No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 11, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

It's procedural, so that means random, right? lol

The latest update allows you to save an entire "outfit" for your player character so I saved the white storm trooper one I've been using for a while and made a new one with one of the alien heads that you can get from the latest community missions. I basically was lazy and picked the same golden yellow for each thing you could color and came up with this golden, er.... thing? Yes, the skull is clear so you can see the brain that has some kind of wires leading off the brain to the outside that do something, probably.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I landed on a planet that has a few large creatures including the "diplo" type that are popular because of their appearance in the original announcement at E3 all those years ago. I made a video a while ago on a hub planet that has them that I posted here, but this is the first planet that I recall that I've found that has them. There is one species with two variants, the cobra head type like this one, that I'm riding:

And the dragon style like this guy that I'm also riding:

This planet also has another large creature that defies description:

I've built a base on this planet so I can get back any time I want, it's a bit inhospitable though, almost always raining with frequent boiling cloudbursts that make it pretty difficult to see.

On a different planet, this one very cold, I found one of those spider-crab-mantis things that was also giant sized, and rode him around for a while:

The latest update also broke one of the mods I was using and the original author hasn't updated yet, so I had to take matters into my own hands and learn how to make it myself. Was pretty easy really, as it's just scripting essentially, not real modding.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

nice stuff :)

I tried the "save your silly outfits" option, too, but then quit the game :gnehe:

Dweller_Benthos

They've made a lot of improvements to the base building, especially the terrain editing that we had so much trouble with. Supposedly it now saves terrain edits around bases much more reliably, so no more walking into a rock wall inside your base.
D_B

PZ

Really cool pics D_B  :thumbsup:

The character and their mounts look like they were designed by the AC:Origins programmers. I'm still playing Origins because I love the graphics.

Dweller_Benthos

Thanks, PZ!

Just to show not all the creatures you can ride are huge....

D_B

Art Blade

fragger

Some weird and wonderful animals there, D_B :) I never seem to find creatures like those. Just about every planet I've been on lately (not that I've been on that many) have had more or less the same kinds of animals on them, quadrupeds that are usually variations of small Stegosaurus-like animals without the back plates, and Pterodactyl-like flying things. I've found them on planets in several different systems now.

Maybe I'm just in a very pedestrian part of the galaxy :gnehe:

lol @ that last screenie. "Ride 'em cow - er - raptorboy..."

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Red star systems are the key to weird animals. Green and blue stars also, but I think the red ones have the highest chance of strange things happening. Like the last red star I just visited, almost all the planets were the exotic ones with strange anomalous features.
D_B

Art Blade

fragger

Dweller_Benthos

The latest update added a music mixer that one of the devs came up with in his spare time, so they added it to the game. Something Art can sink his teeth into? lol Here's a reddit post with a quick demo video.

from r/NoMansSkyTheGame

Here's a video that shows the interface, I don't understand any of it  O0

D_B

Art Blade

Looks like a simple step sequencer to me. Reminds me of the one I used when Creative Labs and their Soundblaster was top of the art. Some erm, 30.. years.. ago..? :anigrin: Anyway, still cool :)

Dweller_Benthos

haha I figured you'd know what it was, people are calling it "chiptune" which is, I guess, a style of music based specifically on 8 and 16 bit music generators used mostly in games around the turn of the century.
D_B

Art Blade

"chiptune" sounds familiar. I know it as linked to the Commodore C64 Home Computer which had 4 sound chips. Three were used for instruments (based on wave forms like sawtooth or sinus) while the fourth was used for sound effects (often used to emulate something remotely resembling a snare or a hi-hat) so that the resulting music was called a chip tune.

Tags:
🡱 🡳