Prosecco and French onion soup

Started by PZ, February 28, 2017, 12:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Ask them to change back? The pizza place I go to makes their own sausage and sauteed mushrooms to put on the pizza. A couple different times either the sausage or the mushrooms I got were extremely salty, so bad we had to pick off the toppings and eat the plain pizza. Next time I ordered, I got a different pizza and told them why I no longer wanted the sausage or mushrooms. They said they'd look into it. Next time I tried it, it was back the way it used to be. Not sure if I just happened to hit them at a time when there was a mistake made or if they actually took my complaint to heart and changed the recipe back. Either way, I can get my sausage mushroom pizza again.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

They probably went to a cheaper already-prepared sausage, which is always salty in my experience. In my quest toward good food I am experimenting with making my own sausage - that way I'll know exactly what is in it.

Interesting aside - I have rather extreme allergies, especially skin. A couple of years ago I was so rashy all over my body except my head and hands - I was miserable.  Over time my wife eliminated one chemical after another until today I am nearly rash free. I cannot use most laundry detergents, dryer sheets, and anything with benzoates (or anything with the benzene ring).  I can't even use shampoos and most soaps. She found one based on olive oil that I can only get online, but it is worth it.  Just about any of the food stabilizers and preservatives in prepared foods will start the rash again.  As I have started making everything from scratch, I feel like a normal human being again.  :bigsmile:

Art Blade

too many chemicals in food these days. There is a profession I think it's called food designer. Essentially they whip up stuff to imitate taste and texture and then press it into shape. That's essentially what you get when buying prefab foods. Even the stuff that isn't made that way still contains a ton of chemicals to push the date of expiry beyond normal limits -- here is a trend to avoid those chemicals, they slap badges onto the package stating that there are no such chemicals inside. However, there are still chemicals that influence taste or colour. Even if you find foods without them, they STILL add stuff to make it "better." For instance, why, oh WHY does a pack of salmon fillet have to contain SUGAR?

PZ

Sugar evidently is what they think everyone wants, in addition to salt  :gnehe:

Art Blade

hehe, I think you're right  :anigrin: Which is a sad development. It is so hard to abstain from sugar because you're so used to it..

PZ

The good thing for me, especially as I age is that I do not like sugar and almost never eat a sweet dessert.  :gnehe:

Art Blade

interesting :) But you like honey in some of your rubbings, don't you :)

PZ

Only in the ribs, and only in the finish.  Interestingly, combining the honey with the spicy rub does not result in an overly sweet rib.  I would not be able to tell it even had honey as the sweetener.

Now I want to cook ribs again  :bigsmile:

Art Blade

PZ

I'm over 6 decades old and still have not mastered portion control  :gnehe:

Art Blade

can't teach an old dog new tricks, so keep nibbling on those ribs  :anigrin:

sorry about the dog, but the saying just goes like that  :gnehe:

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳