Started by LowPolyOWG, August 30, 2017, 05:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

that's really annoying and stupid :banghead:

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

LowPolyOWG

So, new season started just as the corona wave hit hard... The Trials of Osiris game mode has returned and some "old" weapons. Tossing Calus's Selected shader on them pretty much Mida's Touch :anigrin: Currently, Bungie is working from home so I guess updates will be on a slower phase.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

A gold-plated rocket launcher

Gold-plated assault rifle

Golden sniper

Golden fusion rifle

Dweller_Benthos

oooohh now those are nice and fancy!
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Yeah, gotta play the Trials mode for those. Not going to bother.

Speaking of Destiny, I haven't played it since the new season arrived. Got bored and decided to return to my "old" games that I had left behind.

Anyway, what made me laugh, was that the 2.8.0 update fixed an issue with loading times being tied to frame rate :laughsm: In other words, the game loads faster now on SSDs :gnehe: Leaks regarding the fall expansion have surfaced. Next week, Bungie will talk about their Eververse store and how they want change it. veteran players have been quite vocal about Eververse getting new stuff, while Bungie are doing bare minimum with the seasonal content.

Who knows, reading through their job listings, they want more employees in their engineering roles (tools, graphics, UI, core engine). I guess Bungie will enhance their tools and engine, which was and probably is, a nightmare to w0#k with.

Art Blade

loading times bound to frame rates. Man.. :banghead:

fragger

I like the design of the "Eye Of Sol" best :thumbsup:

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: Art Blade on May 03, 2020, 03:24:43 PM
loading times bound to frame rates. Man.. :banghead:

When you fork an old engine notable for tying stuff to frame rate. Basically, Halo's Blam engine has a lot of stuff tied to frame rate. While Bungie changed some of that for project Tiger, they didn't got all of it (30 fps target on X360/PS3 and Xbox One/PS4). Until they shipped Destiny 2 on PC, which had some notable exploits/bugs (higher weapon damage, broken super mobility etc).

Prior to a patch, the raid exotic 1000 Voices had higher damage at high frame rates. :laughsm:

Quote from: fragger on May 03, 2020, 07:04:51 PM
I like the design of the "Eye Of Sol" best :thumbsup:

It's visually identical to the Revoker, but different perks and shader ;) Being a looter shooter, many guns share the same design/animations. Might be seen as lazy, but Borderlands does the same thing (same model, but different rarity/stats) and The Division 1 and 2. A M4A1 at lvl 1 is still visually identical to a lvl 40 M4A1, except for stats/perks.

The Revoker

Dweller_Benthos

Fallout 4 loading is restricted by frame rate, that's why I run the mod that unhooks frame rate during loading screens and turns it back down when it's done loading so the physics, which is also tied to frame rate, doesn't freak out.
D_B

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Bungie isn't a good engine developer, so they left 343 Industries with some undocumented areas of the engine and their painful tools. At the moment, 343 Industries created their own Slipspace engine to cope with those problems. The employees sited crunch due to a poor pipeline a problem with both Halo 4 and Halo 5. Halo 5 released kinda "unfinished", some modes that was expected (Forge, multiplayer playlists was missing from launch) and 343i couldn't do much. Most of the added "DLC" maps were rehashes of existing maps/made within the Forge mode. Digging within Halo's files on PC, I saw that weapon properties can be adjusted on a per map basis, rather than a single file. No wonder why content creation/balancing in Halo was hard, if you need to ensure every map has the same weapon/item properties. Unsure how it works for Destiny, but some exotics items have caused a lot of bugs, forcing Bungie to temporarily disable them several times last year :laughsm:

Telesto the Bugesto

As much as Bethetic's games are a buggy mess, their tools are very easy to use. Todd went out and said how comfortable the tools are to w0#k with. Fast world creation and modders know it well. They could definitely figure out a way to keep the tools pipeline and rewrite the code causing all the bugs, but nah.

LowPolyOWG

This Week at Bungie dev blog, detailing weapon sunsetting

Looks like Year 4 will introduce a lot of changes. Weapon/armor will be retired, making them useless for new activities in the next year. Kinda sucks, I already have some nice weapons/armor I enjoy using, due to their perk combos/stats. At the same time, Bungie will let us chose what rewards we get from engrams. Yes, it will still be random, but limited to a category so we can get what we want.

I have been through this before with Division 2, where Massive changed exotic talents and armor stats. It ruined my gear build and if I wanted to get better gear, I would need to level up to the new level cap (40), then build my character again.  :banghead:

Bungie kinda made year 1 weapons "retired" with the Forsaken update (you could still infuse them to the highest power available and use them in the new activities), but they were often out-performed by random rolled weapons.

Art Blade

almost the whole game industry seems to think, "online is where we make our money so DON'T let them keep good stuff, instead let them KEEP grinding for good stuff or much better, pay with real money for fake guns." :banghead:

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah that's a really weird thing to do, outright elimination of armor and weapons, making them useless, and thus voiding everything a player has done for the last couple years. I can maybe see something like that in an online game to allow new players to catch up, or to level the playing field as it were, but there should be some system in place to allow long time players to recoup the losses from their stuff being made useless.
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Primarily to level out the playing field and make the game into a MMO shooter. Most likely, we will get new activities/campaign and updated gear from core activities (Strikes/Crucible/Gambit). The old gear can be used in activities where your power level/score doesn't matter, e.g the Crucible playlist. Old activities will still be doable, but they will probably not drop powerful rewards that increase your power level. What players can do, is dismantle their upgraded gear to recoup materials spent on upgrades.

How Eververse will change. Lot of good changes, but the transmogrification for silver doesn't sound great. Hopefully, they mean buying transmog gear from Eververse with silver. Would be weird if you have to pay silver to transmog armor looted from the world

Also, I hope Bungie have spent this year creating a new toolset for Destiny 2. Luke Smith said "content creation" was hard, despite the help from Activision studios Vicarious Visions and High Moon. Kotaku's article on the messy development of Destiny 1. Which probably impacted Destiny 2

Tags:
🡱 🡳