I'm thinking about making a tiny home

Started by PZ, February 24, 2022, 09:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Thanks for the info D_B  :thumbsup:

My planned use for it would be only for the master bedroom shower/sink so it is likely a good idea for me. The shower would be only about 1-3 feet away from the heater so water should arrive really quickly.

The only potential sticky point might be getting the gas to the heater. Oh well, I'll need to leave it to the professionals.

Dweller_Benthos

Then you should have no problem there, turn on the shower and a few seconds you have all the hot water you need. Getting the gas to the heater is just a matter of piping, for a pro installer, not a big deal. I'm lucky that the guy who does all my heating and plumbing stuff lives just up the road and is also my cousin, so it's easy to get him to stop by for pretty much anything, lol.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

That blast of cold water at the start of a shower.  :o

Here comes the long run around the barn.  :anigrin:

When I was taking photography in college part of the courses required we also had to develop all of our film.  That process required precise control of the water temperature both as a bath to maintain heat the developer fluids needed and as a rinse to clear/clean the film in the hand held development cans to stop development.

Various types of films have different temperature needs.  Additionally if you are pushing or pulling back on the development rate of a film due to over or under exposure (because of known bad lighting during a shoot) then time & temp control was critical.  There was no universal standard temperature for all situations.  And a shot of cold water during a rinse of warm film would cause reticulation* which is a crazing in the emulsion.

This was before a lot of the digitally controlled electronics existed.  There were dials on the faucet taps for the sinks in the lab that had the ability to let you dial in the exact temperature (within .5 degree F) to maintain the balance between too hot or too cold to avoid under or over development of the negatives.  Water too hot or cold was bypassed from the lab faucets and collected in a secondary water tank which fed back into the main water supply to avoid waste.

Almost every shower I take (during that first blast of cold) causes me to yearn for the support system and one of those temperature controlled taps.

*There was one weekly assignment where we intentionally had to force reticulation on a roll of film to observe the use of it for artistic purposes.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 09, 2022, 07:57:21 AM
I'm lucky that the guy who does all my heating and plumbing stuff lives just up the road and is also my cousin, so it's easy to get him to stop by for pretty much anything, lol.

Dang, you're lucky D_B!  O0

Quote from: mandru on March 09, 2022, 08:05:58 AM
That blast of cold water at the start of a shower.  :o

Here comes the long run around the barn.  :anigrin:

When I was taking photography in college part of the courses required we also had to develop all of our film.  That process required precise control of the water temperature both as a bath to maintain heat the developer fluids needed and as a rinse to clear/clean the film in the hand held development cans to stop development.

Various types of films have different temperature needs.  Additionally if you are pushing or pulling back on the development rate of a film due to over or under exposure (because of known bad lighting during a shoot) then time & temp control was critical.  There was no universal standard temperature for all situations.  And a shot of cold water during a rinse of warm film would cause reticulation* which is a crazing in the emulsion.

This was before a lot of the digitally controlled electronics existed.  There were dials on the faucet taps for the sinks in the lab that had the ability to let you dial in the exact temperature (within .5 degree F) to maintain the balance between too hot or too cold to avoid under or over development of the negatives.  Water too hot or cold was bypassed from the lab faucets and collected in a secondary water tank which fed back into the main water supply to avoid waste.

Almost every shower I take (during that first blast of cold) causes me to yearn for the support system and one of those temperature controlled taps.

*There was one weekly assignment where we intentionally had to force reticulation on a roll of film to observe the use of it for artistic purposes.

??? I had no idea water temperature is so critical to film development! Sounds like you had quite the experience with film!

mandru

:)  PZ I received a grant that allowed me to go to college in a Media Technician program after many unfulfilling years working physical grunt jobs.  The course of studies for that program were a vast pool of new information that I would have never otherwise been able to experience and I relished diving deep.

Film, TV Studio Production, a year of writing poetry and short fiction (for the English credits) to name a few of the items on the knowledge buffet.
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah very interesting Mandru, our processors here are all automated now, have tapped in hot & cold water and heaters in them to maintain a set temperature for the film developing. It has to be fairly close at all times to get the amount of density in the film required to be able to properly expose the printing plates from them.

As for the cold blast at the beginning of the shower, do you not let the hot water run first until it's settled at the shower head and chased out all the cold water that was in the pipe? Since the heater is a fair bit away from the shower in my house, it would be a little while (10-15 seconds) of cold water showering before the hot water got there. I always let it run until it's fully hot before turning on the cold tap to bring it down to a comfortable temperature.
D_B

PZ

Very impressive mandru  :thumbsup:

The older I become the more I realize how little I know. Thanks to all you gents who continue to educate us all.  O0

mandru

I'm always seeking life hacks and points of interest too PZ.

Now if I could just learn to stop swishing the coffee pot (stirring up the dregs) before pouring that last cup of coffee.  :banghead:

D_B, the way my shower is set up (to keep water from spraying out of the tub) the curtain has to be completely sealed before the shower head is engaged.  I can run hot at the faucet but there's still the heat sucking four feet of copper pipe up the shower head.

My best option is to get in the tub, seal the curtain, set the water and quickly cover the shower head with my hand to deflect most of that first blast of cooled water.  ::)
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

Oh I see! That's an interesting situation, I've never heard of a link between the shower curtain and the shower head. That would make it tricky trying to avoid the cold water at the start!
D_B

PZ

Quote from: mandru on March 11, 2022, 05:42:40 AM
Now if I could just learn to stop swishing the coffee pot (stirring up the dregs) before pouring that last cup of coffee.  :banghead:

:D you and me both mandru - helps keep a few grounds out of the cup.  It also helps to avoid swirling when I'm enjoying an old bottle of wine that contains sediment.  :gnehe:

fragger

Quote from: PZ on March 10, 2022, 09:34:07 AM
The older I become the more I realize how little I know. Thanks to all you gents who continue to educate us all.  O0

I wouldn't exactly say your knowledge base is lacking in any way, PZ :) But I get what you mean. If "ignorance is bliss", it would explain why I'm happy a lot :gnehe:

PZ

Quote from: fragger on March 11, 2022, 03:34:25 PM
... If "ignorance is bliss", it would explain why I'm happy a lot :gnehe:

I guess we're two of a kind, fragger  :gnehe:

Tags:
🡱 🡳