Displaying a console game on a laptop

Started by PZ, December 05, 2020, 06:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Has anyone tried displaying the output of a console onto something like a Surface Pro instead of, or in addition to a television using a HDMI video/audio capture card?

I found this one at amazon, and am interested in playing on my Surface while relaxing in bed.  :gnehe:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DR1YNZ3/?coliid=I3EFWLAIFSJIQY&colid=3ABN6IIBP9UOG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

BinnZ

I don't know, but can't you just plug in the HDMI cable? or had the surface only an output maybe...
"No hay luz"

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah that should w0#k, as long as the surface pro has the high speed USB to plug into, and then you might have a bit of latency between the console and the laptop to deal with. But it might w0#k.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Thanks guys; The surface has USB3 and the reports are that this is possible, but you never know.  I ordered the unit and can return it no questions asked because it is the Christmas season.

Quote from: BinnZ on December 06, 2020, 03:04:56 AM
I don't know, but can't you just plug in the HDMI cable? or had the surface only an output maybe...

You're right BinnZ - the miniport on the Surface can be adapted to HDMI, but it is output only.  :undecided-new:

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

I tried that method, but because you need to be logged in to PlayStation network you need faster Internet than I have. After installing the software and trying to play, the software informed that my Internet was too slow.  :banghead:

My Internet has improved significantly, but it is still too slow for many high speed things.  :undecided-new:

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

Thanks LP  O0

The unit is on t's way so we'll soon see  :gnehe:

PZ

Using OBS the game displays fine on my Surface Pro with no lag and essentially works the same as it does on my television. Sure, not nearly as good as you might expect on a PC  screen, but my old eyes needing glasses don't notice much of a difference  :gnehe:

The device streams both video and audio through the USB port, so my wireless headphones w0#k great.

Not bad at all for a device that cost less than 40 bucks.

Art Blade

PZ

Thanks!

Took off the keyboard and used my bedtime tablet stand. Played for a couple of hours this morning. Worked in practice even better than my testing, likely because I play way slower than  test things.  :gnehe:

Art Blade

PZ

Indeed!

During my exploration for display solutions I came upon a series of portable monitors which I am now interested in investigating further.

I love my Surface, and actually use it more than my desktop. The main problem is the size of the screen, and the large number of programs I wish to have on display without switching windows. I found a portable monitor that allows me to extend my Surface onto this second monitor, which is 15.6 inches in size - it is the same thickness as my Surface and connects via the Surface USB 3.0 to type C connector on the monitor.

Art Blade

my PC's monitor has evolved to 32," my TV to 75," and you.. kind of go just the other way. Like back in the 90's when 15" was an improvement over a 14" monitor. Didn't you say your eyes were.. due to age, in need of glasses? I don't think that going smaller is beneficial for your eyesight.

Get a beamer.

PZ

:D

Yes, I am gravitating to smaller because it makes me much more portable. I can take this rig anywhere in the house, and even on road trips.

As to the glasses... I just sit closer to the monitor  :gnehe:

Tags:
🡱 🡳