TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge 2

Started by Art Blade, March 11, 2020, 05:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on February 18, 2019, 02:06:53 AMJust on the subject of bike racing games, I looked into that Isle of Man one and it did in fact get completed and released. The real event is not a race per se, but a time-trial where the riders are released one at a time, one every ten seconds. Whoever gets around the long circuit (67 km, or 38 miles) in the shortest time wins. It's an absolutely insane event which has seen over 250 fatalities during its long history. I'm surprised they still allow it, actually.

For the game, the entire circuit was meticulously laser-scanned, and every house, tree, bush and mark on the road is authentic. I've watched a few real on-board laps of the circuit over the years and from what I can remember, it looks spot-on. I recognize quite a number of places along the route. There's a building on the right at 8:29 in the gameplay video below (I think it's a pub) which was the scene of a horrific accident in 2014 when a rider named Bob Price went in a little too fast and wide, got airborne, left the road and hurtled straight into that wall. The footage is on YT somewhere, if you're ghoulish enough to look for it.

Here's a complete lap from the game. It looks incredible, near photorealistic, down to the way the sunlight shines on the bug-splats on the fairing. This player makes a couple of boo-boos, but does pretty well overall. There are other clips (didn't want to watch all of them) and I saw one where the player did a much better job, but the video quality wasn't as good. If you were to watch this without having ever seen or heard of the real event, you'd be like, "Yeah, right, as if something like this would actually exist". Props to the player, he must have spent some time getting to know the course to get around it without aids (if the game has any) even if he does have a couple of hiccups.

Real riders spend at least a year getting to know this circuit. They have to - making a mistake can mean kissing a stone wall - or the corner of a pub - at over 200 kph.

There's a new one coming up March 19, 2020 :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1082180/TT_Isle_of_Man_Ride_on_the_Edge_2/?snr=1_614_615_bigbensale2020_1601

PZ

The video is really cool, but racing games cause a bit too much adrenaline for me  :gnehe:

Art Blade

I loved Ride 2 but it's *bleep* with mouse and keyboard, and racing with a controller ruins my hands and wrists :anigrin:

fragger

I'm sort of on the fence about an Isle of Man TT game. On the one hand I'd like to have a go at it, but on the other is the prospect of becoming intimately enough acquainted with 67 kilometres/38 miles of virtual road to be able to tear around it at insane speeds without hitting any walls, fences or hedgerows :undecided-new: Would I want to spend months getting to know the circuit well enough just to be able to get around it without mishap? I don't think I would. That is an awful lot of track layout to digest, and would require an equally awful amount of practice.

As with the real thing, I think getting even halfway good at the game would require a substantial time commitment - and a better memory for detail than I currently possess :gnehe:

Art Blade

I agree :) I mean, I can at least compare it to tracks in Ride2, they were already quite something to remember let alone master and only a fraction of the length of the IOM TT. I would like to give it a shot but I'd at the time want to have, how to put it, adequate hardware. Like, a simulator. A motor bike chassis mounted on some kind of plate which would probably have to be screwed to the floor and it would have to be able to tilt left and right without toppling over. Handlebar and all that connected to some interface that emulates a controller. The monitor would have to be mounted on that thing as well and would ideally have to be an ultra-wide screen. THEN it would actually be something to consider. But well, that's 100% not going to happen. :anigrin:

nex

I'll suck at it, especially when concentrating going through those dangerous bends at an insane speed and mrs nex tired of
me ignoring her (me wearing a headset) pokes me in the back to get my attention..... :banghead:
Respect is earned, not given.

Art Blade

fragger

:anigrin:

Real TT racers don't have that worry :gnehe: At least, I hope not... Your spouse being on the back of your racing bike would be the ultimate example of hen-pecking :gnehe:

Dweller_Benthos

There's a few motorcycle sidecar teams who are married couples. Only in this case, if the wife (usually) riding the sidecar messes up her balancing, you both go over lol.

https://silodrome.com/joe-alma-first-american-couple-race-isle-man-tt/
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

yeah, those side car races are even more insane than the regular TT :anigrin:

fragger

I spoke on the phone earlier tonight with one of my friends in Sydney who was all set to fly to the Isle of Man and see the TT in June, but of course now he can't because of travel restrictions and the fact that the TT has been cancelled. Poor guy, he was really looking forward to it. It was one of his "bucket list" items :banghead:

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳