Far Cry 2 is being dusted off, BinnZ jumps back into Africa

Started by BinnZ, April 01, 2020, 04:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nex

Playing FC2 again after playing a game like GRW makes it almost primitive in comparison,
except of course the environment, the sunrise, sunset, and the general scenery.
The only stuff up they made is the way the wild animals acted.
Respect is earned, not given.

fragger

I had to give up and look at the spoilers for all of these (except for the Rail Yard). It has been a while...

PZ

Yeah, FC2 is a primitive game being one of the first open world games, but I love the music, the goofy NPCs, and modding the weapons has made it much better  :gnehe:

nex

I'm considering the idea of applying the mods I made. Unfortunately I didn't name the different patches I
made at the time, so I'll have to start from scratch wrapping my brain around the modding.
The most important patch I will look at is the high jump, the important part is the jumping down, at the
time I found the setting and altered it so I don't get killed coming down from high places, hope I can find it again.

LowPolyOWG

Fall distance is controlled by the gamemodesconfig and player movement speed is dictated by player.xml
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

nex

It's so long ago I can't remember how it was done, been studying the instructions for a few hours
but still very fuzzy. I remember at the time the modding method was discussed almost step by step between us, gibbed,
TheStranger and Thefishlord, trying to put all those discussions in order is impossible. Finding
something here, something there and something everywhere makes it so much more difficult, and while all the discussion was going
on I could not get the modding to w0#k.

PZ

nex

Yep, the first place I went to was Gibbed's profile/posts. To arrange the initial setup discussions in
order to not miss something vital is where the problem lies.
Racking my brain for the answer to this step:  Copy modding\libraries\world1\30_player.xml to modding\mymod\patch\player.xml.
There is no player.xml file/folder, reading through my old posts I eventually found the one where I asked the exact same question, Art
said I must change the file name after I copied it over. By about 10pm last night I called it a day, will look further into it
during the next few days.

LowPolyOWG

Well, I can't remember all of the file names :-X Anyway, good luck with modding your patch. I discovered that decompiling patches with the tools yields an _unknown folder. That can be safely deleted, as it massively bloats a patch file size.

nex

The part that's confusing.
This is what Art wrote:-

If you add files to the patch folder, in order to w0#k, you need to adjust the patch.xml file. Like this: There are two patch folders, one in libraries and one in mymod
You now have a player.xml in the patch folder. Go back to the mymod folder and change the file in there as follows:

\Far Cry 2\modding\mymod\patch.xml

Open the file with a text editor and look for the last entry (22_weapons):

<object external="22_weapons.xml" />
</object>

just copy that line and paste it below, then replace the entry "22_weapons.xml" with "player.xml" like this....copy which line, and paste it below where?

<object external="player.xml" />
</object>

LowPolyOWG

Yep, that is correct. You need to tell the tool which files to add in it. Basically, put it within the list where you want it

Art Blade

Hehe, nexor, it looks as alien to me as to you now :anigrin: However, let me see.

Admittedly, when I read the guide now, many years later, I can tell that I expected the reader to already know what they were doing.

What you quoted came from my comment (post) back then that dealt with adding files to the mymod folder and having to tell the game (by editing the patch.xml file) that the mod was changed.

Now I'll try to give you a new step by step guide here and colour important parts for you to make it more obvious what I think I meant back then. Here we go:

OK, first of all, we're talking about modding. So even if you find folders somewhere with the same name, we're editing stuff in the "mymod" folder. Not in libraries, not anywhere else.

We use those libraries and perhaps other folders to copy files from, and insert those parts into our mymod folder to create changes to the game.

So here we need to copy something from the libraries:

\Far Cry 2\modding\libraries\world1\30_player.xml

You copy the 30_player.xml file from there.

Then you paste it into your mod like this: \Far Cry 2\modding\mymod\patch\30_player.xml

then you need to rename it to player.xml

so the new entry in mymod looks like this: \Far Cry 2\modding\\mymod\\patch\player.xml

Now you need to tell the game by editing the following file and please note that "patch.xml" is a file and NOT a folder.

You find it here:

\Far Cry 2\modding\\mymod\\patch.xml

Going to edit the quote here:

Open the file patch.xml with a text editor and look for the last entry (22_weapons):

</object>

The reason why you're looking for that is that you need to tell the game about your added file, the player.xml file, and that information needs to be put somewhere, preferably to the end of the patch.xml file because it is your latest change. Hence you put it below the previously last entry.

To do that, you open the patch.xml, in there you look for the last entry (that 22 weapon thing) and now you add the new information to tell the game that the "player.xml" is new. And you tell the game by adding it below that weapons line:

<object external="player.xml" />
</object>

then save the just edited patch.xml file and you're good. :)

nex

The last part is the confusing part.

I know the 30_player.xml changed to player.xml was added to the mymod patch folder,
Do I understand the same player.xml file should be added to the patch.xml file below 22_weapons
Or am I wrong?

Art Blade

you're wrong. :gnehe:

See, there is a file called "player.xml" which you copy and paste to a folder.

Then you edit a different file, called patch.xml, by well, typing the word "player.xml." So you don't paste a file into that patch.xml file. You add a line of text into it.

Unfortunately "copy-paste" can be used for files as well as for texts and that is confusing you. So first you copy-paste a file, and later you copy-paste a text line (inside the patch.xml file)

Essentially you tell the game to use the patch.xml inside your mod. The game then reads that file and finds the line (which you added) that tells the game that there is a file called player.xml which it should use. :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳