Thinking about purchasing a video drone

Started by PZ, June 21, 2021, 07:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I've been thinking about investing in a video drone for a few years, but was always worried that I'd crash it and lose a significant investment. Technology has improved quite a bit, and the DJI Air 2S has all the features I would need including 4K video at 60fps, subject tracking, automatic rerun to home, and automatic obstacle avoidance. It can be controlled out to 12 km, which is simply amazing. The controller uses my phone as a screen to see what the drone camera sees, and appears to be quite simple in operation.

I watched a demo video in which the presenter said he could give the drone to his mother and she'd be able to create almost professional-looking video.

I'm still not positive I want to get this one, but it sure is tempting.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah that's one of those things I'd be interested in but there are a lot of restrictions on where you can fly them now. Like the place I'd most like to use one is in the Adirondacks but a large part of that area is restricted against motorized vehicles and a drone is considered one so you can't fly them legally in a large part of the park. There was a documentary made there a while ago and they had to hire a helicopter to do the aerial shots because drone use wasn't allowed. But it's typical government bureaucracy that a drone is considered a motorized vehicle, but a helicopter isn't?

Still would be fun though.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Yeah, I've seen the restrictions increase out west as well. However, there are some really out of the way places where one is not likely to be caught  :gnehe:

Art Blade

that video was made well regarding cutting and editing. Seamless transitions maintaining the same camera (drone) movement speed and all that, cool sound effects (flying through that small tent) and overall really, really well done. Except the actors whose stupid grin was glued to their faces when any normal person would look relaxed or focussed but definitely not be grinning like that. :anigrin:

The vid had several subtitles showing kind of a warning: "don't fly your drone where you can't see that thing unless someone allowed it."

Definitely a cool piece of tech O0

Art Blade

oh and dweller: LOL@helicopter comment, so true :D

PZ

Well, I'm leaning toward getting it or something like it, but will likely look at a few more videos and reviews. It is a hefty investment for something that I'd likely crash if I did not fly it often.

Art Blade

at least you can watch the crash over and over again unless you sink that thing like during a boat trip...

PZ

:D

I'd be way too afraid to take that thing on a boat  :gnehe:

Another benefit for me - I switched to an iPhone not long ago (my first since iPhone 3) and it is said that the controller is more geared to iOS than Android. Definitely should investigate further.

EDIT: I bit the bullet and made the purchase. Now I'll see if I made a big mistake.  :huh-new:

Dweller_Benthos

Well, hope to see some cool vacation aerial shots now!
D_B

PZ

Definitely  O0

I've also always wanted to see the layout of my property from the sky. While I can see it via Google Earth, it will be so much more satisfying to have video of my own.  :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, sure, you just wanna spy on the neighbors, right? LOL
D_B

PZ

Art Blade

PZ

Well, I received the drone yesterday and am now trying to figure out how it works while the batteries are charging

Art Blade

well, instead of trying to figure it out by yourself..

"RTFM" :gnehe:

Tags:
🡱 🡳