Farewell, Episode 3

Started by fragger, August 24, 2017, 08:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah there was no way I was buying VR gear just to play Alyx, but that looks pretty decent, a little more polish and I would think of getting the game and that mod and playing it that way.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

hmm.. if old games get polished up and are sold again, it's called "remastered." What if they agreed to "downgrade" that game, from VR to m+kb, and sold it again.. would that be "unmastered?"

LowPolyOWG

Nah, it would be Half Life: Alyx No VR edition
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

Thing is, the VR stuff looked cool, I watched about an hour of it, but the biggest thing I don't like about VR is the teleporting to move. I think you can set it to move like you're walking through the environment, but apparently that makes so many people sick that a lot of games don't even include the option. Alyx might, I think I saw one guy playing it and walking around. But Alyx is the only game I'm even remotely interested in that's VR and I'm not spending $1000 just to play one game.
D_B

Art Blade

indeed. VR has been around for a very long time now, and it has always been *bleep*. Alyx is indeed the only game I've seen so far that looks remotely interesting regarding the use of VR but still not good enough.

fragger

I'm not interested in VR at all. I think it's always going to be limited by its very nature compared to other gaming genres.

Art Blade

that's indeed true. If you think about it, Virtual Reality, "almost real" is far from what VR has to offer. It's actually only a 3D 360°-viewing experience. Any movements, including weapons and stuff, is nonsense on a PC-level. You'd actually need to have something like the motion capture in movies that allows cameras to track your entire body and put that data into the game.. which would again mean, you'd have to be able to swing your arms without ripping out the VR goggles and without knocking over the PC equipment including monitor and perhaps desk and all that. You'd have to be able to walk without bumping into your furniture and walls. Climbing and falling, even using stairs or a ladder, are out of the question anyway. In other words: total nonsense :gnehe:

Dweller_Benthos

the movie "Ready Player One" had the treadmill and full body suit that would make some of that possible, and I think there are at least prototypes of those things, or something similar available now. The thing is, you're still not using your body and especially your hands in a natural way. The controllers all seem so awkward that I've seen, they don't really let you grab anything, and the absence of force feedback makes it even more virtual than reality.
D_B

Art Blade

ready player one.. lol, I got and liked that one :thumbsup:

Tags:
🡱 🡳