RTX 3000 launch event

Started by LowPolyOWG, September 01, 2020, 10:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

Today, Nvidia did a 39 minute stream showcasing the new RTX 3000 series GPU. No budget range cards announced at this time, but AMD is releasing Navi X2 in November, at the same time as the Xbox Series X and PS5.

The prices:

$1499 for the RTX 3090
$699 for the RTX 3080
$499 for the RTX 3070

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Specs of the cards :o 8)
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

OK, that 3090 is going to replace my 2080Ti eventually. But not yet, too early for the new cards (let them sort out early bugs and driver issues first, and let's hope for a slight price drop) and mine is still good enough.

BinnZ

If those prices stay the same, the 3080 is going to be mine. but I doubt it. The 2080ti now costs something like 1250, go figure :huh-new:
"No hay luz"

Dweller_Benthos

You may need a new power supply too:

Ignore the bit they are talking about an app on the app store, they had trouble with Apple and their online app. Anyway, you may need to swap out the power supply if it doesn't support the new connector and voltage. There may be the possibility to use an adapter if your power supply has the erhm, power to support the card in the first place. Plus I think the card is larger in general, and there's also the concern if it will fit in your current case.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I don't care because I always buy a new PC with then matching state of the art stuff rather than upgrading an old one.

Dweller_Benthos

Well, there's always that route, lol!

Anyway, seems a mid-range 3000 series card will out perform a 2080ti at less than half the price!    :o

D_B

Art Blade

it's always like that. Buy any proper PC component, state of the art, and not long thereafter there will be something new, better, and more cost-effective.

Dweller_Benthos

Right, but usually not that extreme, like he says in the video, it hasn't been since mid 2000s that there was this much of a difference. By next year maybe I'll be ready to get an entire new system, like you, I've lost the desire to build them myself anymore. Just pick the parts you want, and have them ship it to you complete. The new m.2 drives are getting cheaper and larger capacity, same with regular SSD drives, and by then the video cards will have settled out as well.

About all I might do is replace my spinning disc hard drives with SSD drives, so that when/if I do upgrade, I just pop them in and be done with it, have Steam find them and add them to the library.
D_B

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: Art Blade on September 01, 2020, 11:19:28 AM
OK, that 3090 is going to replace my 2080Ti eventually. But not yet, too early for the new cards (let them sort out early bugs and driver issues first, and let's hope for a slight price drop) and mine is still good enough.

Still going to play at 1080p, once you get that card?  :anigrin:

I might get that aswell, once I will build a new system. At the moment, no plans to buy anything. I agree with you, AMD's recent RX Navi cards (RX 5700) was plagued with strange behaviours (black screen and crashes) for many users on release. Recent drivers fixed that instability, but many went to Nvidia when AMD where unable to adress issues.

Art Blade

likely.. it's good enough and allows me to keep my 32" monitor the maximum res of which happens to be 1080p. 4k is still not properly implemented or the hardware can't yet properly handle it. Whenever I compared data sheets, all games I checked had so much lower fps at 4k compared to 1080p that I really don't see why I would want to trade the speed at 1080p for 4k quality.

LowPolyOWG

O0

Maybe go for a higher refresh rate monitor  :)

Art Blade

when I'll go for anything "monitor," 4k will likely be unavoidable by that time and higher refresh rates will likely come along with it. ;)

Funny enough, when I buy TVs or monitors, I typically get the best and the last of a generation that has been replaced by something more fancy. But I also pay only a fraction of what those then high end devices used to cost.

My current 32" cost like 400€ while a few years earlier they used to cost 10 times as much.

Today I bought a new 75" Panasonic LED 100Hz TV for 2,000 € replacing my 9-year-old 50" Panasonic plasma TV which I bought for 1,000 €. Both of which were on offer. Then because LED was taking over, now because OLED is taking over.

Art Blade

by the way, the new TV is this one: Panasonic tx-75 gxw945 (4k Ultra HD, 100Hz) if you want to google it to see pics

PZ

Dang, technology advances so fast it is hard for me to keep investing in a gaming PC. I think I'll get a PS5 instead.  :gnehe:

Tags:
🡱 🡳