Generation Zero

Started by BinnZ, April 07, 2019, 04:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Well that's excitement enough for sure!
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

nex

I was about 11 years old when we went to the farm of family member for few days, my dad's friend was with us.
Early the one morning I went for a walk in the bush to see if I could find and shoot a guinea-fowl using my dad's friend's .22 Hornet in case I run into an Impale. My dad's friend always load the rifle with both the standard and soft nose tips just in case he bumps into an Impala, so I was warned to make sure which round to use for what I'd be shooting at. I came across some guinea-fowl forgetting to check my ammo I shot one.
As I was approaching the house carrying the fowl by it's legs I saw my dad and his friend outside looking towards me as I was walking towards them, grinning he pointed at the fowl and said "I see you didn't check your ammo before you shot him".
Well I got my fowl alright but shooting it with a .22 Hornet soft nose will leave you with the head, feet and a bunch of feathers, nothing else.    :anigrin:
Respect is earned, not given.

fragger

PZ, if we had wildlife like bears and cougars, I'd be a gun-owner for sure. You need a firearm where you live - just in case. If it comes to a choice between you and your wife or a bear, you have to do what you must to defend yourselves.

The only outdoor threats I have to deal with are of the eight-legged variety, but I have a loaded flip-flop to deal with them and I'm not afraid to use it :gnehe:

lol nex :laughsm: So I take it there was no roast guinea-fowl on the menu that night?  :anigrin:

PZ

Quote from: nex on December 17, 2022, 05:24:58 PM
Well I got my fowl alright but shooting it with a .22 Hornet soft nose will leave you with the head, feet and a bunch of feathers, nothing else.    :anigrin:

:D

PZ

Quote from: fragger on December 19, 2022, 01:18:35 AM
The only outdoor threats I have to deal with are of the eight-legged variety, but I have a loaded flip-flop to deal with them and I'm not afraid to use it :gnehe:

Some of those spiders look to be as large in diameter as a dinner plate - maybe you need a gun after all.  :gnehe:

fragger

:D

Those monsters only really inhabit the far north. Down my way, I only have to deal with hand-sized ones :anigrin: Just joking, I very rarely see a big one, but I do have to deal with the occasional redback. These are small, an inch or less across the legs, but they are venomous. They're not aggressive though and not necessarily fatal, unless you don't get treatment, and even then it's not like you only have minutes to get help (it's in your best interests to hustle up though). They're related to American Black Widows and look much the same, except they have a bright red stripe on their back instead of on their belly.

They're not the type of spider to come in the house though, fortunately. They're mainly ground-huggers who like to hang out under low-lying things, and they stay put, don't move around much.

I did find a nasty on the garage floor a few months back though. I don't know what it was, but it was robust, black and evil-looking, about three inches across the legs and a big bulbous abdomen about the size of a marble. When it comes to native creepy-crawlies, my motto is: "If in doubt, whack it out". Can't afford to take chances if unsure of the species, and my general rule of thumb is if it looks wicked, it very likely is. This thing looked like it would give me a pretty bad day if it bit me.

nex

Quote from: fragger on December 19, 2022, 01:18:35 AM
lol nex :laughsm: So I take it there was no roast guinea-fowl on the menu that night?  :anigrin:
Lucky my uncle had slaughtered a young bull-calf a day or two before we arrived   :(
Respect is earned, not given.

Tags:
🡱 🡳