GTA Online - The Saga Continues

Started by BinnZ, March 02, 2017, 02:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

one tip: it tends to appear to have crashed, it freezes at times and for longer than you'd expect it to recover. Like a minute or more. Happens when editing a lot, adding titles and all that. Apparently it does what was called "garbage collection" back in the day, I can tell it's busy when looking at my CPU monitor on my keyboard (I've literally got a monitor on my keyboard, OLED, and one function is said CPU monitoring tool) so.. don't freak out, don't alt-F4 out, just wait. If it really crashes, you'll know. And if it did, it will grab those backups it keeps creating and report back on the next start that your project was recovered. It only happened when I forced it to shut down so.. just be patient if it stops responding. Most notably when the preview screen won't play the video.. that's when you need to stop clicking around and wait. :)

and yes, you can just tell it to create audio tracks from the selected clip, even one track per channel if you want.

Dweller_Benthos

Ah I wasn't aware of the audio track option, but can you then edit the audio separate from the video? That's mostly what I'd be interested in, being able to boost or reduce the volume on certain parts of the audio track and leave everything else alone.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

yes, you can do that.

The way I do it is: first create an audio track from the video. Then preview (watch) the clip until you reach the part you want to edit, make sure the audio part is marked by clicking on it (turns red at the borders) and right-click select slice, keep both sides. It will cut at the marker (the line indicating your position) and now you can watch until you reach the bit where you want to stop editing audio, slice again keeping both sides, and then mark the one left of your position. It should be the stuff you want to edit, so click on it to mark it (otherwise you might edit more than you want, like other clips) and choose from the audio options on the right-click menu. You can fade in and out and all that but if you want silence, just delete that marked audio clip.

Dweller_Benthos

ah, nice tip, thanks Art! That will come in handy.
D_B

Art Blade

welcome :)

By the way, I did a dry run on live commentary while recording and having watched a vid and listened to myself for an hour, I am now absolutely convinced that I was not cut out for that *bleep*, regardless the mic I might add. So.. not gonna happen. Dubbing might be an option but I don't really feel like doing that, either.

Dweller_Benthos

I hear you, and I think everyone has the same issue, because your voice doesn't sound the same in recordings as it does in your head (no internal echo chamber) so you think it sounds weird or funny or just "not you". My grandfather was that way so much that whenever someone wanted him to talk about the old days and record it, he wouldn't because he didn't like how he sounded on recordings.
D_B

Art Blade

hehe, I understand that, but in my case I was referring to something else: I am not good at playing and commenting about what I am doing at the same time. Things you wouldn't know and therefore would like to know, I simply wouldn't mention when I should have but I would mention stuff when I shouldn't. To you it would be like, "what is he doing now? And what is he talking about now?" You don't want that. ;)

Dweller_Benthos

Oh yeah, that's understandable, maybe try a bit of post commentary where you can do a couple takes and pick the best one that fits the situation, and not have to try to talk and play at the same time.
D_B

Art Blade

I was actually considering that. But it means a lot of effort.. first edit the whole stuff and then play it back (hm, like with VLC?) while talking about it. Probably means I need to separate audio from the video feed I am watching, like on a headset, would be OK since I'd be using the headset's mic. Then at the time recording that stuff.. probably with audacity. So, talking about what you'd be watching AND making sense, be entertaining and informative, not messing anything up or I'd have to record the stuff again. At least it's likely that I'd have to edit the recorded voice audio track.  Then import the audio file into the video editor and make sure it's not out of sync, get the volume right..

In other words, *bleep* that *bleep*. :gnehe:

It would be easier to practice talking while playing. Live recordings seem to be more common probably because in the end, it's a lot less effort.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah there would be a quite a bit of added effort to do that, probably why when they make TV shows and movies, they like to get the audio on the set, and not have to record new tracks in the studio, what they call ADR I think. Most actors hate it and it just adds to the production cost.
D_B

Art Blade

the worst example of which was a dubbed version of a film, I think it was "a knight's tale" with Heath Ledger. A recording that originally took place in room with reverb, let's say a church. The reverb had a lot of impact on the whole scene, obviously. In the cheap dubbed version, it was recorded dry. No reverb ??? :banghead:

Dweller_Benthos

Dubbed movies are an example of that sort of thing, yeah. The room they are in, and the actors are sometimes (usually?) not as good as the originals. Most of the time I'd rather have a subtitled movie instead of dubbed.
D_B

Art Blade

totally agree. It was out of curiosity, I wanted to hear how they translated a certain part so I switched the audio track. It was so horrible that indeed, the whole film is so far from the original that I call it the worst example of any dubbed film that I can imagine. Not for the sound but the translation in general. Unbelievable. To give one general example: despite being set in the medieval times, the writers purposefully decided to give it a modern touch to make it accessible for a younger audience and to make it appear less stale. So they created stylish, even sexy clothes, cool armour and used modern day language. The dubbed version ignored it and "reversed" it by using old fashioned language. That was in stark contrast to the modern clothes and even the background music which contained two modern songs, "the boys are back in town" and "we are the champions." The dubbed version was a farce. Also they simply didn't get the meaning of some phrases and terms, resulting in awkward translations that didn't make sense at all.

Dweller_Benthos

So, bad translation on top of bad dubbing? Ouch.
D_B

LowPolyOWG

3x moneys from Survivals from 2nd to 8th May. Did Sandy and the Maze bank with BinnZ for some quick cash :)
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Tags:
🡱 🡳