Generation Zero

Started by BinnZ, April 07, 2019, 04:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BinnZ

If you encounter a harvester; use your .50 sniper. It will make schreds of the thing with less than a clip. Sometimes even 4 shots is sufficient. It can be done from large distances and saves you the numerous hunters.
However, an encounter like that can still surprise you. I had several fights where I had to fight off well over 30 hunters, plus the harvester and the patrolling dog packs who just decided to sniff by, lol :anigrin:
"No hay luz"

BinnZ

Quote from: Art Blade on May 12, 2020, 01:28:58 PM
very good post that you wrote there. I hope they take notice and perhaps rethink their concepts.

You reminded me of myself right now. I'm currently playing a brand new game XCOM: Chimera Squad (not posting about it here because nobody cares about turn-based strategy games here) and I just changed my steam "recommendation" to "NOT recommended."

Here it is if you're interested.
Spoiler
I played and liked XCOM, then "XCOM: Enemy Within" but a little less, and what followed I didn't play nor like. Then SUDDENLY this game pops up and I'm once again having proper fun :) Fresh, different, but still the old XCOM-feeling to it. Without those RNG-heavy things like base-building and recruits but straight into the action, LOADS of new stuff, the best is probably the turncoat grenade that you toss at your enemies and lean back grinning while they start to tear themselves apart. LOL, great fun so far. Played 9 and 8 hours straight, not even noticing that. I know I'm a bit early to recommend it after 17 hours but damn, the price is really good and for that money I had tons of fun already. :)

1st edit: "17" and allowed comments.

2nd edit: Now that I have progressed a lot, tested, fought with bugs of various kinds, especially losing items including epic weapons and losing abilities.. I still like this game but I'm wary now because of the *bleep* happening. As of now, like about 80 hours experience, 12th of May 2020, I'd say WAIT until it's patched. Forums are full with bug reports right now so let's hope they actually fix some of the weirdest bugs quickly.

Because of the trouble I had and kind of losing my whole career and using mods to fix bugs that may be game-breaking (I watched a vid showing someone losing his weapons WHILE ON A MISSION rendering that character useless, and it was on ironman difficulty...) and using the console to get lost items back...

right now I cannot recommend it any more. Until they fixed those bugs.

Good that you changed it, sad but true that most games seem bug fests nowadays :(
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

yes, it's sad. The game would be brilliant without those bugs, lots of fun, the difficulty matches your progress. I never planned on cheating in this game. I usually don't cheat in games like that. I don't think I cheated in previous XCOM games except that I did make use of "save scamming" in order to get soldiers with favourable stats. Like, someone with good aim didn't become a sniper so I kept reloading until he became a sniper. At the same time, 3 other guys of the squad would become something random I couldn't control with save scamming. But that was about it, just tried to "assign" roles to people who were better suited for them than what the game's RNG decided to do and unfortunately there was no option to choose a role, just RNG.

Now, it's different. I'm forced to cheat in order to be able to play, like adding items that got deleted thanks to bugs. And well, while I'm at it, and since the career is screwed anyway, I use cheats both for fun and to learn stuff for the next playthrough.

Hopefully a patch will have been released by then.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah that's what my friend was saying, that the bugs in the new Xcom games are really out of hand. Beta level bugs, not even stuff you'd expect in early access much less a full release.

ehhhhh.... we'll patch it later .....
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

Well, they at least admit to making a mistake and are trying to fix it.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

"Let's cut right to it - we overdid it"

question is, will they revert it? :anigrin: Also, when?

"We're also taking a pass at some QoL improvements to the inventory and crafting menus that should make things clearer when using them."

Maybe I'm wrong but.. I know "to make a pass at someone," which I don't think is what they mean here, and I know "to take a pass on something," which kind of doesn't make sense especially when looking at the following sentence mentioning other things that were made.

I'm a bit puzzled now.

fragger

Regarding the video D_B posted, that looked like a nightmare of a game :huh-new: I know it wasn't always like that - from what our members who played it from the beginning have reported, it was always a relatively tough game, but not insanely tough. I don't think I could bear to have a go at it.

Art Blade

ah man, I was hoping you (next best native speaker) would pick up on the "take/make a pass on/at" but maybe someone else does :)

fragger

I've never come across that expression either, but from the context I take it to mean that they're "taking a look" at it with a view to tweaking it and making it more player-friendly.

I've never heard anyone say they were "taking a pass" at something. Since the devs are based in Sweden, maybe it's some kind of local expression that didn't quite translate into English.

Art Blade

thank you, fragger. And indeed.. I didn't think of that possibility, that they aren't native speakers and may simply have confused something. :)

BinnZ

Well despite the horrible difficulty, we decided to push on further a bit and see if we could complete the missions in the fogged area. Well, it wasn't nice, fighting robots while you only see half of what's actually happening around you, but when we entered a bunker complex to shut down artillery stations, we got surprised by a very weird side effect to the fog; the fog in that region is everywhere, even in underground bunkers, and the fog together with the artificial light causes some sort of glow on the glancing parts of our weapons. it's crazy; take a look at this:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Looking through your scope:

This is where we decided to stop playing:
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

they might have overdone it a bit there as well.

LowPolyOWG

Reminds of that bug in MW 2019, where metallic weapon camos would cause this effect
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Tags:
🡱 🡳