No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 11, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

New update, Outlaws. Yep, you can go full on pirate mode now, hire henchmen to help with space battles, new ship type, pirate space stations where you can sell or buy ill-gotten booty, etc.

https://www.nomanssky.com/outlaws-update/

Oh yeah and capes. Can't be a pirate without a cape.

A new expedition just released too, so some fun things to look into now.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Nice!  :thumbsup:

Although I typically like the more down to earth settings like in the Far Cry series, I must admit that the clip where the colored rainbow appeared in this video was excellent  O0

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah some planets now have rainbows, that's actually been a feature for a little while now. It might not always mesh with what type of planet it is, like you might get a planet with corrosive air and happy rainbows! But in the video I don't see one with a rainbow, are you talking about the one at about 1:26? That's a planet with rings lol.
D_B

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on April 15, 2022, 07:40:36 AM
..., are you talking about the one at about 1:26? That's a planet with rings lol.

:laughsm: Yeah, that's the spot! Man I need to get new glasses!

Dweller_Benthos

haha, or a bigger monitor to play video at full screen! That's one way to justify the expense of a new monitor to the wife!
D_B

PZ

:laughsm: :thumbsup:

There do seem to be a few benefits to being old  :gnehe:

Dweller_Benthos

D_B

fragger

It's impressive how much NMS has evolved since its release. "Hello Games" were a pair of dirty words for a while after the game first came out, but I have to give the devs kudos for sticking with it after all the negative publicity they copped at the beginning. They could have just washed their hands of it and walked away, but they didn't.

Dweller_Benthos

I agree Fragger, even back then I had enough fun in the game to justify the price I paid for it, as I wasn't so "into the hype" as it seems a lot of people were. I played the game for what it was and enjoyed it. The fact they have continued to update it almost non-stop since then is just a bonus for me. Case in point:

https://www.nomanssky.com/2022/05/expedition-seven-leviathan/

New expedition just released that adds among other things, living frigates. Frigate ships are the medium sized ones (though they are really big, but nowhere near as big as freighters) that you can have in your fleet and send on missions to collect money and/or goods that you can sell for money, or fight battles to get paid money, etc. So yeah they are still adding stuff, for free mind you, almost six years later now.
D_B

mandru

The last two videos in this thread have been interesting.  I see that the developers continued update efforts have brought the game a long way beyond it's original scope from when the game was launched.

I've noticed that both of the most recant videos posted (when completed) have been followed by an on YouTube suggested video called "How to find paradise planets".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzLYsf17ha8

The principals he describes are in the form of an alphanumeric code (Formatted as XXX XXX) that allows you to spot paradise worlds, the resources they hold, and the basic natures of those worlds as soon as you travel into a new stellar system.  Looks like it could be a real time saver if it is paradise worlds you are seeking out.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah that's interesting, I never looked into the system types before, to see what they might be beforehand, mostly when I'm traveling, I just go to the one that is at the limit of my ship's jump range. I have bases on a bunch of planet types, one being the type he mentions at the end, so-called paradise with bubbles floating everywhere.
D_B

fragger

Knowing what those letters and numbers mean could indeed come in handy for knowing what to expect on planets. I don't know if they have always been shown on the map, it's been a while for me...

I like that they paid attention to stellar spectral classes, that's nice :thumbsup: In astronomy, F- or G-type stars are thought to be the most likely to have habitable planets (our Sun's spectral class is G, or G2 to be exact). G-class stars are characteristically small and yellowish in colour, relatively cool, and are among the most stable and durable of stars. O- and B-class stars are the hot blue/white giants with massive UV outputs, which is probably not conducive to living things on any planets they may have, and are relatively short-lived compared to venerable dwarves like our Sun. They can also be candidates for supernova events - which are definitely not conducive to life :gnehe:

As a general rule, the bigger and hotter a star is, the more rare and short-lived it will be. The most common spectral class of stars in our galaxy is "M", and these stars are typically red and cool. The nearest star to us, Proxima Centauri, is an M-type red dwarf and is so small and dim that it can't be seen with the naked eye. M-type stars make up about 76% of the stars in our galaxy which are in the "prime" of their lives, so to speak - a condition known as the "Main Sequence", neither young nor elderly (a human "Main Sequence" could be thought of as roughly the period between puberty and late middle-age).

Please excuse the waffling... I don't get to waffle much these days :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

No worries, that's good information. I was sort of aware about the classes stars come in but which was exactly what I wasn't to familiar with, it would have been an easy google search but then that would require effort on my part. In the game the stars come in yellow, red, green and blue. So while some of the data correlates to the real universe, some doesn't. At least I don't think there are green stars for real, but then the universe is big and who knows what's going on elsewhere? The most exotic planets are found in the blue and green systems and somewhat in red ones. You need special warp drive upgrades to even get to those systems.

I finished the new expedition yesterday as it was a holiday here and I had all day to do pretty much nothing else. This one was a bit tricky as it was in the so-called permadeath mode where if you die you have to start over and lose everything. Not a fan of that game mode but that's how it was. You do regain some things like upgrades but they are random so you don't always get back what you had. So after a third death I started to make backups of my save file so that I could restore the game instead of starting over. I don't have that much patience lol. Thing is, after making backups, I didn't die so i never needed one except for that third time and the backup was a bit old but still better than starting over.
D_B

fragger

Cheers. The entire family of spectral classes is O,B,A,F,G,K,M, from hottest to coolest (why those particular letters, and in that order, I have no idea). As far as I'm aware, there are no green stars in reality, at least none which have ever been observed. I don't think any superheated gasses or plasma ever radiate in that part of the spectrum - which makes me wonder why "plasma weapons" in games always seem to shoot green stuff. It should be incandescent, or slightly bluish if it's going to have any colour at all.

Congrats on finishing the expedition :thumbsup: Like you, I'm not a fan of "permadeath" play either. That can get pretty exasperating. It's bad enough when I forget to save my game for a while, and then I go and get myself killed :banghead:

Dweller_Benthos

Haha yeah it wasn't too bad and it was weird that once I started doing backups of the save game, I never died! Anyway, the update fix dropped yesterday and it was possible to claim the expedition reward, the living frigate ship.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳