No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 11, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Are these updates free? That would certainly be a departure from the usual corporate greed

Dweller_Benthos

Yes, all the updates for NMS ever since release have been free. Considering the release of the game was in some people's eyes, less than stellar, I guess they decided that charging for these would not be a popular thing to do. Unfortunately, the expeditions are not playable once they have concluded, well except around the holidays when some are run again, so a new player right now will have missed all the expedition loot from previous releases.

Aside from that, why did the last video not embed in the forum, and just exists as a link? Is it the forum or does the video itself not allow embedding?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Sorry about that, D_B. I suspect it has to do with advertising at YT.  The best way to ensure embedding  works is to either use the YouTube button in the menu of a post or to capture the URL from the browser bar rather than using the YT share link.

I'm not positive, but I think it is the forum people working out a way to circumvent advertisements in YT videos.

I'm visiting the forum almost every day and when a video fails to appear I just go in and fix it.

Dweller_Benthos

I always just copy & paste the URL from the video page, I don't even know what or where a share link is. I also did not see the Youtube button, next time I'll try that. Thanks for the fix!
D_B

PZ

Hope it works for you D_B  O0

I'll get everything worked out after a while. The updated software introduced new features, the WYSIWYG post items. There's not enough time in the day!

Dweller_Benthos

D_B

Dweller_Benthos

No Man's Sky Worlds update part one

Universe reset, which I think means all bases and such get erased, at least that was mentioned, I haven't run it yet to see. Part two coming later in the summer supposedly.

Deep dive video:

New expedition too, so something to be doing for a while
D_B

PZ

Nice videos - I don't know if I'm just imagining things, but the graphics look unusually good  :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

They are really improving the graphics lately, which is mostly what this update is about with all the new weather and water effects they've added. I haven't had a chance to really get into it yet, but I will this weekend when I give the new expedition a try.

Oh and Penny Arcade made a comic about it, lol:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2024/07/19/succor
D_B

fragger

I have a funny, on-again-off-again relationship with NMS. I tend to pick it up after a year or so, get totally immersed in it for a few weeks, then abruptly lose interest. I don't think any other video game has had that effect on me :huh-new:

The environmental effects and graphics do look as though they have improved since my last foray into the game. Maybe I'll give it another go - it's almost that time again :gnehe:

I heard that Hello is discontinuing its support for NMS, either very soon, or they may have done it already. Apparently they want to concentrate on developing a new game. Don't take this as gospel though. I thought I saw something about it on You Tube or someplace about a month ago, but the fact that this update dropped quite recently may mean I'm in error. I have been known to be wrong from time to time :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

I would suggest doing the latest expedition, it's quite fun with a lot of combat fighting big bugs, a very thinly veiled nod to Starship Troopers, be sure to do your part! LOL But seriously, it's fun and the rewards are nice, if someone is starting a new game, then it's a good way to get equipped fast with a decent multi-tool and a good hauler ship.

Supposedly the Worlds part two update is supposed to be out "in summer" but that announcement has been removed from the website and speculation is that it will arrive during the holiday season or early next year.

It has been hinted that support for NMS will slow down greatly, as they are working on the new game Light No Fire, of which we've only seen one teaser video which has generated enormous amounts of speculation. I think I linked it somewhere, or made a new thread for it.

Yeah here https://www.openworldgames.org/newowg/index.php/topic,70854.0.html
D_B

Dweller_Benthos

New update that was totally unexpected, Aquarius, that adds ... fishing? OK sure.

D_B

PZ

That sure is different  :huh-new:

Dweller_Benthos

I spent most of my time last night updating my mod for the game and not actually playing beyond some testing, so haven't tried the fishing yet. There is a new expedition centered on the fishing mechanic which I'll probably start either tonight or tomorrow. This is pretty soon after the last expedition, and reinforces the scuttlebutt that Hello Games is testing features being worked on for their next game, Light No Fire. So now everyone is expecting fishing to be an activity in that game as well. Since we know so little about it, there could be anything, but it seems logical.
D_B

PZ

Definitely seems logical, but as you said, everything is somewhat speculative. Be sure to post pics and/or videos when you check it out! I kind of like the fishing stuff in other games like FC just to get a break from the rapido killing.

Tags:
🡱 🡳