Games as a service is a fraud/plague on the industry

Started by LowPolyOWG, April 30, 2019, 04:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

TL:DW

GaaS games generally have no way of customers letting them play their games, when servers/support is ceased, which can conflict with consumer protection laws in countries. Often barebone and lacking in content on release. In case of SP games, developers make a problem, only to sell you the solution (Ubishit and their boosters for AC Grindyssey, GTA Online/RDR2 Online with their shark cards/gold bars). Also, time. I can't dedicate my gaming time to several of those grindy games. And publishers? They don't care. Governments? Nah, they are either paid off/politicians doesn't care about regulating them, as gaming are kinda off-the-radar. Except for Belgium/Netherlands, which put the foot down and called "loot boxes" for gambling. I see major national news outlets reporting about the popularity of Fortnite. Not so much about the working conditions at Epic, (or any other game studio) which are runining people's lives.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

BinnZ

The game industry has attracted too many filthy rich bastards with the moral conscience of a crocodile, or better; a tick.
It is nasty what their deeds do to customers, but GKID you are right; it is far worse what they do to the creative minds developing our beloved game worlds.

Somehow I hope the game industry will settle down on some basic engines that do the job for any game and make it possible to regulate the market. It really needs regulation. Problem is; the development in the market goes so damn quick, as with all these high tech based markets nowadays, it's impossible for laws to keep up.  :undecided-new:
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

Yeah. Laws can keep up, but doesn't help when politicians are lobbied into not caring/have no idea on what's going on. Funny, Mark Zuckerberg called for better regulations on the Internet through state/nationwide laws.

While Generation Zero will be a live service type of game, I can still keep playing it for years, when Avalanche stops supporting it. Can't do that with Destiny 2, which need a constant server connection to function. Most stuff is tied to servers (Vendor NPCs won't spawn etc)
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Tags:
🡱 🡳