Extra cheesy pimento and cheese sandwiches

Started by PZ, August 09, 2017, 09:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Although we tend to forget some of our comfort foods, we remembered this on our recent trip to the Oregon coast (it was cold and windy)

This is a relatively standard pimento and cheese sandwich, but it has extra cheese toasted on the bread.

• 1/2 pound shredded extra sharp Cheddar - we get it for $2.78/lb at Winco
   • 1/2 cup mayonnaise - we use olive oil mayo because it tastes great and contains good fats. Add more mayo until you get a spreadable misture
   • (4-ounce) jar chopped pimentos, drained
   • Pinch of cayenne pepper to taste (or leave it out if you do not like spicy)
   • Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper (or whatever you have on hand, especially when RV-ing)
   • Bread of your choice

Mix all of the ingredients well and heap onto slices of bread. This cheese will melt and run out of the sammie so use your judgement on how much to use - top with another slice of bread.

A small handful of cheese went into the pan just before we put in the sandwich.  Allow the bread to toast crisp which will also crisp the cheese on the outside (bottom) of the sandwich.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Here the sandwich has been turned after placing another heap of cheese in the pan to coat the other side of the sandwich

The finished sandwich is cheesy and crisp on the outside, and creamy smooth on the inside. We enjoyed the sandwiches with a dry Columbia Valley Rose

Art Blade

PZ

nex

Darn it! not good seeing these kind of pictures at 10pm, now I'm hungry  ::)
I haven't seen pimentos on the shelves, going to look or them though....  :anigrin: 
Looks great PZ  O0

Respect is earned, not given.

BinnZ

Wow, indeed! Those are my types of sandwich for sure!! :) :thumbsup:
"No hay luz"

PZ

Thanks gents - my only problem was that the crusty cheese bread was crispy enough to make some of the molten cheese to squeeze out when I took a bite  :gnehe:

Art Blade

there's always time to install wipers on the inside :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

huh, never thought of putting cheese on the outside of a toasted cheese sandwich, that sounds really good.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

nex

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on August 10, 2017, 08:02:22 AM
huh, never thought of putting cheese on the outside of a toasted cheese sandwich,
My thoughts were along the same lines but wasn't going to say anything, just wondering when PZ's getting to the stage where he opens the gate but then climbs over the wall..... :-X :anigrin:

Art Blade

PZ

mandru

Nexor, if you are not able to find them.  Pimentos are Sweet Cherry Peppers peeled with seeds removed then fine chopped or diced.  I've also seen narrow inch long strips.  Cherry peppers are the mildest of all peppers.  The typical canning or bottling process cooks the peppers to tender.

So if you can't find pimentos you may be able to find whole bottled cherry peppers.  Then you would be able to peel or not (your preference as the skins are light because of the pepper's size), remove the seeds, and chop them up on your own.

It also occurs to me that if you can find fresh cherry peppers you might want to try quartering and seeding some then tossing them on the grill to char the outer skin to remove it before chopping them up.  Depending on the wood you're grilling with it could possibly add a nice smokiness to the peppers for any recipe they are used in.

I've seen a recipe that calls for quartering and cleaning out the seeds before a 5 min boil when making pimentos but where cherry peppers are so mild to start with I think boiling would dilute their flavor beyond worth.  ::)

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

nex

Thanks mandru,  It's possible they call them Sweet Cherry Peppers over here, I might have seen them in the shop, will take a look.   O0

Tags:
🡱 🡳