what is acceptable, in a partially lawless industry who doesn't care about anything, except money. However, what is bad, is offering something way inferior compared to what the competition offers. AAA publishers enjoy it, the cut Epic takes is more generous than Steam, 12% contra 30%. Valve recently adjusted it based upon shipped units, >10 million units, 20% cut. Some indie devs are happy with Epic thanks to their generosity, moderation and less crowded marketplace. While Steam lets everyone publish *bleep*, the features of Steam is way more superior than any other DRM/launcher solution available. Problem is, said *bleep* makes it hard for well done indie experiences to be noticed.

The only reason to use Epic's spyware launcher is whether you're an Unreal Engine dev or Fortnite gamer. I'd rather stick to Steam for most of my game launcher needs. Uplay/EA got backlash for making their games on Uplay/Origin, but neither never paid any other 3rd party developer to host their games on their platform.

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

I think I'll wait for anything on Epic to get released on Steam because you know it will eventually. Right now there's only one game there I'm remotely interested in, Satisfactory, and that's still early access and I can wait. I never got into the Borderlands series, even though I have Borderlands 2 that I got for free with a video card or something.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I've grown out of that type of game but man, I played the living daylights out of Borderlands when it was new, and BL2 as well.

LowPolyOWG

BinnZ

No purchase until next year :bigsmile:
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah I see a lot of people saying that on Reddit.

I actually booted up BL2 and loaded the new high resolution graphics and did a few things though I have no idea what's going on in that game. I'm pretty much still in the starting area doing random quests for some guy and looking for that robot. I'm always running out of ammo and am clueless about the guns and how they are supposed to w0#k. I think I have 6 or so but can only use two? I dunno. Might be more fun online so if that option comes up next year when BL3 is released, I might be up for it.
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Well, better wait for the Steam version/patches. Game is behaving weird on PCs (deleting your save games, poor performance) and 2K/Gearbox had the brilliant idea of supplying reviewers with a buggy demo build ??? Giving reviewers the impression of a broken game. Obviously something you do not want them to tell your potential customers. People are already venting their frustration on Steam's Borderlands 2 page. No, can't do that on the Fortnite launcher as Epic still have no clue how to integrate that and a shopping cart on their "service"...

Polygon article

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Oh boy, that's just great. I saw some live streams of this and though it seems OK I just can't get into the graphics style, same as BL2 which I gave up on after the first mission.
D_B

Art Blade

:anigrin: BL1 was really novel and cool. I enjoyed modding weapons. BL2 was more of the same, not so novel and not so cool anymore.. I hardly remember it. When the "prequel" was released as a sequel, I didn't even look.

PZ

I never managed to appreciate the cartoonish graphics.

Tags:
🡱 🡳