Steam Sale so I grabbed AER: Memories Of Old

Started by mandru, June 30, 2020, 09:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

I first learned of AER and that it would become available on Steam about a year ago.  With the current Steam sale I was finally able to grab it up for $2.99 USD plus tax.  I must say that I enjoyed AER: Memories Of Old more than any comparably priced bag of potato chips I've ever purchased. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To sum up the game it is a low poly explorer and puzzle solving game that is so non-violent the hardest thing you'll fight with is learning the flight controls when you first start the game but once over that hurdle the flight component of the game is quite enjoyable.

When I say that it is low poly that doesn't mean the the game is bland and unattractive.  The artwork is appealing (attractive in it's almost symbolic minimalist way) and I found it to be appropriate for the context of the game.

I saw that another player had made a speed-run collecting all achievements in about two hours so it's clearly not a long playing game but some of the puzzles are moderately challenging.  Though the temples the puzzles are contained in (as I learned) must be visited in a specific order.

There's no dying.  Your character has the ability to morph into a bird to travel between floating islands.  If you fly too high or drop too low you are respawned on a restart spot that is nearest with no penalty.  Even dropping from a great height your character has preservation instincts built in that buffers their fall even if you hit head first.  :bigsmile:

Maybe a good choice for a spot of peaceful play when you just want something calm that has a mildly intriguing story line.

I completed my first play through in about 5 hours but then I was inspecting all the details that caught my attention.  ;)

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Oh yeah, this game:

I've seen a playthrough either on a stream or youtube. Pretty cool game and if I had more game time something I might look into. I remember the music was especially good.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

- mandru

BinnZ

Checking a glimpse of that video I agree on the graphics part; really beautiful. In a way it reminds me of the borderlands graphics. In both games the fact that details aren't worked out to perfection is a concious choice instead of a lack of computing power. And you can see clearly they make good use of the engine.  :thumbsup: :)
"No hay luz"

PZ

Yeah, it is a bit reminiscent of Borderlands, and the price of $2.99 sure is good!

Enjoy the game mandru  :thumbsup:

mandru

Thanks PZ, I've been through it about 14 or 15 times and i've still been finding bits of lore, back story, and hidden critters in out of the way locations.  :)
- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳