The Scientific Way to Cut a Cake - Numberphile

Started by Art Blade, August 24, 2017, 03:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

:anigrin:

we call it Tortenguss = torte/fancy cake/layer cake pour and it refers to pouring whatever sweet stuff over a cake and it is supposed to congeal.

BinnZ

We call it "glazuur" which would be "glaze" in English. Because it's just like glazing a bowl fabricated from ceramics before it goes in the oven. Only difference; here you glaze it after putting it into the oven :anigrin:
"No hay luz"

fragger

Cool, you guys :thumbsup: I love to learn about stuff like that.

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

Art Blade

nex

Thanks mandru  O0

My mom's granadilla cake is a plain sponge cake with a little granadilla cake flavoring.
The frosting, as we also call it "icing" is the normal white icing with the granadilla pulp
mixed in, some of the icing between the two layers and the rest on top.

A while age we received about 24 granadillas and mrs nex mixed some of the pulp into the
cake mixture, it was a total waste. The granadilla flavour somehow got lost.

Mrs nex altered mom's chocolate cake recipe ever so slightly, we use a very dark cacao and we don't use it sparingly either,
a fair amount of cacao goes into the recipe as well as into the icing.

250 ml flour
10 ml baking powder
3 eggs
220 ml sugar
2 ml salt
5 ml vanilla essence
85 ml oil
200 ml dark cacao (dissolved in 125 ml hot water and allow to cool)

Beat eggs and sugar until fluffy
Add oil and blend well
Fold in sifted flour, baking powder and salt alternatively with the cacao mixture
Add vanilla essence and blend lightly

Pour into two cake sandwich tins and bake 20 to 25 min at 200 °C

Icing
120 ml butter
400 ml icing sugar
200 ml dark cacao
5 ml vanilla essence
And a little milk to cream

Respect is earned, not given.

mandru

You're welcome Nex.  :thumbsup:

I guess for us here in the U.S. (at least regionally for the areas where I've lived) Icing and Frosting are equally interchangeable at least for those of us eating and not producing Iced baked goods.  ;)

By the way, because I didn't recognize granadilla when I looked it up I found it's the Spanish word for passion fruit with which I am familiar.    8)

For the "etymolomaniacs" among us the French word Grenade in English is pomegranate the source of grenadine syrup.  That was where my head went when I first encountered granadilla.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

yep, same here.

and nex,  +1 :thumbsup: for sharing that recipe, YUM :) :)

nex

You're welcome Art, and thanks.   :thumbsup:

Oh yes I forgot, you guys would know it as passion fruit mandru   :gnehe:

nex

Quote from: Art Blade on September 01, 2017, 09:57:33 AM
:anigrin:

we call it Tortenguss = torte/fancy cake/layer cake pour and it refers to pouring whatever sweet stuff over a cake and it is supposed to congeal.

We also make a Chocolate "Pan" cake Art.

It's a single layer cake baked in a oven pan, once the cake is baked it is cut into approx 50 mm squares.
The so called icing is made by blending a little butter some plain yogurt, milk and lots of dark cacao then boiled,
take it off as it starts boiling, add icing sugar then stir till creamy, this is then poured over the pre-cut cake while both is still hot.

The hot icing draws into the cake and man, you can eat and eat.... :anigrin:

Art Blade

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳