Good mods

Started by PZ, May 05, 2024, 02:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Here are a few mods I've tried, and helps me play a bit better.

Satellite World Map A replacer for the pip-boy World Map, available in 8k resolution, that gives an aerial view of the Commonwealth as it looks in game. Made using the game's LoD meshes and textures, among other things. It also extends the boundaries of the pip-boy map, showing some of the landscape that lies outside of the playable area.

The mod is available in both full color and monochrome versions, and there are optional files using a 4k texture rather than 8k. While these are lower quality they allow you to zoom out further on the world map. It's mainly a personal preference, as there shouldn't be any noticeable performance impact when using either version.

Zoom-out Extended for World and Local Maps - For 2K 4K 8K World Maps is great for the 8k map because it allows one to zoom out to see the full view of the map. The plain version of Satellite World Map is zoomed in a bit too far which makes it difficult to see where you are on the map. UPDATE: I changed to this mod because it has the colored icons built in

Ultra Exterior Lighting This mod adds shadow cast lights to many of the physical light sources in the Fallout 4 exterior world including Far Harbor and Nukaworld. There has also been vast improvements made to the general lighting associated with physical lights sources bring you a vastly more immersive exterior lighting.

Enhanced Light and FX Enhanced Lights and FX has the goal to create a more atmospheric and realistic lighting. It overhauls the lights, effects, ambient light and creates a new mood for interiors.

The M2216 Standalone Assault Rifle An advanced new rifle comes to the Wasteland. With FULL modding support! Now updated with WORKING SCOPES and new barrels. Personally, I do not like the cartoonish look of the vanilla weapons.

Pip-Boy Flashlight (Pipboy - Power Armor - Lamp Overhaul) I used this because my dark areas were way too dark. I wanted to get a mod that would change only the darkness, but it interfered with my existing mods. This mod makes the dark area experiences much more illuminated.

Custom Radio Music allows you to add/replace music of your choice. I used this mod to allow me to add the music from the Commercial Radio mod, thereby passing the need to have Freedom Radio active.

Vivid Fallout Vivid Fallout is an overhaul of all landscape textures, but also trees, rocks, roads, bridges and some concrete stuff. In many cases I just sharpened the games original textures somewhat, added new normal maps and a slight shadowing. However, the result looks quite good and... the textures are less V-Ram heavy than the original ones!

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah I use the satellite map and also pretty sure the extended zoom out one as well. I also use the color coded map icons which bring the icons to better visibility and I think group them by color for what they represent, not sure as it's been quite a while since I added them.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I haven't added the color coded ones yet, but will do so because the grouping sounds like a winner.

Dweller_Benthos

At least I'm pretty sure that's what the colors mean, it's been a long while lol
D_B

PZ

I installed it last night, and you're correct (I think) because there does seem to be some kind of grouping. Definitely makes the icons easier to see.

LKs multicolored map markers

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah the one I use looks  similar to that, I think it was the zoom out extended one, but can't be sure. If nothing else, having them different colors when they are close together they don't all merge into one mass of same color icons.
D_B

PZ

Because of the mods I've added, I needed to uninstall the satellite map and zoom mods and then reinstall them because neither was working properly. Because I did that, the map is beautiful and perfect 8k display. I changed the mod for zooming the map because it already contained the colored map icons (see the first post) I think this is the one D_B mentioned.

I added another mod in the first post of this thread for an assault rifle, The M2216 Standalone Assault Rifle, which is the nicest weapon I've found so far. However, I want to find the Tesla Cannon because it is reportedly one of the weapons that is most satisfying. I think it is one of the weapons that comes with the new update. Something new to look for.

On an aside, I'm playing using ultra high settings on my gaming laptop which has a built-in Radeon 780M graphic processor plus a nVidia GeForce RTX 4060 GPU. Normally on the hardware intensive games, the nVidia automatically starts and takes over. Fallout 4 is 10+ years old so it does not even trigger the nVidia processor to take over. The game does not even stress the laptop enough to use more than minimal fan and very little heat production - 40 degrees centigrade less than most modern games (about half the total heat). Gaming laptops these days are real powerhouses.

Dweller_Benthos

That rifle does look good, they did a lot of w0#k on that. As I recall, I ended up using a 10mm pistol for a lot of situations, I think i had one with a bonus effect on it like burning or explosive or some such. It did a lot of damage and I even used it to take down Mirelurk queens. I probably also carry around a couple other guns and a mini nuke launcher for fun but I think for the most part that 10mm was used for a long time.
D_B

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on May 09, 2024, 07:48:45 AMThat rifle does look good, they did a lot of w0#k on that. As I recall, I ended up using a 10mm pistol for a lot of situations, I think i had one with a bonus effect on it like burning or explosive or some such. It did a lot of damage and I even used it to take down Mirelurk queens. I probably also carry around a couple other guns and a mini nuke launcher for fun but I think for the most part that 10mm was used for a long time.
??? wow, that's definitely a high powered gun. What you wrote took me instantly back to FC2 in which I modded the 6P9 into a one-shot, one-kill weapon.

I kind of like the rifle for now, but I'm sure I'll narrow it down to a favorite one of these days.

Yesterday I did the mission to get the Tesla gun. It was fun and like the mission to get the X02 armor, took you to several places on the map to achieve the mission.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dweller_Benthos

Is that one of the new missions and weapon? Looks pretty cool for sure.
D_B

PZ

I believe it is a new mission called Best of Three. It was kind of like finding the X-02 armor, going to several places to continue the mini-story. Definitely enjoyable, and a the Tesla gun was definitely a worthwhile bonus. I've not used it on foes yet, but definitely on the list of things to do.

PZ

Just added a visuals mod called Vivid Fallout to the first post in this thread. The change to the visual aspect of the game is quite remarkable, and it is said that the performance is actually better than the original game, although I have not had a chance to verify anything other than the colors are definitely more vivid and graphics are quite a bit more detailed.

Dweller_Benthos

That vivid mod looks pretty cool, I may add that one once things get updated.
D_B

PZ

I've played with that mod for a couple of days now, and I still stop to admire the scenery now and then

PZ

This is a good example of textures in the vivid mod:

Tags:
🡱 🡳