this is about WEATHER -- in case you need something useful and cool

Started by Art Blade, September 10, 2017, 01:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

We never have hurricanes and almost never have earthquakes. A tornado appears once is a great while but it is hardly worth mentioning.

What we do have however is frigid cold when the conditions are right, and ice storms that weigh the trees down so much they fall over, break branches, etc., many of which fall on power lines. Last year there were tens of thousands of people out of power in the middle of winter when it was less that 20F.

fragger

Earthquakes are almost unheard of in Australia because the whole country is like one big rock underneath :gnehe: Cyclones sometimes harry the north and north-east parts of the country, but they never come far enough south to worry us. We certainly don't know about ice and snow weighing down trees until they fall :gnehe: Major droughts are common in the Outback - then it rains like crazy, and because the ground has baked hard, the water can't drain into it quickly enough and everything floods. I think they have more harsh weather out there than fair.

In our immediate area, the biggest concern is bushfires, really.

BinnZ

We have an awful lot of water. But we learned to live with it and hardly ever suffer from flooding.  :)
"No hay luz"

Dweller_Benthos

So I just clicked the original link to windy.com and was looking at the hurricanes off the coast when I noticed a large amount of wind in the north Atlantic and zoomed out a bit. That thing isn't powerful enough to be a hurricane, I guess, but the size just dwarfs the other two storms. Sheesh, wouldn't want to be on a boat up there right now.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

PZ

fragger

PZ

Man, I'm using this tool regularly daily basis.  :thumbsup:

There is even a new feature that displays the tide data for most of the U.S. coast - very useful when we make our annual trip to the Oregon coast.

Art Blade

there are really useful things on the net. This is one of them :)

BinnZ

I checked it yesterday to see whether it gave any info on that volcano blast on Hawaii, but no luck this time :bigsmile:
"No hay luz"

fragger

Probably too volatile in Hawaii at the moment for any kind of reliable data.

PZ

Windy.com had come a long way since Art first posted this link, and I still have it as a tab on all my browsers. I use it every day, and laughingly tell everyone that it is more accurate than the local weather people.

I enjoy traveling to the Oregon coast, and the tidal information is very useful.

Tags:
🡱 🡳