Upgrade to Windows 11?

Started by Dweller_Benthos, November 16, 2021, 07:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

An ongoing frustration with Win11 is that they removed the seconds from the desktop clock in the lower right corner of the taskbar.  Now there's only the Hours:minutes.  :banghead:

I have watches that are wind up or automatic winding when worn.  Either way when I pull out a watch out of their cases to wear that has been put away for a couple days I can't sync to an exact time.

This also messes with the mmorpg game I've been playing daily for over 20 years.  There are some useful advantages if you log in a few seconds after midnight GMT (6:00pm my time).  If you log in 15 seconds early it locks your time frame in the previous day not allowing you to collect the once daily benefits of the new day forcing you to log completely out and spend a couple minutes getting logged back in.

Some bright Win users figured out a w0#k around to get the seconds displayed on the toolbar clock once again but Windows who hates being thwarted added a patch in an almost immediate update that stripped the seconds back out again.

But I've found a way to access the seconds once more in the Windows settings.  There's an analog clock face and a digital representation (HH:MM:SS) if you dig deep enough.

Click the Start button on the toolbar this will display the pinned Apps from which you select Settings.
Next click Time & Language>Date & Time then scroll down and on Additional clocks there is a link in small print that says "clocks for different time zones".
This opens a popup window called Date and Time with 3 option tabs.  Select the Date and Time tab and there you will find the analog and digital clocks that include the SECONDS.

Take that Win11!  :evil2:
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

hmmmm I'm on windows 10 yet and I don't see seconds in the clock on the toolbar? If I click the date/time it pops up the full calendar month with the time with seconds on it, but I don't see any option to make the time on the toolbar itself to display seconds.

At home I have Rainmeter installed which has several desktop clocks available, I would imagine one of those has a seconds display.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

You are correct D_B.  I upgraded to Win11 a little over 4 months ago so I'd forgotten the step of clicking on the toolbar clock to open the calendar to view the time with seconds.  :-[

Prior to finding the hidden clocks in the Win11 settings I thought that I could overcome Windows' short comings.  I bought an atomic wall clock that syncs at 3:00am each morning to the Fort Collins Colorado National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) broadcast.  I set it up hanging over my desk space where it could be easily viewed in a place I'm most likely to need precise time.

It was then that I learned my Netgear router with WiFi (that's unavoidably within 3 feet of the clock) blocks any signal for the 3:00am sync.  The clock itself turns out to be so bad at keeping time I have to pull it off the wall each night and move it away from the router to a far corner of the apartment for the daily reset.

I've said it before; "If my life had theme music it would be Jethro Tull's Nothing Is Easy."  :laughsm:
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: mandru on April 01, 2022, 09:24:37 AM
...I've said it before; "If my life had theme music it would be Jethro Tull's Nothing Is Easy."  :laughsm:

:laughsm:

I'm using a Surface laptop that has facial recognition for auto login. It works great because both my wife and I use the machine and all we need do is open the lid and we are automatically returned to our desktop.

The rub is that I also allow the Windows daily images to pop up, which are mostly spectacular images from all over the world, and when I "like" them, more like that are displayed in the future (yeah, I know they are collecting information but I don't give a rat's *bleep* because the collection of that data has not noticeably affected my life  :gnehe:)

The problem now is that the machine recognizes me so fast that the daily new image is up for only a second or two, which barely lets me see it let alone click that I like it.  :D

Dweller_Benthos

Technology, making your life "easier"! LOL!😂
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳