No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 11, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

On the flip side, it might feel more like a new game - at least it usually does when I experience the same.

nex

Saving you the cost of purchasing a new game
Respect is earned, not given.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah there is quite a bit different now. If you have the hardware, the graphics are really cool. Much better than what it used to be. There is so much more to do for sure, but once it's boiled down, not a whole heck of a lot different. If you start a new game you'll find yourself on a hostile planet stranded from your wrecked ship and have to repair it and get out of there. This is the part the trips up most people but if you focus on just the basics of getting your launch thrusters fixed so you can take off, you can do OK. You can scan a few things to get you some money, then just buy what you need at the space station. Then pick a nice planet to land on to get the resources you need to fix the rest of your stuff.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

Quote from: PZ on October 03, 2021, 08:26:06 AM
On the flip side, it might feel more like a new game - at least it usually does when I experience the same.

I guess that's one way to look at it :gnehe:

@D_B, thanks for the info. In my earlier restarts, the beginning is always the hardest - finding all the materials and stuff to repair the ship so I can at least get off the deck, especially if I get spawned on an inhospitable planet with dangerous critters around. That was what happened on my last outing. I guess I can keep doing restarts until I get a fairly benign world to start on, if that's something I'm allowed to do.

Dweller_Benthos

I think you always get a hostile planet to start on now, hostile animals are very rare these days, I haven't encountered one in a long time. But really, it took me 15 minutes maybe to get off the planet last time I started a new game? First thing is to focus on getting to your ship, so you can get inside out of the weather. Then plan what you need to fix it to take off, just the engines, you don't need to fix anything else. You can scan stuff for money, but might be best to wait until you're on a better planet and can take your time. Or install a fast scanner mod like I do, lol. With some money and working engines you can get to the space station and buy stuff you need for the most part, to fix the other important systems. You might have to fix your mining tool, forget exactly, but for the most part if you focus and don't dawdle, getting off the first planet shouldn't be too difficult.

After that you can try to get to another system or if there's a nice planet in your starter system, spend time there to get the rest of what you need. After that, there's several quest lines to follow.
D_B

Dweller_Benthos

New Expedition released today, Emergence. Probably to coincide with the release of the new Dune movie, this one is about giant worms underground:

And yes, it looks like you can tame and ride the flying giant worms.
D_B

Dweller_Benthos

Started the new expedition last night, and I was going to say it's a bit on the difficult side but then I remembered I didn't follow my own advice. I didn't make a bee-line for my crashed ship right off, and instead followed the quest marker. Well, it's an extreme planet of course, but I was doing OK taking heat damage (one of the quest milestones is to take a certain amount of heat damage anyway, so, OK) but then got caught in an extreme storm and didn't have enough shielding to be able to withstand that for very long. Died twice trying to make it to my ship, and couldn't dig a hole in the ground to hide from the heat because my terrain manipulator was broken of course, and I died just as I was gathering the material to fix it. Third try got me to my ship, mostly because the storm ended, and then I remembered, duh, I can recharge my shielding. It's like I was a brand new player or something. But in my defense, in my regular save I have so much shielding that I don't really think about extreme conditions and usually just ignore them, and then recharge once I get back to shelter. It just didn't cross my mind to recharge my shield, oh well. I mean, you spawn with batteries to recharge several times. I. Just. Didn't. Think. Of. It.

Anyway, got the ship fixed and fueled up and blasted out of there. One thing about that planet since it has storms like that, it also has storm crystals which are worth a lot of money. Traded those in at the space station, bought the supplies (mostly) that I needed to get everything fixed, just needed to hop to a less hostile planet to get the fuel needed for my hyperdrive, and left that system for ever. For some reason, people think they need to build bases on the first planet you spawn on, or maybe they just like building in difficult conditions, I don't know, but I get off that planet as soon as possible and never go back if I don't have to.

So the expedition is moving along, and now I just have to decide which of the six tamed animals I have that I want to dismiss so I can capture and tame a giant sand worm.
D_B

PZ

Sounds like you're having a busy but fun time D_B!  :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah the new expedition was fun and a definite tie-in to the new Dune movie (which I watched last night, was pretty good and much more understandable than the 80s version). I finished the expedition yesterday so it doesn't take a huge amount of time, 7-8 hours of game time and I wasn't speed running by any account. I did get a boost by another player who gifted me a bunch of the final goal materials so I didn't have to go out and get them, but even then that would have taken me maybe another 15 minutes. They aren't hard to find.

These expeditions are usually interesting and a good introduction for a new-ish player to the game as you have a directed goal to accomplish. I'm not sure it would be a good for a brand new player who's never been in the game to do them right away, as some parts are a bit difficult if you don't know what you're doing, but probably not too bad.
D_B

PZ

Enjoy, D_B! I've always enjoyed your posts illustrating your adventures  :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

haha thanks! With the expedition done, it's back to some daily quests which at this point I sometimes skip because the rewards are just more money in various forms that I already have enough of. I have over 2 billion (yes B) of the regular money which I have nothing to spend on, except in the rare case that I find a freighter that I like and can now swap with my current one, so even then I could probably buy six of them. The other two currencies in the game I have over a hundred thousand each and very little to buy with them. There are new base building parts every month or so but that's about it. When I'm not feeling like doing anything in other games that require a lot of thought or hand-eye coordination, I play for the chill out factor and to see if I find anything cool in a new system.
D_B

PZ

I must admit that the game has come a long way since it's inception. When it first came to the public it reminded me of Borderlands (graphics) which, pardon my failing memory, was a game you favored. In any case, I like your observations and have come to rely upon them as being accurate.  :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

It sure has improved a lot, I think mostly because computing power caught up to what they wanted to do in the first place.
D_B

PZ

Technology sure progresses fast these days. My gaming rig won't run today's games very well, so I don't even try. However I can run anything else business-wise so it hard to want to get rid of it.

Although I really love the graphics capability of the PCs today and how they make the games look, I'm kinda satisfied with my old PS4, especially because I don't see very well anyhow  :gnehe:

Dweller_Benthos

haha right! Keep whatever works going for sure.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳