No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 11, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Did a bunch of exploring and resource gathering on a planet with the Roamer, which is a lot more interesting than farming for them. Got a bunch of the one material needed to make circuit boards. Now I'm short of one of the other ingredients. But I drove around a large area of the planet they grow on, finding waypoints, scanning stuff, and generally having fun driving the buggy. A nice thing is when you upgrade the vehicle with the full scanner, it can find most of the stuff that a beacon can find, like drop pods, monoliths, etc. So it makes it easy to just scan for something, drive towards it, and pick up any points along the way. So I found a portal on this planet and it looked pretty cool with the giant half moon mountain behind it, so here's a screeny:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

So, I drive the buggy at breakneck speed usually, and when I hit the top of a hill, I boost it to max speed and hit the hop button at the top to get maximum air time. Sometimes I stick the landing, sometimes I end up in a cave and have to boost my way out. On my way to a drop pod, I would say I stuck the landing perfectly this time.

So I have my suit upgraded to the maximum number of cargo slots which is 25. I've also upgraded the tech slots to the max of ten, but since there's only four pieces of tech you can currently install, makes you wonder if they've left room for future items.

I also grabbed a save game editor which from the looks of it, can change pretty much anything in your game. Cheaty as all get out, but I may use it to add some more cargo slots if the game will even support that, but it appears the editor lets you do it anyway.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

you wouldn't happen to know the name of that save game editor and perhaps a path to where to find it? :)

Dweller_Benthos

Sure, here you go:

https://nomansskymods.com/mods/no-mans-sky-save-editor/

Looks well done, visual display for inventories, simple interface, lets you change/add/move stuff, learn all language, give yourself money, etc etc. Though I haven't tried it yet beyond just running it and opening a save. What I might do is enable more cargo slots on my suit, then just go in game and use the drop pods to buy them. That way it won't seem quite so cheaty. I may also re-arrange the slots on the vehicles as they are a bit random as usual, and I'd like them just in a grid. One other thing that might be interesting if it really works is adding slots to the multi-tool, then maybe I'd try some of those other weapon modes. Oh yeah, it seems it also can give the storage modules you build at the base more slots, so I think I'll try that too.

Did some more exploring and found this weird fella, looks like a pineapple, hops around and has weird spider eyes.

Traded up my multi-tool, got a 24 slot "A" class that does something like 20% more damage or mining speed, forget which, also has longer range on the scanner. Didn't take a screenshot, because I wasn't thinking of trading it in at the time. So now I need to get the stuff to add back in all the upgrades.
D_B

Art Blade

thanks for the link, I'll keep it in mind. I'm definitely going to use something like the tool you found there because I really can't be arsed to go through all that mumbo-jumbo with all those traders and everything again. :)

Hehe, I had something very similar to those hopping pineapples on one of my planets once and I think those buggers were carnivore, even. In a Homer Simpson voice: HELP!  :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

Another planet, another portal:

Another planet, another walking nightmare:

Pretty big as compared to my buggy.

Mostly I just wandered around looking for materials to make circuit boards and stuff to upgrade my new multi-tool. Made little progress in either, but I did visit a few places, dig up some stuff at a crash site and shot a lot of sentinels.
D_B

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Another planet, another portal:

My base is currently on a moon that orbits this planet. I've found a base here and plan to move there. This planet can grow natively one of the ingredients to make circuit boards, so I can just plant them around outside and not have to worry about keeping them inside in a farming station. I'll need to figure out how much I need to take from my old base as not everything gets transferred when you claim a new base. But this planet is a lot more interesting than the moon I'm on, which has no outposts, no animals or plants, and very sparse resources. The new planet also has no animals, but I can deal with that as that means no hostile ones either. But there is grass and relaxed sentinels so they shouldn't be much worry, and some more scenery when I drive around in the buggy. The portal address will let anyone come here for a visit if they are playing as well. Unfortunately, my base is going to be quite a distance from the portal.

Just a random scene from the new planet, you know, I think there's a pill you can take for that condition, see your doctor.

D_B

Art Blade

excellent :anigrin: Have fun with your new base, that planet sure is a better idea O0

Dweller_Benthos

I will, when I get back to it. Been playing Wolfenstein II for a bit, plus a new Minecraft modpack has taken some time as well. Heck, NMS waited a year, it can wait again lol.
D_B

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Played a little bit today, mostly busy w0#k getting ready to move base. Thought I'd take a couple shots of where the new place is.

You can see where the "place a base here" algorithm carved out a section of the landscape and plopped a base there. I might smooth out the big hill on the left that leads down to the river to make it not so steep a hill.

Another shot from a lower angle showing the "pillow" of land the base was created on. I've seen pics of people's bases where this is floating a bit or it created it's own island in the ocean, where the default land around the base that is there to make sure you have room to build interacts strangely with the terrain.

D_B

Art Blade

that's just some raw terrain levelling ???
The base-building algorithm should smoothen the terrain around the edges before slamming down a base.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, it just picks a spot and slaps down the pre-made structure for whatever it's placing. Same goes for that portal pic I posted a bit back, with the weird half moon shape behind it. What that actually is, is a half sphere that was generated right where the portal then erased half the half sphere to leave a quarter sphere.

Here's a pretty cool cinematic video someone posted on reddit.

D_B

Art Blade

yes, nice vid :) Not sure, is that old footage? I couldn't tell.

Tags:
🡱 🡳