A driving sandbox game

Started by PZ, May 21, 2024, 11:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Anyone know much about BeamNg.drive?  It looks quite interesting. This from the developer (more at the link): 

Quote from: BeamNg.driveThe BeamNG physics engine is at the core of the most detailed and authentic vehicle simulation you've ever seen in a game. Every component of a vehicle is simulated in real-time using nodes (mass points) and beams (springs). Crashes feel visceral, as the game uses an incredibly accurate damage model.

One of my favorite movies is Steven Spielberg's first: Duel. Someone made a mod of the truck used in that movie:

PZ

Well, I couldn't help myself - I purchased the game, installed the mod, and am beyond delighted. This is definitely the best vehicle sandbox I have ever seen. Lots of different camera angles, working suspensions, damage that looks real, etc. 

Quote from: BeamNg.DriveThe BeamNG physics engine is at the core of the most detailed and authentic vehicle simulation you've ever seen in a game. Every component of a vehicle is simulated in real-time using nodes (mass points) and beams (springs). Crashes feel visceral, as the game uses an incredibly accurate damage model.

Smoke comes from the tires and the truck/trailer shudder when I slam on the air brakes, the diesel smoke looks just like in the movie, and the mod maker even recorded the diesel, horn, and other sounds which the mod uses - it makes me feel like I am the crazy truck driver!

I'm now looking forward to modifying the specifications of an offroad vehicle to do some rock crawling because the suspensions are so realistic.

Dweller_Benthos

Oh yeah I've seen a few videos and streams of this, mostly in the sandbox area where you set up certain conditions (like a school bus on top of a ski jump ramp) and let it go and see what happens. I guess there's racing too or something lol.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Yeah, just about anything you can do with a vehicle can be done. I'm still learning the details, but they go way down to basics like being able to adjust the tire pressure, change the suspension so you can rock crawl.  The damage system is very realistic - virtually anything can come off your vehicle, become dented, etc. When your tires become damaged and go flat, the vehicle pulls to that side, and the wheel metal becomes worn off as you keep driving. If the accident is bad enough your car can even catch fire. So far, the most realistic driving game I've ever seen.

fragger

The game looks amazing, and the physics seem very impressive indeed!

PZ, "Duel" is also one of my faves. Such a simple concept for a movie - a truck menacing a car - but extremely riveting, and it still holds up.

I haven't played a driving sim for many years. Well, there was GTA V, but that isn't really a simulator as such. I think the last proper driving sim of any sort I played was Microprose Grand Prix way back in 2002.

Might give this one a look, especially since the magic word "Sandbox" was mentioned :anigrin:

PZ

I'm a bit obsessed with the movie (I have the original TV version, BluRay, and now just acquired the 4K version. This simulation is so detailed you can see the diesel smoke coming out the stacks, and physics so detailed they look like actual car crash simulations.

I drove the Duel truck off a cliff and watched it fall apart much like we see in the movie - fenders flying, crumpling steek, wheels flying off, etc. It definitely is an interesting experience.

I saved an interesting YouTube playlist of a variety of different activities in the game.

This is one of the videos - rather impressive

Dweller_Benthos

That one of the rally race where it tumbles down the cliff for about a mile before hitting the tree had me laughing so hard  :laughsm:
D_B

PZ

That one was good - especially seeing increasing numbers of parts coming off until there was only what looked like the cabin left.

Dweller_Benthos

Chance of surviving 1% haha (or something, I forget the actual number)
D_B

PZ

lol, yeah, I remember it was a really low number  :gnehe:

Tags:
🡱 🡳