Call of Duty: WW2

Started by PZ, April 23, 2017, 09:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I want to clarify that my post before the last one was a joke.

And to the last one I want to clarify that generally speaking, well-trained female officers (be it police or military) are just as worthy as well-trained male officers. Showing one spectacular screw-up of a female officer can definitely be countered by spectacular screw-ups of male officers. Those incidents should not be regarded as "this is typical" for either gender. They're just screw-ups.

Whether someone feels comfortable is something personal and I understand and acknowledge that there are people who just don't feel comfortable.

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

I do enjoy playing as a female character in some games. My operator in GWR is a female and same case for my MP characters in the latest CoD games that have them. I assume developers do this to appeal to girl gamers too.

Art Blade

or the boys who just enjoy looking at a female character. :anigrin: I played a lot as female character but it depends on the game. If the female characters just look good, hell, why not :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

fragger

I enjoy being Lara Croft. Er... I mean, I enjoy playing Tomb Raider as Lara Croft...

Does anyone remember an old game (circa 2000) called Nobody Lives Forever? It was an earlyish FPS and your character was like a female James Bond (called Cate Archer). The game was set in the swinging sixties and Archer was a sexy operative in some kind of British Secret Service-type agency. It was a surprisingly fun game, and it was a cool change to see female hands holding the weapons and hear the clackity-clack of high heels instead of thudding combat boots when she ran around. It was actually quite challenging too. Stealth played an important part in the game, as well as all-out action. Graphics were kind of boxy but not bad for their day, and the shooting mechanic was well done. She had some trick gadgets like lipstick-grenades, perfume bottle gas bombs, a hair barrette that she could use to pick locks, designer sunnies that could take photos, a belt-buckle with a zip cord in it, a robot poodle to distract guard dogs, a briefcase rocket launcher, a cigarette lighter/welding torch and pennies that she could throw to distract bad guys. There was a good selection of proper weapons as well, some of which could take attachments (I think it was actually the first FPS game to feature this). Quite a fun game with a witty, humorous storyline which poked respectful fun at the sixties' British Bondian spy-movie era. Groovy, man :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

Loved the No One Lives Forever games, a real fun time and some unique situations. Sorta James Bond, but more like the campy rip offs of the Bond films (or just the later ones with Roger Moore, lol) or the Austin Powers movies. Of course, the villain had a secret base inside a volcano (and you get to drop a bad guy into the lava) or the battle where you fight a female samurai in a house being lifted into the air and torn apart by a tornado are a couple of the memorable ones. Two great games that never had any follow ups, which was too bad, they were funny and full of action. Now I'm wondering if I can get them to run on windows 7 so I can play them again.

Another feature they had was the story integration between single player and co-op. For instance, in the SP game at the end of one level, you are knocked unconscious and the next cut scene you are in the hospital recovering, and your boss tells you that a rescue was sent to pick you up. In the co-op game, you play as part of that rescue team where you have to find the sleeping Cate, and carry her back to the extraction point. So, one team member has to carry her and can't use a weapon while doing so, and also walks slower, while the other co-op players protect them on the trip out. Very cool.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on May 02, 2017, 01:22:02 PM
look at the female competitors at Olympic Games. I reckon they'll "outfit" most normal men.

True enough, but all things being equal, the sporting world would  have men and women compete with one another rather than in separate women/men competitions  :gnehe:

Interesting how we can throw women in combat with men where consequences are a matter of life and death, but on the other hand it is unfair to have them compete together in $p@rts where there is no consequence other than the loss of a game.  :main_knockout:

Granted there are women much stronger than some men, but our government in their infinite liberal wisdom has decided that women can enter the most elite of our special forces.  I personally think women are smarter than men, have clearer minds when it comes to leading, and are generally more trustworthy, but as to physical attributes, there appears to be a gender difference.

Good thing video game characters are simply eye candy skins over the same game mechanics  :bigsmile:

Art Blade

fragger

I agree PZ. It's funny to me how there is always this to-and-froing over "equality" issues when the fact of the matter is that men and women are not equal. I am all for equality when it comes to, say, wage and opportunity issues. A woman should be paid the same as her male counterparts for doing the same job - that is both fair and logical. Nor should her gender be any sort of a bar to her advancement, provided of course that she can demonstrate the capability to warrant that advancement, just as men - ostensibly - have to do (and engaging in any kind of PC-driven, gender-based quota-filling practice is flirting with disaster).

I don't believe that any one gender is superior to the other. As well as everything you said in your last post, there is this business of multitasking. It's flat out wrong to say that women can multitask while men cannot. Generally, women are better at it, but it's not like men can't do it at all. You won't, for instance, make it as an astronaut or a test pilot if you can't multitask (I was watching an interview with the actor Chris Pratt on You Tube last night where he conducted an interview while solving a Rubik's Cube - in three minutes - without missing a beat in the conversation. I thought that was a pretty impressive feat of multitasking). But while women are generally better at multitasking, they are also more prone to distraction. Men are better at concentrating on a single task while filtering out distractions, and there are times when this is a major asset, especially in many scientific and engineering disciplines.

All in all, I don't consider male and female as being "opposite" sexes. I see them more as complimentary, i.e. the respective strengths of men and women can compliment one another. When they put gender issues aside, w0#k together and bolster one another, they can be a formidable team :thumbsup:

The advisability of having women in front-line combat is, I think, largely determined by the culture they come from. Women fought in the front lines with the Red Army in WW2 and have proven themselves as effective partisan fighters in many different conflicts. Female fighters can be pretty fierce. But in a western society such as ours where women are, dare I say, valued more, there's a question of male protectiveness. In western culture, boys are generally taught that "you don't hit girls" and "girls must be protected", and that carries over into adult life. Normally-adjusted men have a genetically built-in urge to protect the female. This goes back to time immemorial, when the female had to be protected as she was the guarantor of the species' survival, and this instinct is encouraged more in western society. This could constitute a fatal distraction for western men in combat as their behaviour could be coloured, or even their training circumvented, by their protectiveness instinct, and that could get them killed.

As to physical strength, while there are no doubt some women who are stronger than most men, I don't see how anybody can say women and men are equal overall in that respect. That is simply not true. Generally, men are physically stronger, and that is the basic fact of the matter. Anyone who denies that is, I believe, deluded. This is not sexism talking, it's realism.

PZ

Well said fragger  :thumbsup:

I too think that men and women are complementary rather than opposite - each brings their own skill set to the table.

Art Blade

agree :)

I just had to protect (grin) women from getting bashed just because of the fact that they were women.

And since I believe they're generally speaking equal and to be treated equally, I did not hesitate to punch one in the face when I was at school and she was playing her "you can't hit me because I'm a girl" stereotype role while taunting me. It did hit her by surprise, too. And I got a lot of applause by the boys because "finally someone dared show her." :anigrin: Apparently she had it coming a long way.

PZ

:D

My son had a similar experience with a woman who was eager to train with his group.  She never offered again.

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳