Satisfactory (Early Access)

Started by LowPolyOWG, June 09, 2020, 12:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

So, the factory construction game finally came to Steam  :bigsmile: It's basically Factorio, but 3D. The goal is to automate several factories and advance your power and manufacturing output by unlocking technology tiers. I rebought the game on Steam, as I originally owned it on Epic. Not a fan of their store, which is inferior to Steam in a number of ways. Kinda stupid, offering a competition, but doing it worse.

However, the developers opted for it, as they use Epic's technology and Steam still takes a huge cut, if you don't sell enough copies. Also, Coffee Stain Games isn't a AAA studio, but an indie one. They are well-known for their Goat Simulator game.

I told Art about this game and sent him a clip of Let's Game it out playing Satisfactory. They were quite entertaining :anigrin:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

My homebase. Since I already played the game, I'm familiar with the basics, so I skipped the tutorial. This is probably somewhere in the middle of the map, being surrounded by steep mountains. There are 4 different locations you can chose to spawn in and I went for the 3rd one.

Configuring a smelter. By advancing tiers/researching materials, I can unlock more materials to smelt.

Power throughput. In the beginning, you only have access to biofuel burners for power.

A Mk. 1 conveyor belt transporting copper. Can be upgraded to Mk. 5, once you reach aluminum/aluminium tech tier.

LGIO building a man-cannon that broke the game :laughsm: :anigrin:

His own personal Chernobyl :anigrin:

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

indeed, I noticed LP playing something weird on steam (he had linked the non-steam game to show up on steam) and asked him about it which ultimately led to me getting the game on steam yesterday, the moment it was released. :gnehe:

Satisfactory iconic button

LowPolyOWG

Dweller_Benthos

I've watched quite a few videos on this, currently Zisteau is playing it, consider him the polar opposite of LGIO, whose videos are hilarious but not really how you want to play the game lol

That's the most recent video in the current series. He goes in for huge bases in any game he plays, Minecraft, Factorio, Satisfactory, etc. This current one is bigger than anything I'd ever build and he calls it the "starter base" - in other words, the base he uses to gain the materials to build a "real" base lol.

I'd thought about getting the game, but really I don't have time to dedicate to another game right now.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

crazy and indeed impressive factory, given that it's just a grinder and not the main thing yet..  ???

But I got tired of that guy's narrating style quickly. Only 2 vids. As opposed to LGIO whom I really like listening to. And the stuff he makes is way more entertaining :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

Zisteau can be a bit dead pan sometimes, and you really need a lot of attention span to watch his videos. His Minecraft series is going on 4 or 5 years now and it's all one long complicated story that I can't even begin to explain (not sure I know what's going on anymore lol). Plus he takes a break from it for years sometimes, so that's a thing.

The thing with Satisfactory and Factorio is the aliens you have to deal with. I want either a killing aliens all the time shooter thing or a builder of mega structures thing, one just interrupts the other for me in a single game. So usually in Minecraft I get to the point of being nearly invulnerable so I can ignore the hostile creatures and do what I want.
D_B

Art Blade

This game has both. The planet you start with (you can choose from like 4) $p@rts friendly AND hostile creatures on it. So far I can tell, they are not roaming and searching for you. They seem to be typical for some limited local area. But you can arm yourself up and do weapons research, it involves black powder, too lol

BinnZ

I watched the videos LGIO made on this game, well, some. Very entertaining indeed. This game must be great fun, but I really don't know where to get the time from to play it :anigrin:

I'll check your approaches though ;)
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

nothing much to talk about for now, I am simply busy grinding and producing stuff needed to advance the skill trees.

And I've been busy (on top) with power consumption and production rates: It is in the end about optimising production speeds. Oh, and, I built my Space Elevator. :anigrin:

It means, almost everything needs power. So you're even given two power plants for free to help you start out nicely. At first I ended up having five power generators to cope with the enormous demand for power. Then I realised my factory had started out.. unfavourably.  So I decided to dismantle everything and slap down that main hub some place more suitable and place machines in a more orderly fashion, so to speak. So I'm now on a more favourable path :anigrin:

The trick for efficiency is optimisation of production lines and to start with its source, then follow it to the end while constantly checking and changing the stats for power consumption.

Then improving the speeds of everything  so you neither run empty nor full. The power graph about consumption and capacity (there's one more but for later, about production, probably like solar cells.. haven't been so far yet)

Overall, optimising speeds almost always ended up in lowering the overall power consumption. So now with even a lot more production going on here, I am only relying on just two power generators. And they're both running at about 75% of their capacity so they themselves have saved power consumption, too.

It is important to check the machines for which amount per minute of any incoming materials they are set up to and to start changing those values right there. And even by adjusting the speed of raw materials (ore) by changing the drill's production rate in either percentage or I think kilowatt and pieces coming in at what speed and then just match that. The incoming stuff as well as the outgoing stuff should always be set so the adjacent unit(s) on the production line never runs out or full.

Well, the game's motto (and therefore the player's goal)  is "efficiency." :)

You can of course instead wreak havoc on the viewer's mind if you create madness like LGIO :D

Dweller_Benthos

That would be my problem, not thinking ahead enough, and having to cram things in and move them around and constantly shuffle things to get it to w0#k. In Minecraft, I tend to just plop things down in the most convenient spot and live with it from then on. Same thing would probably happen in this game too lol.
D_B

Art Blade

yeah you can do that. I only tore down everything because I like it if it follows logic. So, now knowing enough to identify: the problem is how everything is plopped down, made me start over rather now than later. :anigrin:

fragger

I'm like you guys. I think I have a mild case of OCD and thus I like to try and lay things out in some kind of logical and orderly fashion. And if I stuff it up and don't make enough allowances for later growth (yes, I'm talking about you, SimCity) I'll rip it all down and rebuild from scratch, or reload/restart the game, to get things more orderly. I know LGIO is deliberately being silly for entertainment purposes and trying to see how far he can push the limits of the game - and his videos are very entertaining to watch - but that insane spaghetti of conveyor belts looks like one of my nightmares :gnehe:

LowPolyOWG

Dweller_Benthos

Plus doesn't LGIO use console commands and well, cheats to get the stuff he makes? I can't imagine he does all that legit.

It is funny though.
D_B

BinnZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 12, 2020, 04:57:06 AM
Plus doesn't LGIO use console commands and well, cheats to get the stuff he makes? I can't imagine he does all that legit.

It is funny though.

I was asking myself the same question... can he really do all that legitimate? Guess not. Or he really has too much time at hand :P
"No hay luz"

Tags:
🡱 🡳