Does anyone have a recommendation...

Started by PZ, February 26, 2017, 09:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

... for a good gaming headset? I'm looking for something that I can potentially use on my PC and Playstation.

I'm also looking to get an xbox controller for the PC - is there something in particular I should be looking for?

Art Blade

PC Headset Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 is light, comfortable and cheap (I suppose US$ 30) It comes with a USB plug. No driver hassle. I have been using it for several years now, needed to replace it once but the second one has lasted a lot longer than the first already. I recommended it to three friends and all of them have been satisfied with it.

I used to have an expensive swanky Sennheiser but it would hurt on the top of my head after a while and squeeze my ears and a wire broke.. I could have bought about six LifeChats for its price and would have been way better off. No idea about your PS4, it's MS.. but USB.

I had several controllers from different manufacturers (including LG) and again, MS has been the best. XBox360 controller for PC, with wire. Solid and precise. No driver hassle.

However, you're a PS4 guy.. you're likely better off with a PS4 controller for PC.

LowPolyOWG

I'm happy with my Hyper X Cloud Revolver. No driver hassle, just plug and play. Audio quality is very good compared to other gaming headsets on the market. Pretty comfortable too :)

Controller? I was a Xbox 360 player back in the days and I am very happy with those controllers. The D-Pad feels better on the Xbox One controller though, it has a "click-click" feeling to it. The X360 D-pad, not so much. The majority of older PC games prefers the Xbox controller. Current titles seems to have PS4 controller compability now.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

Thanks for the advice gents - there happens to be a good deal on a USB 3 hub + LifeChat LX-3000 + 720p camera (I need to do Skype so need a medium quality camera) all for $57

As to the controller, I have a couple of PS4 compatible controllers that are "all or none" in operation. For example, when you drive and use the stick to steer, movement of the stick is completely on or completely off. I want a controller that is infinite in degree of control, like it is on the console.  The ones I have w0#k just like WSAD - either full on or full off, which I do not like - makes me feel like a robot. I like the console controllers because a slight movement of the stick results in a slight movement of the steering apparatus, else there would be no benefit to using a controller.

Do any of the xbox controllers w0#k the way I would like?  The PS4/3 controllers do not.

Art Blade

yes. Xbox controllers for PC have got analog joysticks, that's what I was referring to when describing it as "precise" -- unlike some wobbly wonky analog devices with a 95% deadzone just so the last millimetre of movement range serves for all the "analog" feeling. I'd much rather have preferred to use a digital device in that case.

PZ

That's perfect; I want that analog feel - I thought I read something about a difference between the 360 versus One controllers - have you heard anything about advantages/disadvantages?

Art Blade

I heard that the One was more ergonomic, somehow supposed to be better than the 360. However, someone I know who somewhat recently bought the Xbox One controller for the PC had to go to a lot of trouble to get it to w0#k; a driver issue. Apparently it wasn't shipped with the appropriate installation programs and/or drivers. It required some research and downloading to get the stuff needed. With my 360 I just had to plug it in, windows instantly recognised it and it worked at once. Side note: no adapters or anything needed, just the 360 controller, plug it in and done. If you find stuff that requires additional hardware, leave it.

PZ

Art Blade

welcome :)

You know that I'm not a console guy and generally speaking a mouse and keyboard gamer. Yet these days, looking at how many games are console ports, I am glad that I learned to operate a controller and having tested a few, I do enjoy playing games with the 360 a LOT.

Usually game menus and the way you control the game are optimised for controllers these days. I only switch to m/kb when it comes to precision such as shooting as well as quick movements. Slower-paced games and anything vehicle, I use the controller exclusively.

PZ

O0 old memory here - I recall D_B posting that he had a controller on one knee while using mouse/keyboard

Art Blade

yes :) I have it sitting on my desk. Just hot-swap when needed  :gnehe:

PZ

LowPolyOWG

I can agree with you, Art, I had to get my wireless adapter updated through Windows Update on Win 10... My Xbox One controller installed itself like a 360 one when I plugged in the charging wire.

The Xbox One controller can be plugged in like the Xbox 360. You can get wireless/wired versions of it. The Elite version offers more advanced features (trigger sensitivity can be adjusted), but you don't really need that if you're using KB/M most of the time.

I can't shoot precisely with a controller anymore after spending 100+ hours total with  CS GO :-X

PZ

Would this be the correct xbox controller to get?  It is for Windows

LowPolyOWG

Yes, you could see if your local Gamestop have them (might be better if you don't want to wait for it to arrive in your mailbox) ;) The Xbox One controller would be your other option in case GS doesn't have them.

Tags:
🡱 🡳