Call of Duty: WW2

Started by PZ, April 23, 2017, 09:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I mean, those scenes with the train were spectacular. ??? :) Did you notice that during basically every mission, you're surrounded by at least some of your fellow soldiers but you're the only one who actually hits anything? Why can't "team mates" actually shoot to kill, in a war scenario, where you'd never survive on your own when surrounded by enemies, outnumbered, perhaps outclassed.. you're the only working gun.

More BS.

LowPolyOWG

CoD is a shooting gallery ::)
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

Alright.. :anigrin:

I just watched that German scene again (had to catch up with the train scene first, didn't watch that yesterday) and now I noticed something interesting:

While Rousseau is speaking English, she's got a nice French accent. She mentions the German name Heinrich, with French accent, without "h" (they don't pronounce the H, so it's 'otel instead of hotel, and 'einrich instead of Heinrich) but when she has to speak German, the H is there, so it's a perfect Heinrich all of a sudden and no French accent at all :laughsm: :banghead:

Also funny, the guy in front of her gets waved through with the words, "danke sehr, fahren Sie weiter." Which translates to, "thank you very much, drive on."

He's on foot.

LowPolyOWG

Nice  O0 Being a non-native speaker of German, I never noticed those small imperfections as you pointed out. That mission is a favourite of mine, it's nice to hear the conversations. Most of it are similar to what we learned in school.

Zussman speaks broken German,
Spoiler
he says this in the mission Collateral Damage: "Kann jemand eine Laster fahren?
Wir brauchen eine *gibberish*"
That's what I get from his question.

Maybe Rousseau has two voice actors? Or do french people generally speak with a French accent when they try to speak German?

Art Blade

cheers. :) I'll get back to your spoiler later when I've come across it.

I found another tiny imperfection, you keep seeing documents Rousseau picks up, they're all of the the same prefab form and down centre there is a stamp that reads

Dokument vom Kommandanten gelesen und genehmigt (perfect)
Freiheit grossdeutschlands (weird, partially wrong)

The first bit translates to, "document read and approved by the commander"
the second bit, ignoring spelling, reads "liberty (or freedom) of greater Germany"

I've never seen that last bit on any document, not that I can remember.

Looking at "Freiheit." I don't know why Nazi Germany would even mention Liberty or Freedom in conjunction with their empire. They were oppressors, they weren't oppressed. They didn't need liberation or to be free. They thought themselves superior and took from everyone else. 

The following word, "grossdeutschlands" -- the ending "s" indicates a genitive, as in "of" or "...'s " like "Gereater Geman Reich's" or "of the Greater German Reich." Grammar rules, called flexion, to keep that simple, are the reasons for the ending "s."

However, the spelling is wrong, doubly so: what they wrote should have been a noun, spelled with a capital G, and "ß" instead of "ss," like Großdeutschlands.

There's more wrong about that, and a lot for that matter.

Back in the day, starting 1943, Germany was called "das Großdeutsche Reich." Note that "Großdeutsche" is spelled with "ß" rather than "ss." It's worth mentioning that "großdeutsch" (no capital G) was an adjective (or modifier) indicating both great and German. Different endings like "Großdeutsche" or "Großdeutsches" are just due to grammar rules (flexions) so don't worry about those and the capital G because it's part of a proper name. "Reich" means empire or realm. Literally the whole term translates to "great-German empire" or better, and officially, to "Greater German Reich."

In other words, the last line of that stamp appears to be totally fabricated and is neither historically nor grammatically correct, nor does it make any sense. :anigrin:

And one BIG HORROR example of a NON-native speaker trying to make us believe he was German.. that Heinrich character. Oh dear, oh dear, now THAT'S cringe-worthy :anigrin:

Also, it eludes me why he suggests to switch from German to ENGLISH with a German accent (although he isn't German, neither is his accent) when she's French, and why she plays along for some time, going from perfect, accent-free German to English with that heavy French accent again :banghead:

You know, in that mansion, the German background chats are all great, perfect. I picked up one that I found funny, "ich kann das französische Essen nicht mehr sehen!" wich means, "I can't stand French food any longer." :D

LowPolyOWG

And the other guy then mentions how a bratwurst would be good :anigrin:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Here's an order found in-game. I didn't took the picture when it was in German.

Have you seen the soldiers playing cards? They have a funny conversation when it comes to dating French women and how "Johann" is always winning that card game :gnehe:

Art Blade

yep, and they're taking more of Otto's money, whose luck with cards matches his luck with women :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

:D :anigrin:

A thing I did on my first playthrough was that I told all of the officers the code phrase. Realistically, not very discreet and it turns out I could rather ask about Fischer instead.

Art Blade

Well, CoD is a shooting gallery.  :-X

I couldn't resist :D

Quote from: OWGKID on December 13, 2017, 05:59:34 AMMaybe Rousseau has two voice actors? Or do french people generally speak with a French accent when they try to speak German?

Whoops, forgot to reply to that one.

I think they're two or even three voice actresses. From what I can tell, her French sounds really good, but I'm not good enough at French to tell anything else.

Usually non-native speaking people have accents. It takes a lot to get rid of an accent, and I mean a lot. So judging from her accent when she speaks English, I'd expect her to have an accent in German as well, or judging from her German, I'd expect her to speak English without a French accent. However, that doesn't generally have to be that way. If she had lived both in France and in Germany, enough to speak both languages like a native-speaker, but never really spoke much English, then perhaps she'd have a French accent.

However, there's something in this particular case that I already pointed out, the H. It's impossible that you don't know how to pronounce Heinrich correctly when speaking English but that you do know when speaking German. Both the English and the German language pronounce the H, so we say Hotel, while the French don't, so they say 'otel. So if she had learned how to pronounce the H and does it correctly when speaking German, why wouldn't she pronounce a German name correctly all of a sudden when speaking English? Only to make her French accent when speaking English sound more believable? :banghead: :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

:laughsm:

He he, languages are a funny thing  :anigrin: Honestly, I would never be able to notice those imperfections. Wait, I googled up Rosseau's voice actress and she's from Berlin  ??? Must explain why Rousseau's German is so perfect :anigrin:

Full WW2 cast

Looks like SHG hired some German actors to help them out with some of the dialogue :o

PZ

I absolutely love the WW2 setting, and if a good one came up I'd go for it in an instant. The last WW2 game I liked was Band of Brothers Hells Highway, which was linear, but so good I loved it.

LowPolyOWG

You should check out the playlist I shared on page 4 (if you show 25 posts per page, it might be different for you) :)

PZ

I will. If the game play looks good enough, I might just get the game.  O0

LowPolyOWG

If you watched BoB as AB pointed out, you might get yourself into it. Just be aware that SHG likes to deploy large updates for the MP portion ::) Recent update was like 12 GBs on PC

PZ

That might nix it for me - the reason I do not play GTA5 is the massive updates on a regular basis, most of which are for MP which I have absolutely no interest in.

Tags:
🡱 🡳