Started by BinnZ, April 07, 2019, 04:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

:anigrin:

Good to hear other people using my strat :bigsmile:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

BinnZ

I finally found a "full" vision enhancer. It was on a tier 2 Hunter. It shows 3 little optics on the inventory image :)
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

BinnZ

I did some research on the bullet drop today. I used my primary character that has the Marksman perk unlocked. It means absolutely NO weapon sway. That's brilliant, and ideal for testing things like bullet drop.

To measure the distance in a straight line I went to the airfield. The big one in the centre of the large island. I used the coordinates on the map and the largest distance I could overview and still see the impact point of my shot was 850 meters. Assuming that each point in the coordinates stands for 1 meter, which seems quite accurate given the size of the runway. That should be just over 1 kilometre.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I decided to test the Pansarvärnsgevär 90, which takes .50BMG rounds, both FMJ and AP. I used the largest magnifying scope (8x16) and started my testing with FMJ rounds.

I aimed at white containers because they appear to be visible from a larger distance than buildings. Buildings turn into roughly cut blocks at larger distances than 600 or 700 meters while the containers still show as supposed to. And they show the impact of the bullet, to check where it actually hit the thing. I assume that the height of one container is 4 meters, so the bullet drop is measured with that as a standard. Half a container is 1 meter, 2 containers is 4 meters etc.

The largest possible distance I could perform with the rifle was, over there, 850 meters. I had to aim a meter above the second container to make the bullet hit the lowest container just above the ground. So bullet drop @850m ≈ 5 meters.
I found that quite a large drop. You can literally see your bullet travel along a curved path from rifle towards point of impact. But 5 meters drop within a km seems a bit much. The time it takes to travel that distance is roughly a second.
I checked both FMJ and AP rounds with the same results. There's no notable difference in bullets concerning bullet drop or travelling time.

The second distance I wanted to test is 500 meters. That's quite a realistic shot distance with a sniper rifle in this game. When I hit at the top of a container, it would hit it right in the centre. So bullet drop @500m ≈ 1 meter.
That sounds a lot more acceptable. At least quite workable on such a distance.

The final distance I tested was 300 meters. That's a range you would often spot enemies at without them being aware of your presence, so also an important distance to know more or less what your bullet will do. I aimed at the top of the container again, and the bullet would hit it just below the top. Something like a hand length I'd say. So bullet drop @300m ≈ 20 centimetres. 

The path of the bullet, dropping quicker over time seems realistic to me. However, I would think that a .50 sniper rifle wouldn't suffer from such an enormous bullet drop within a kilometre, so I did some research. I found this site: shooterscalculator.com
And to be fair; at 900 yards a .50 BMG round should drop roughly 15 feet, which is exactly the values I found in the game testing. Roughly 4.5 meters drop after 850 meters distance.

So yeah, that's quite accurate. However, I read that the .50 round that this site shows is 750 grams. That is quite heave for a bullet, don't you think? Is this the anti tank round maybe, that is only used by mounted sniper rifles on vehicles? Not sure. Imagine you are carrying a rifle with 18 rounds in the magazine like I do in the game. That magazine alone gotta weigh 14 kilos. And then the rifle itself. Heavy stuff man!

So much for testing tonight, might do some testing with the other two hunting rifles later this week ;)
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Ballistic coefficiency is also worth a read. Most rifle class firearms use the "G7" model.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_coefficient

The game lacks zeroing (which is adjusting the reticle/sights to a set distance, so you don't need to aim higher). If you set a rifle scope to 500, that means the bullets will fly to 500 meters, before dropping. It really depends on the weapon/projectile (civilian ammo might not be as powerful as military rounds).

EDIT: Speaking with some GZ players on the Discord, the values for the weapons have been datamined. .50 cal AP rounds has a ballistic coefficiency of ~0.64

Quote from: BinnZ on May 07, 2019, 02:03:51 PM
To measure the distance in a straight line I went to the airfield. The big one in the centre of the large island. I used the coordinates on the map and the largest distance I could overview and still see the impact point of my shot was 850 meters. Assuming that each point in the coordinates stands for 1 meter, which seems quite accurate given the size of the runway. That should be just over 1 kilometre

A waypoint would be better?

BinnZ

Quote from: OWGKID on May 08, 2019, 12:26:52 AM
Ballistic coefficiency is also worth a read. Most rifle class firearms use the "G7" model.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_coefficient

The game lacks zeroing (which is adjusting the reticle/sights to a set distance, so you don't need to aim higher). If you set a rifle scope to 500, that means the bullets will fly to 500 meters, before dropping. It really depends on the weapon/projectile (civilian ammo might not be as powerful as military rounds).

EDIT: Speaking with some GZ players on the Discord, the values for the weapons have been datamined. .50 cal AP rounds has a ballistic coefficiency of ~0.64

And I thought you didn't like math :o

Thanx chaps for the extra info, but really, this is not going to be a serious study of mine, it's supposed to be some testing to see what ballistics actually do in the game. I haven't come across a game that does actual zeroing, although I don't remember what Arma 3 does, that was quite professional. You had to measure both distance and wind if I'm correct, and I used the scope to check distances and guess bullet drop etc.
In there I managed to hit a target in the head a couple of times at a distance of more or less 1500 meters.

Indeed GKID, a waypoint might make it easier. But will it give you the actual distance? Never noticed :bigsmile: However, I'm not known for paying attention to detail too much :anigrin:
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

:anigrin:

Like that $p@rts car driver who stopped to ask a local where he was and was given the name of the street. "No details," the driver replied, "which town?"

LowPolyOWG

fragger

Shooting seems pretty complex and realistic in this game. Sounds pretty cool actually, not the usual dead-straight travel and instant hit. Remember the dart gun in FC2? Those darts travelled at light-speed :gnehe:

Art Blade

for the fun factor, I usually prefer straight line shooting. Unless it's quite realistic like in this game here, can be handled. I despise those overly exaggerated bullet drops in other games.

fragger

Yeah, I think I prefer shooting games as opposed to shooting simulators :gnehe:

Art Blade

fragger

Even so, it sounds like you guys who are playing are having a great time with it. Good on you, chaps 8) :thumbsup: I don't think the game is my cup of tea, but I'm enjoying reading about the exploits of you fellows who are getting into it. Interesting reportts you're turning in :thumbsup:

Art Blade

same here, and yes, indeed. O0

Tags:
🡱 🡳