No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 11, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Just put [sic] after everything and you're fine, it was someone else's mistake.   :D
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

:laughsm:

Good one D_B!  Perhaps I should put that in my signature so I can remember to use it  :gnehe:

Art Blade

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

Frontiers update is out:

Unfortunately it's bugged for me (and quite a few others according to Reddit posts) where the quest marker keeps relocating to a neighboring system every time I warp there, it jumps back to the one I was just at. So hopefully a hotfix will patch that out soon.

Edit: Got the new quest to w0#k, bought another map, traveled back to my first base on a paradise planet and activated the map there, reset the quest and it worked. So it seems it's like a sim building game now? You talk to a few people, fight off ineffectual sentinels, then collect some resources, and tell it to either build one thing or the other. Certain things cost you money, other things make you money. I'm in debt right off the bat so not sure what you're supposed to start at. It also doesn't take into account your personal wealth, as I have over 2 billion moneys and pretty much nothing to spend it on. So this is the settlement budget and you change that by, I would guess, building factories and such, going mining, maybe? We shall see. It's not something really involved like Sim City or those other city sim games, but for something "light" it seems to be OK.
D_B

PZ

I kind of like the sim games. In the past, SimCity was one of my favorites, but I've not played them in quite a while.

Looking forward to a video of the sim-building if you plan to do one   :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

Unfortunately the sim part of the game doesn't have that much depth to it. Sim games aren't my thing usually but even this is too simple for me even. You get a settlement, and then build an office to control things from, then wait while it's built. You don't actually build it with the base building system, it's a pre-fab that builds itself once you give it enough raw materials and it takes several hours. Then you get a choice to build something else, and usually it costs money, and so far nothing I've been given the choice to build actually makes me money or allows production to increase to make more money. But it doesn't seem to matter as the money isn't used for anything that I can see, so it's pointless. Then you get to decide on a dispute between two settlers or if an expedition should be taken, etc. There's no real sim building strategy to be used, you can't designate certain areas as commercial, residential, etc, so it's just make a decision that has no real consequences and wait up to 4 hours for the next choice. Maybe it will be expanded in the future to be more robust, but right now there's not much there.
D_B

PZ

That's a shame - sounds somewhat like filler content  :undecided-new:

Dweller_Benthos

It is a bit limited. I got my settlement out of the hole and into positive production and profits. I get a few things to sell for "real" money every 24 hours or so. But as far as engagement and actual planning and strategy, there's not so much.

I'm also running a second game in the new third "expedition" where you get certain rewards for completing stages. Not sure what the end result of this one is, the last one got you a frigate based on the Mass Effect ship, so there might be something like that at the end of this one. It'll run for six weeks so there's time, I've already completed the first of five stages and a bunch of sections in the other stages so it should be easy enough to finish.
D_B

PZ

Doesn't sound terribly exciting  :undecided-new:

Dweller_Benthos

The "sim settlement" part isn't really, if you want to log in every half hour there's a new (usually) thing to make a decision on, like settling an argument between some of your people, or deciding on a new building to build. Or delivering materials to a building that's under construction. I now have my settlement with 6 positive attributes and more money than it knows what to do with. Didn't take much effort.

I finished the latest expedition and got the reward, a spawn egg for a certain type of animal companion. It was mostly OK, as the expeditions are essentially a tutorial mode with a little extra difficulty added. So it's back to what I've been doing in the game, a little exploring, fight some pirates, etc. I play it mostly when I want to relax and not have some huge action going on all the time, it's a nice game to relax to.
D_B

PZ

I think it's good to have a relaxing game once in a while as "relief" from the non-stop action of our favorite shooters

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, exactly. Just wandering around looking at things or landing on a new planet to see what's there helps relax and recharge you.
D_B

PZ

Sounds like what I experience when I do website coding  :gnehe:

fragger

I've been thinking about having another crack at NMS. I've been stuck in a FO4/XCOM/CivV rut for a while and no new games seem to interest me much. I haven't touched NMS for quite some time and I've forgotten everything I was doing last time, so if I get back into it I might have to start from scratch - yet again. Trouble with that is every time I revisit the game, so much has changed since my last go-around that I basically have to relearn everything.

Hence the "thinking about" part :anigrin:

Tags:
🡱 🡳