Carnivale starts today...

Started by PZ, February 24, 2017, 08:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

If you are willing to try more of the brazilian cusine, try Moqueca!! It's fish stew with coconut milk. You can use any fish you like but I recently went to a restaurant and had a cod moqueca. Amazing!

Here's the recipe:
You'll need:
- 4 or 5 pieces of cod loin
- 2 onions
- 4 or 5 potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper
- 5 or 6 tomatoes
- Black olives
- Coconut milk (hope you can find it easily)
- Olive oil (we use Dendê oil, wich is very greasy but you can use any good quality olive oil you can find)
- Coriander

How to make it:
- Cook the potatoes in water untill the are half cooked. They must be slightly hard
- Prepare a tomato sauce as if you were cooking pasta. Use basil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- In a high pan, preferrably ceramic or clay (but steel will do as well), put the onions cut in rings and the red peppers covering the whole bottom.
- Get the cod loin pieces and season with salt and pepper (remember the tomato already has salt and pepper so go easy on the fish)
- Place the cod pieces over the onions and red peppers and add the already prepared tomato sauce.
- Add the half cooked potatoes
- Slow cook until the fish is ready (use a fork to check the inside part to make sure it is all cooked). The potatoes should be ready at about the same time.
- Add the coconut milk and wait until it boils again and then turn off the stove.
- Add the olive oil... a good ammount of it.
- Add the black olives
- Add the coriander.
As a side dish you can have white rice with almonds and raisins. Green leaves salad also goes well.
Red wine.
Good music.
Friends and loved ones.

You can't go wrong.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Man, I was hoping you would post more Brazilian food you like - that stew sounds amazing, and I will certainly give it a go - I can easily get all the ingredients here.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting, JRD  O0 +1

JRD

I love cooking and also love eating so count me in when it comes to shring good recipes.

Can you find manioc? It's very common in Brazil, native indians use it a lot and it is used in a variety of dishes.

I can look for a recipe of Vaca Atolada.... it means Jammed Cow, as in a quagmire. Basically you cook ribs and manioc until the manioc melts and turn into a thick sauce with the ribs in it. Getting the right timming for the meat is crucial but if you make it right.... wow, amazing food.

Man, I keep getting ideas of what to sugest next.  ;D

PZ

I have not heard of manioc before, but just looked it up and it appears to be also cassava.  I'll be looking for it at the grocery store today to see if they have it, but I doubt I will be successful  :undecided-new:

I really like your cooking ideas so any recipes you approve will be greatly appreciated!  :bigsmile:

JRD

Yup, cassava = manioc, at least according to google images.  :anigrin:

I'll get you a recipe... also, can you find barred potatoes and collard greens? 'Cuz if you can, you're in for a treat.

PZ

I went to the store yesterday and found yucca root, which I read online is a substitute for cassava, and I can easily get collar greens.  But, what are barred potatoes?

JRD

Barred potatoes are similar to potatoes ( ::) ) but elongated instead of round-ish and when made as mashed potatoes it looks more yellow. Tastes like heaven in peels.

Here, take a look
https://www.google.com.br/search?q=Barred+potato&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG7PmR6b3SAhWDEZAKHSZtBOkQsAQIHg&biw=1120&bih=633

PZ

I've never seen anything like those!  However, we have yellow potatoes called Yukon Gold, that are creamy and delicious - likely would be a good substitute  :bigsmile:

PZ

Do you have  good Vaca Atolada recipe JRD?  I've done a few searches, but they are all in Portuguese  :undecided-new:

Tags:
🡱 🡳