Generation Zero

Started by BinnZ, April 07, 2019, 04:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

No update this month, or only a minimal one, as all the devs are on vacation, or holiday as the case may be.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

so you guys over there acknowledge the term "holiday?" :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

Here the word Holiday is generally reserved for a specific day, that everyone (or most everyone) usually gets time off w0#k for, like Christmas or New Year's Day. But when someone is taking time off w0#k, it's almost always termed as a vacation.

A common question would be "Doing anything for the holiday?" as in, the upcoming day or usually long weekend associated with it. Where as taking a week or two off w0#k would be "Where are you going for vacation?"
D_B

Art Blade

:)

From my experience, people in the UK would call time off w0#k "holiday," as in, "I'm going on holiday," while they would refer to those special days as "bank holidays." Like, "ah, tomorrow is a bank holiday, we don't have to go to the office tomorrow."

Dweller_Benthos

lol, here, a "bank holiday" is usually a non-federal holiday that only some people get time off for, like people who w0#k in banks heh. But here in New York State, it's usually called a state holiday as people who w0#k in the state government get it off but not a lot of private companies offer it as a day off, case in point, Columbus Day, Valentine's Day, etc. Though I think even state workers don't usually get Valentine's Day off.
D_B

Art Blade

thanks, that was new to me. I find it very interesting what you said about bank holidays for people who w0#k in banks, that may indeed be the reason why it's called that. When you look it up, it seems to be a typical British term and apparently it's widely used in the UK.

"Bank holiday is from 1871, though the tradition is as old as the Bank of England."
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=%22bank+holiday%22

Dweller_Benthos

Right, that ties into the other saying "Keeping banker's hours" as in they close at three in the afternoon and don't open until nine or ten in the morning.
D_B

Art Blade

haha, yet again something I haven't come across before, cheers :)

fragger

"Vacation" seems to be a uniquely American term. Here, as in the UK, everything is "holidays" - "public holidays", "to go away for a holiday", "school holidays", "so-and-so isn't here, he's on holiday", etc. Any days off, whether they're official or voluntary, are "holidays". Nobody really says "vacation" here, although sometimes I do on the forum for the benefit of my US friends, to avoid any confusion.

Even the money for paid leave is casually referred to as "Holiday Pay" (permanent full-time and part-time workers in Australia get 4 weeks of paid annual leave - essentially, one week's worth every financial quarter, which can be accrued from one quarter to the next, even over subsequent years. I once racked up 10 weeks' worth of holidays over a two-and-a-half year period before I got told, "take some of your holidays already!" Employers generally don't like it when you rack up too much holiday time because they're afraid you'll take the lot in one go - which you are entitled to do - and possibly leave them short-handed for too long, which is a fair enough concern. So you can actually get badgered by your boss to take a holiday :gnehe:)

Of course the word "holiday" originally began life as "holy day" and only applied to religious observations such as Easter Sunday or Lent. It has since become a blanket term for any vacation or day(s) of leisure spent off w0#k - here and in the UK, anyway. I'm assuming that "vacation" came about in the US because such employees were temporarily "vacating" their positions.

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on July 29, 2019, 08:09:52 AM
No update this month, or only a minimal one, as all the devs are on vacation, or holiday as the case may be.

Very rare for game devs, which are often "rewarded" with 100+ hour w0#k weeks with no additional pay, QA department horror stories of testers being locked into their offices for weeks and fired on the spot if they get sick.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

BinnZ

Quote from: fragger on August 19, 2019, 07:33:41 AM
Of course the word "holiday" originally began life as "holy day" and only applied to religious observations such as Easter Sunday or Lent. It has since become a blanket term for any vacation or day(s) of leisure spent off w0#k - here and in the UK, anyway. I'm assuming that "vacation" came about in the US because such employees were temporarily "vacating" their positions.

Interesting. I didn't think of the origin of the word holiday but I did think of where 'vacation' may have come from. I thought of the French, and the Spanish btw. I think it's a Latin origin, and most of those countries don't know holiday at all. They only use the word 'vacance' or 'vacanciones'. We in Holland use 'vakantie' but also we know the term 'verlof', which refers to the military. It means 'permission'. But 'vakantie' is more common.
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

it's indeed derived from Latin and came over the French language to the English language:

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=vacation

Dweller_Benthos

No matter what you call it, there's still no update, lol  :laughsm:
D_B

Art Blade

sounds as if they were swapping devs back and forth between their group and HELLO games.

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

Tags:
🡱 🡳