Call of Duty: WW2

Started by PZ, April 23, 2017, 09:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Bella Dayne doesn't sound German at all. The first name would be Italian (usually translates to "the beautiful") and the last one sounds very much of English origin. If you look at her game passport, there are four languages listed. English, French, German and.. Italian. Looks as if that was a reference to the voice actress. :) So she might indeed have grown up speaking several languages which would explain why I can't detect any accents except the one she obviously for dramaturgical reasons forced upon us. :)

Funny goof I noticed, in her game passport her residence is Hamburg but when Rousseau (as Schneider) is talking about herself, she mentions Berlin. The voice actress's place of birth.

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

I noticed something else they got wrong: "Gestapo Soldier." Who did the research for them? Or, more likely, who ignored it? Gestapo stands for Geheime Staatspolizei or Secret State Police. They were policemen, not soldiers, and definitely not both at the same time.

LowPolyOWG

Those guards could probably be SS personnel (judging by the black uniforms).

Art Blade

that's true in a way as the Gestapo was a subdivision of the SS (abbreviation for Schutzstaffel, translates to "Protection Squadron") and they controlled the Sicherheitsdienst ("Security Service") of which the Gestapo was part of. But they were no soldiers. It was a paramilitary organization.

However, that didn't mean a thing because Reichsführer-SS Himmler effectively only answered to Hitler who effectively controlled both army and the paramilitary organisation.

Art Blade

I suppose you were thinking of the brown uniforms (so-called Brownshirts) of the SA (Sturmabteilung, "Storm Detachment") that was the original paramilitary organisation of the NSDAP (Nazi Party). The SS used to belong to them, a branch, but they were split and separated. The SA became a training school for armed forces and lost most of its members to the military service in the Wehrmacht (armed forces) -- the soldiers you might have been referring to.

LowPolyOWG

Hmm, I just took a closer look on their model and they appear to wear a brown shirt under their jacket.

Art Blade

Hehe, doesn't matter much, they screwed up so many details already. ;)

Hey, just came across the scene you mentioned.

Quote from: OWGKID on December 13, 2017, 05:59:34 AMZussman speaks broken German,
Spoiler
he says this in the mission Collateral Damage: "Kann jemand eine Laster fahren?
Wir brauchen eine *gibberish*"
That's what I get from his question.

Yep, almost perfect. O0 "Kann jemand einen Laster fahren?" (can anyone drive a lorry?)
and then, "wir-n-eigen-bräugen-eugenlich" what the heck is that?? You're right, it IS gibberish, but not any German that I am capable of making any sense of. :D

LowPolyOWG

Good to know I was almost correct :)

Art Blade

you could enable subtitles. They're almost always spot on in this game and translate the main German dialogue. However, I don't rely on them. For instance, the English subtitle was, "can any of you drive a truck?" while I translated it to "can anyone drive a lorry?"  :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

I have subtitles enabled. Being an American game, they use the word "truck" rather than the British "lorry". Same thing happened with CoD4, Price orders you to get on top of the "dumpster" rather than the British "bin" ;)

Art Blade

yes, but I noticed that I came up with "anyone" while they used "any of you" and I think there are even more options. Just from the top of my head, I could have asked, "does anyone know how to drive a lorry/truck?" or very freely, "if you guys want to make it out of here, one of you needs to drive this bloody piece of *bleep*." :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

LowPolyOWG

This game has been very dead (about 500-700 players active on Steam) and it destroyed the studio that developed it. Some design decision was not liked by the community, which led the greedy bastards at Activision to "promote" Schofield and Condrey, before sacking them. Then, multiplayer was overhauled in April 2018, to make it more of a traditional CoD experience.

After the two bosses got fired, they took some of Sledgehammer Games' (SHG) employees with them. This lead Kotaku to reveal the shocking news that SHG/Treyarch will co-develop a Black Ops reboot this year. SHG had some internal crisis between them and partner Raven. The original concept for WW2 was a sequel to their futuristic Advanced Warfare. However, EA's release of Battlefield 1 in 2016 and maybe SHG wanted to return to a historical setting, probably made Activision greenlight their WW2 entry.

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳