Pointless Trivia

Started by fragger, April 19, 2019, 05:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

those koeksisters look very yummie, nex.. MMmmmh!

Nice pic, Binn! Now I remember them, too :)

PZ

Interesting - I'd never heard of them until now.  O0

Art Blade

For some reason I just remembered a scene, back from my school days when I was a teenager, in a biology class. I thought it might be worth sharing here, with one particular intention:

if you have teenage kids (need to be at least one boy and one girl) or know someone who does, it's a pretty funny challenge or bet you can create with it.

Our teacher asked two boys (I was one of them) and two girls to come forward and walk up close to a wall facing it, then to lean forward so they'd touch the wall with their foreheads. Next, she told them to walk back a little just so much that they would still be touching the wall.

Then she told them to stand straight without moving their feet, just to return to a normal upright position.

What do you think happened?

Spoiler
the boys were like nailed to the wall fighting with themselves to get up while the girls effortlessly went back to a straight upright position. I mean, I was one of the boys and believe me, it was impossible to get back up and it was a bit annoying to know the girls were already back up. lol

What do you think is the reason? You may have guessed right by now.

Spoiler
Centre of mass. :) Boys have theirs in their shoulders (at least when they're no kids anymore) so they're too heavy to get over the threshold. Girls have theirs in their pelvis so they don't have that threshold to worry about ;)

It was really cool to have seen that, the whole class was fascinated and had fun. Many of the observers went to the next wall and tried that themselves right away. :)

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

Yep I immediately thought "lower center of gravity" before opening the spoiler. Those wider hips will get you every time.... and in more ways than one.....  O0
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

mandru

55 years ago September 18, 1964: The Addams Family debuted on TV.  It ran for two seasons with a total of 64 episodes.

My favorite character was Uncle Fester played by Jackie Coogan who I later learned had been a big childhood star that had been horribly taken advantage of by both the production companies (for example being told his dog had died right before a shoot to make him cry) and his parents who grabbed up and spent every penny he had earned on themselves.

Jackie Coogan as an adult championed and was through testimony highly instrumental in establishing laws (the Coogan Act) that addressed the treatment of child actors so that they would not experience the misfortunes he had endured.

Either way he was a hero to me.  :)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

fragger

That was a cool tidbit of info Art O0 Cheers!

lol D_B :D Beware the dangerous curves!

Interesting that you bring up Jackie Coogan mandru, I was just watching a program on You Tube about him a few days ago. Yes indeed, he was an inspiration.

I still love the old Addams Family TV series O0 That never loses its appeal for me.

I remember a scene in an episode where they decided to have a family picnic - and being the Addamses, they of course had it in their back yard in the middle of the night. Lurch and Cousin Itt were off by themselves, Lurch doing his bass growling thing ("Urrrhhhhh") and Itt speaking gibberish ("<sped-up incoherent muttering noises>").

Cut to Gomez and Morticia sitting together. Morticia says, "Oh, look at Lurch and Itt, Gomez! Isn't that sweet? They do so love to talk about politics!" :gnehe:

Art Blade

fragger

See if you can guess what's happening here:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

[spoiler text=answer]
The guy on the far right stands on a plastic dog bowl with one hand holding an electric fence to his left. Then, one at a time from right to left, the others also climb onto something non-conductive and take the hand of the person to their left. Finally, the guy on the far left, WITHOUT insulating himself and with one shoe off, joins the chain. When the electric pulse comes down the fence - ZAP!

[/spoiler]

Art Blade

nex

I like the way the girl takes off  :D
Respect is earned, not given.

Dweller_Benthos

In shop class in middle school we had a small hand generator that we would make a chain of people completing the circuit from it's electrodes. Then one person would slowly crank the handle getting faster and faster until the charge built up enough to go through everyone and we'd all jump around much like that. This was actually endorsed and encouraged by the teacher so we'd all learn the power and effects of electricity and maybe be a little more careful around it.

We probably did it a little more often than was required though, and of course, there'd be people who made the boast they could hang on longer, or while someone really cranked the handle as fast as they could, all to the amusement of the rest of us, of course.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

nex

Like the magneto from the old crank phones D_B, that thing makes one's teeth rattle..... :-X :anigrin:
Respect is earned, not given.

Tags:
🡱 🡳