Farewell, Barry!

Started by fragger, April 28, 2023, 01:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

I was saddened by the passing of Aussie comedian Barry Humphries a few days ago. He's best known for his character of Dame Edna Everage, an alter-ego he has played for many, many years. I don't know how well known he is in the US, if at all, but he has been an icon in Australia and the UK for decades. I've been watching him since I was in my early teens and I think he's hilarious!

Some believed he was gay, some have called him a "drag queen", but the was neither of those things (he was married four times and has kids). He was a comedian, not a cross-dresser, and one of the most quick-witted performers I know of. Dame Edna was just one of his characters (and the only "female" one), but it's his best known persona.

R.I.P. Barry.

Here is a very short video of him in his Edna persona at a Royal Variety performance some years ago. Few but Humphries could get away with this :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

Oh yeah I've heard of Dame Edna, somewhere along the way, not sure where. Never knew who the performer was though, sad to hear of his passing.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I've not heard of Barry Humphries before. It looks like he was one of the good guys. Sad when nice people pass.

nex

He inspired a South African guy Pieter Dirk-Uys performing as a woman called Evita Bezuidenhout
Respect is earned, not given.

Tags:
🡱 🡳