No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 11, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

I finished the new expedition which is essentially a long tutorial on the fishing mechanic. It's much simpler than in other games, even ones like Far Cry 5 where fishing was quite extensive. Actual dedicated fishing games are much more complex. Essentially, you cast your line, wait for it to turn green and click to reel it in. There's no "fighting" the fish or casting technique. Once hooked, you can't lose the fish unless you don't reel in fast enough but it gives you a long time to do that, and as long as you hold down the mouse button to reel in, you're guaranteed a fish. From what I've read, there's 160 different fish, plus new recipes in the cooking mechanic to use them. There's also a small chance to reel in tech upgrades for your equipment but the ones I got were pretty low stats and might be ok for early game but didn't help me in any way with the top level upgrades I already have on most everything.

I did the expedition from my main save, and carried back the fishing rod but will probably never install it, I find fishing in games the same as I find fishing in real life, boring. There was one part of the expedition where you had to catch three fish that only are found on planets with storms and only when it's actually storming. Luckily people have built bases that allow you fish in safety from taking storm damage but it still took several hours to get the three fish. I did look up after getting two and found you can make a certain lure that will increase the chance of getting that type of fish and got the last one pretty quick. Wish I'd known that ahead of time, might have saved an hour or two.

But I guess it's a nice addition, and even more free content, so can't really complain, they did the byte beat stuff a while ago that almost no one uses that I know of, it was a side project by someone and they decided to include it in the game, which I think is the same with the fishing, so even though I'll probably never do it again, it's there if needed.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Yeah, it is nice to get something for "free" from the companies these days.  Sounds kind of like it is more a form of busy w0#k rather than fishing since one does not need to fight the fish, nor apply much of a technique. Too bad, because it does not encourage one to do the fishing.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah it's essentially the same as fishing in Minecraft, drop line in water, wait until you get a strike, hold button to reel in, guaranteed fish. Since it's all RNG as to what you get, even with a lure that is for certain fish, you're not guaranteed that kind of fish, it's still RNG. But yeah, for free, really can't complain, and it's a thing to hold over until the second part of the worlds update drops.
D_B

fragger

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on September 10, 2024, 07:58:06 AMI find fishing in games the same as I find fishing in real life, boring.

:laughsm: I can relate to that sentiment!

A long time ago I was going out with a girl who loved fishing, so I'd go along on fishing outings just because I enjoyed being with her. But oh man, fishing bores me - especially since I stink at it :gnehe: The last time I fished (which was with her, now that I think about it) the only thing I caught was an octopus. We were fishing off a jetty and I thought I'd finally caught something decent, until I reeled in a mass of writhing tentacles. Luckily (for me and him) he fell off the line just as I pulled him clear of the water, so I didn't have to grapple with him to get him off the hook. I don't think he swallowed the hook or anything, he just had hold of the bait and didn't want to let it go, until a combination of gravity and his own dry weight decided the matter for him.

But yeah, regarding the fishing activity in NMS, I guess you can't knock a freebie!

Dweller_Benthos

HAHA that's about my take on fishing too, I haven't done it IRL since I was a teenager and my cousin who was all into fishing talked me into it because we were out camping and there was nothing else to do. At least I caught a nice trout at that time, but haven't fished since.
D_B

PZ

:laughsm: great story, fragger!

Tags:
🡱 🡳