No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 11, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

Maybe building a space game with 16 employees is too much of a job for them? :huh-new:

Remember this topic?
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah there is that. Discussion on Reddit essentially leans towards the theory that they had a game pretty much set up and just needed some tweaks, maybe a year of early access to get final, but then somehow Sony got involved and they had to re-do the entire game to get it to w0#k on a Playstation, in one year. That is what caused the game to look like one thing at the E3 conference and look entirely different a year later when they released it. And it's taken them 3 years to catch up to where they were before they decided to make it compatible with a console.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

obviously, somehow they overestimated themselves when telling Sony, "alright."

fragger

It's like they've gone from one extreme to the other. Originally, it was clearly apparent that much of what was promised was missing. Now it seems like they're intent on stuffing new content down their customers' throats as rapidly as they can.

I really think they need to step back, take some time and consolidate all these changes into one big eventual update. One big change as opposed to these endless smaller ones. This is why I won't pick the game up anymore - too many changes in too short a time. I'd like to know that I could invest dozens of hours in a game without it turning into something quite different along the way.

LowPolyOWG

Too many changes in a short time = How to kill your game. ::)
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, that's what early access is for, and why I no longer play Kerbal Space Program, though I still love that game. But it's not the game I started playing a couple years ago anymore, it's very different. It's also why I stopped playing Astroneer for the most part, until it gets a full release. I could see the same thing happening with that game, a lot of things changed and it was starting to become annoying, starting the game over time and time again.

Luckily with No Man's Sky, I didn't have to start over and honestly except for a few things that bug me about the updates and accompanying resets, it's better with the added content. Sure it would have been better if it had released that way, but that's how it goes.
D_B

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on November 30, 2018, 12:43:48 AMThis is why I won't pick the game up anymore - too many changes in too short a time.

Totally agree, same here. I described it previously as waiting for the universe to settle.

fragger

Yep, it's still too soon after the big bang :gnehe:

Art Blade

hehe, in this case it is kind of reversed. With "our" big bang, it started with tremendous force and then gradually slowed down. In the process stars and planets were created and on one of those planets, the only inhabited world we know of, we have been living. With NMS, it started with a pop and has been building up to a shitstorm of epic proportions, and all the worlds and moons have been inhabited from the start. We may kill off sentinels and life forms but they never become extinct. And then, the magic happens, the whole bloody universe gets a make-over every couple of weeks and all life reincarnates. It is a tad off the known paths of how we know the universe works but hey.. it's not a trick. It's Hello Games. :gnehe:

Dweller_Benthos

LOL, it's not as bad as that, the universe resets have been maybe once or twice a year. Only one major one really, and a couple minor ones. The major one reset everything, from names to actual planet types and solar systems. The minor ones since then have changed some parts of planets, or aspects of them, but not entire systems. Like in the last one, my home planet, for instance, the grass changed from green to orange and that's it.

I did a bit of live stream to show a funny or annoying, glitch, depending on your point of view. This happens now and then with the new underwater ruins, you navigate to the place it's supposed to be and it's high in the air. Usually going back to the ship, saving and then returning fixes it, but not this time, as I'd already done that a time or two. So I thought about trying to land the ship on it, but it doesn't recognize it as a place to land, so I thought I'd build a tower up to it, but hit a build limit before even getting close, but that did allow me to build a place to land, save and reload the game while in the same area, and that fixed it. After that it's just some normal game stuff, finding another sunken building to raid and going back to the freighter to do some follow up on a mission and send my fleet off on another to make me more money.

D_B

Art Blade

I just finished watching that vid. A few comments:

Stupid bug with airborne underwater buildings :banghead:

Nice parking between two palm trees :)

LOL @ those oyster things you grabbed living pearls off, when they kept bitching you and you probably thought, "BITCH," when shooting a grave into the sea bed to sink one of those buggers :thumbsup: :D

I like your capital ship's interior with those plant arrays and all that, is building the inside now different from before? I recall having to go to a specifically designated build area where I could create rooms and all that.

Dweller_Benthos

The floating buildings bug is annoying that's for sure. The loot is decent though so I still go looking for them.

Landing is still a hit or miss kind of thing, I wish there was a more accurate way to pick where you land, other than at pylons or landing pads.

The oysters are supposed to die once you take the pearl, but for some reason that one didn't so I had to show it who was boss.

You can do pretty much anything you want in building in your freighter. There's a limited build area of course, you can't just go anywhere, but the area allowed is extensive. You also can't remove certain things of course, like the stairs to the hangar bay. You also can't build certain things, like for some reason, you can't build a save point, which is really annoying so you have to go back to your ship in the bay to save. No idea why that is, but it is.
D_B

Art Blade

I remember I couldn't build certain structural elements, I think certain w0#k benches of sorts or glass domes and so on. I remember having to go to a planet or moon and there I suddenly had a LOT more building options.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah there are some structures that can only be built at a base on a planet. But there's a lot things you can do on freighter now. For the most part, you don't need a planet base for much anymore, and once you're past the base building missions you can just move onto the freighter and be mobile.

If you recall the picture I posted a bit ago about the weird underwater plants that look like some kind of structures, well, this entire planet is made of those things. And some have ... dangly bits that are very .... similar to .... errrr .... something.

D_B

Art Blade

:D

you could force yourself to believe that those, erm, dangly things, are like those things you pull to ring for service..

Tags:
🡱 🡳