Quantum Physics, -Mechanics, -Computers

Started by Art Blade, February 24, 2017, 09:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I have been interested in anything quantum for I don't even know how long, maybe a few decades. Whenever I come across the subject I can't help it, I start to suck it in. Back in the day, it was hard to find any information at all and if there was, to actually understand what "quantum" mechanics and computing meant and for instance, what qubits were.

Not so much because the subject was so difficult but because no-one would care to use understandable, simple, ordinary language but instead they encrypted it in overly scientific lingo as they used to publish within a scientific environment (audience). At times it was hard to grasp, I admit. Also, I didn't always fully understand what they were really on about. But I never lost interest.

Thankfully, times have changed in a way that now there is understandable information to be found, suitable for a wider, not scientifically versed audience. I believe that "they" have learned that if nobody knows what it is, no-one will support it but they need people at a larger scale to take an interest in this future technology (and obviously future market) as it isn't that futuristic any more; it is a very actual field of research and ongoing science.

Here are two VERY nice vids that I think are very easy to understand and will give you an idea of what this is all about.

mandru

Interesting videos.  I hope we're around long enough to see actual fruits from this field of study.

The guy in the second video instantly lost some degree of respect from me in that instant he felt the need to inject climate change into his presentation but then I guess that's what it takes to be asked to speak by Ted talks and expect to be invited back.  My personal opinion on that knee jerk behavioral pattern among academicians and scientists is they are being grant whores.

According to Douglass Adams via The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series in some ways both these guys are so far behind the curve.  ::)

They're struggling with describing superposition to the commoner so they can get their heads around a subatomic particle being in two places when the key principal behind Zaphod Beeblebrox's stolen ship (Heart of Gold) which was propelled by the Infinite Improbability Drive clearly is explained by the concept that a particle and it's closest friends can be everywhere at once.

The fiddly bit of that trick is (when upon disengaging the drive) getting the ship to stop kind of close-ish to (and not inside of) where you want to be.  :)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

The Climate Change discussion that had started here was reason for me to split and move it as a topic of its own.

Tags:
🡱 🡳