GTA Online - The Saga Continues

Started by BinnZ, March 02, 2017, 02:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Quote from: OWGKID on April 17, 2017, 08:00:41 AM
Why is internet caps a thing in Oz? Sounds stupid when compared to the majority of ISPs in Europe

You don't have to do it this way in Australia if you don't want to, there are all sorts of different ISPs and plans, many of which include unlimited data. The particular plan I'm on just happens to best suit my budget and circumstances at present and I'm happy with it - it may be capped per month, but it's fast, reliable and reasonably priced, which is what I need for now. I am still unemployed after all, I need to watch the pennies.

It's all going to change soon anyway. We're currently in the middle of the rollout of the new National Broadband Network (NBN), now just now reaching my area and is supposed to bring us into whizz-bang internet territory :gnehe: I recently received a new connection kit from my ISP (Telstra) and have up to a year to get it happening before the old network is switched off. The NBN affects telephone access as well as internet, it's a whole new national comms system.

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

fragger

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. One of the main purposes of it is to give rural areas faster, more secure access, which is why they've largely focussed the rollout in the country. For once, we yokels are getting something new at the same time as the city-slickers do :gnehe:

I just hope they don't screw it up. Anything that the government has a hand in - well.

PZ

Quote from: fragger on April 17, 2017, 06:26:38 PM
I just hope they don't screw it up. Anything that the government has a hand in - well.

There has been talk of national broadband here as well, but I'm not holding my breath.  :undecided-new:

BinnZ

Quote from: PZ on April 18, 2017, 05:10:00 AM
There has been talk of national broadband here as well, but I'm not holding my breath.  :undecided-new:

Trump focusses on the national highways first, isn't it?

Speaking of Trump:

Obay Your Master!!!!
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"No hay luz"

PZ

Quote from: BinnZ on April 18, 2017, 02:23:06 PM
Trump focusses on the national highways first, isn't it?

I don't know really; he has contradicted himself so many times I have no idea what he actually thinks.  When Trump speaks, all I really hear these days is the sounds made by the adults in Charlie Brown shows.  :gnehe:

Art Blade

fragger

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: PZ on April 18, 2017, 05:10:00 AM

Yeah, that will never happen. The cable companies are slowly (or fastly) gaining market share in broadband internet and the telephone companies don't care anymore. You can't make money on internet, so the cable companies tie a decent price on internet to a TV bundle, where they make all their money. They don't want people finding out they can get TV shows off netflix and drop their cable TV subscription. So they make the price of internet expensive unless you also get TV. They aren't going to give up those profits, and they are going to fight tooth and nail to stall or thwart any broadband offering in their territory, since they just give politicians money to pass the laws they want passed. They have already had laws passed in some areas that prohibit a town or city from starting up their own local ISP to serve that area, even if there is no cable or telco company that serves that area, just so there is no competition so that people don't find out how cheap internet really is. There is a trend towards $100 a month broadband and it will probably happen, as there is no competition to the cable companies to stop it.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

That sounds about right to me - corporate profits above all else.  :banghead:

fragger

I know this is a GTA V Online topic, but I got a kick out of these SP incidents.

I was mucking around in the game earlier, and playing as Franklin I went to Michael's house and found his wife's car in the driveway. So naturally I stole it :evil2: As I was pulling out of the driveway, my phone rang. It was Michael, and he said, "Amanda knows you have her car and she's on the warpath!" After driving it around for a while, I returned it - and stole Michael's daughter's car instead. Another phone call from Michael: "Tracey's car has gone missing. Not cool, bro!" Soon after, I returned Tracey's car and fired an RPG into Michael's house just for the hell of it, which brought the fire brigade into his place :gnehe:

I also found the game's version of the Playboy mansion, complete with grotto and a topless girl hanging around near it (this was at night). There was a party going on there with many bikini-clad girls in attendance. Pushing my way into various groups caused a number of them to leave and they wandered out into the street - including the topless girl. Talk about a free spirit  :huh-new:

Art Blade

yep, the mansion.. every night a party there. Topless is an expression which is a tad weird. Wouldn't a "topless" girl be just a set of legs (on high heels perhaps) running around aimlessly? :gnehe:

BinnZ

Hahaha, indeed, better would be to talk of a 'properly topped girl'  ;)
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳