What I did on my summer vacation

Started by Dweller_Benthos, August 21, 2017, 06:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Cool photos D_B :thumbsup: Those alligators lurking in the water hazard... I'll take the drop, thanks. From the other side of the fairway - bugger the rules :gnehe:

I like the Rainbow Lorikeet picture. It seems funny to me that they are considered an exotic animal overseas, whereas where I live you see them everywhere. We regularly get big flocks of them flying around our place. They're beautiful little birds, but man, get a big tree full of them at sundown right outside your house and you can't hear yourself think over the racket they make :o Luckily they only squawk for a little while before they fall silent.

My Mum used to feed them from her apartment balcony back in Sydney many years ago. I'll never forget the sight of her one day standing with her arms straight out and each arm lined with lorikeets :gnehe: There were a couple of dozen of them all lined up on her arms. I immediately dubbed her the Birdwoman of Artarmon (the suburb she lived in).

Hope the weather improves for you, Dweller :)

Art Blade

where I live, small green and big even greener parrots are not part of our local fauna. Yet we have somewhat big flocks of the smaller ones and occasional big green ones flying around in my city. Rumor has it that they once escaped the zoo or some such and ever since, they've made themselves at home. Apparently only here in this city, though. One day I noticed a tree in the garden. Not as if I'd never seen it before but because somehow it appeared to be greener than usual. Those very green leaves turned out to be parrots.. that's the first time I saw them. The same tree, I noticed one thin branch had a weird shape. Like a bow lacking the arrow. At the end of it, hanging from it, was one of those fat green parrots. He just did the same as everyone else, sit on a branch. Only he didn't notice the weight difference.. :D

Dweller_Benthos

haha, yes, it was very noisy in the lorikeet enclosure, they were all squawking, begging for the nectar you can buy in little cups to feed them with. Since it was an extra fee to get in to see them, and a separate fee to buy the cup of nectar, I think the aquarium put in the enclosure to raise a few extra dollars for not a huge expense. Fine with me, I didn't care.

But, I'm back home and at w0#k again, I have a couple more pictures to post but just haven't gotten around to getting the camera back out after I unpacked everything, caught up on all the mail (both e- and snail) and other things that need to be done after being away for over a week, plus the plain tiredness of travelling and not sleeping in your own bed.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳