A really cool use of Youtube 360 video

Started by Dweller_Benthos, November 30, 2019, 06:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Most of the ones I've seen so far have been either just a gimmick or "this is what this house looks like inside" types. Here's one of Alex Honnold doing a free solo climb up El Capitan in Yosemite. The full movie is called "Free Solo" and is worth a watch if you see it listed on Netflix or HBO or something.

Put it full screen and pan around as he's climbing. Makes me dizzy just watching, I can't imagine doing that climb with ropes much less just your bare fingers and toes holding you onto the mountain.

Here's the article on the National Geographic site, but you may need a membership there to access it.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2019/02/alex-honnold-made-ultimate-climb-el-capitan-without-rope/
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

the article was freely accessible so I started to read until that vid came up, watched the vid (awesome :thumbsup: :anigrin: ) and finished reading the article.

That guy is the definition of dedication. Impressive.

Cool find, D_B O0

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

The movie kind of goes into his background a bit, he's definitely on the spectrum as they're calling it these days. Not quite autistic, but on the edge. Definitely has a dedication bordering on obsession. His girlfriend would like him to stop now that he's done it, but I doubt he will, and the law of averages will probably catch up to him eventually. There are no free solo climbers that are of retirement age if you know what I mean.
D_B

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

I think they probably were for the most part, it's not like on Mt Everest where if you die, they leave you there.
D_B

Art Blade

base camp: "OK, he's started to climb up the Mt Everest now. Let's pack up and go home."
climber: "I heard that."

Dweller_Benthos

D_B

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳