Subaru owners

Started by PZ, May 19, 2024, 07:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

For anyone that owns a Subaru and has problem with the throttle being jerky or not smooth, evidently when the battery is disconnected or depletes, the throttle body is affected.

Attached is a PDF giving the steps to retrain the throttle body rather than having to take it in to the shop.

Dweller_Benthos

Don't have one but know a few people who do, I'll pass that along.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

Thanks PZ.  O0

We purchased an upscale 2024 Subaru Crosstrek a year ago for a week long trip to an area East of Seattle for my High School reunion.

We've currently not encountered any of the symptoms that would require this fix. That said I've saved the PDF towards the off chance that it might come in handy should the need ever arise.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

I'm glad it might be of help, mandru  O0

My wife purchased a 2024 Outback Wilderness recently and absolutely loves it. I have to admit that it is really nice, and makes my 2007 Subi look ancient in comparison.

My wife's Subi has not experienced anything yet (knock on wood) , but you never know. The quite simple "fix" to be worth saving if it saves a trip to the dealer.

fragger

The first car I ever owned - at age 44 (I'd ridden motorcycles exclusively up until then) - was a '92 Subaru Liberty. It was second-hand but in terrific condition for its age, which was about 12 years. I picked it up for a mere $4,000 AUS, from a Canadian couple who lived in my building (back in Sydney) who had to return home on short notice for some reason. Thus they had to sell their car quite quickly, so I snapped it up. That was a great car, quite gutsy and it never gave me a speck of trouble. And despite being an automatic I could actually do some engine braking with it. I was very happy with that car.

Subarus are pretty good vehicles, and from what I've seen they appear to be very well made.

PZ

That's quite a history with Subaru, fragger  :thumbsup:

I was the first in our family to purchase a Subaru back in 2007. I do not drive it in the winter, and it has only about 24k miles. When I go to the dealer for service, I see a car almost exactly like mine. Evidently the owner put his STI into the showroom. Same color as mine, it had more miles on the odometer, but is in perfect condition like mine. Pop the hood and the engine still looks like it just came from the showroom. It is one year older than mine, and the word from the staff is that someone offered the owner 100K for the car. I'd like to think that story is true.  :gnehe:

mandru

Mrs mandru had bought a new '94 Subaru Loyale 4wd wagon a few years before we met.

We married about the time the Loyale decided to become a money pit.  Multiple timing belts, annual replacement of the rubber boots for the front trans axles blowing out allowing dust to collect in the grease lubricating the axles causing their failure.

And along with that there was an annual leak that would develop in the heater core that would become evident by the chromatic haze (from the antifreeze in the cooling system) that would form on the the inside of the windshield to let us know it was time for yet another repair.

I don't know if these recurring problems were an actual sign that it was time to get rid of it or if the dealership servicing it for us was playing fast and loose to get us to buy a new car from them.  :undecided-new:

At model year end in 2005 we decided the Subie had become too Un-Loyale and bought a Hyundai Elantra that basically proved to be a showroom queen.  There were 12 miles on the odometer and on closer examination had the added features of Traction Control and Anti-Lock breaking which were not even supposed to come with that model.  For $16K the dealership either didn't know what they had or just wanted to move her out for the new incoming model year arrivals.

It's funny. We'd gone in to the dealership having agreed that we were "just looking-not buying".  Mrs mandru was shocked but agreeable when I took her aside and said to her "We need to grab this NOW!"

With the help of an excellent local private mechanic and the crew at his shop the Elantra is still going strong at nearly 200k miles and has become my car when in our conflicting schedules Mrs mandru needs to go somewhere else with the Crosstrek.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Dang, that's quite the recovery, mandru  :thumbsup:

The Loyale sounds like it was quite the lemon

Tags:
🡱 🡳