Ghost Towns and Abandoned Places

Started by fragger, March 11, 2017, 07:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Yes, the one mining area has several large open mines and tunnels. The one has an open pit with a rock bridge over part of it, with a large over hanging rock face. Towards the bottom of the pit is a sloping open cut/tunnel thing, hard to explain it's shape. Filled with ice at the bottom, and who knows how deep the water is under the ice. This is in the summer too, so the ice is there all year I expect. It was thick enough to walk on. But on another trip, the large over hanging rock face had collapsed and partially filled the open pit it was hanging over. Not a safe place. Then there is nearby another pit, walking along the old road, it just appears to be a depression in the ground. Walking to the edge, it's several hundred feet deep, several hundred feet long, and filled with water at the bottom, vertical walls. No escape if you fell in there, and it's far enough back in the woods it would take a lot of effort to find you.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

dang, that isn't anything I want to be close to. Looks cool in films and games alright but real life is real life.

durian

Fragger +1, interesting thread. The abandoned places are indeed intriguing,  it's one of the reasons I love the Uncharted series.

PZ +1 for those cool pics.

fragger

Thank you durian :)

D_B, cheers for the pics and info :) Those places sound cool, if you're a bit of a daredevil. I was once, but now I'm old and chicken :gnehe: Still, I'd love to look at the abandoned equipment and whatever is left of any structures. I'll leave the mineshaft spelunking to those with more guts and/or less sense :gnehe:

Art Blade

PZ

Thanks durian!  :bigsmile:

I like sharing my adventures in travel, and food of course  :anigrin:

nex

Respect is earned, not given.

Dweller_Benthos

Interesting video, but the guy's voice is very annoying the way he pops it at the beginning of every sentence.

There's a few reservoirs I've been to when the water is low, one is just up the road from my house at the state park that was created to make a swimming beach for the park. A few times when I was a kid they drained it to do w0#k on the dam. We had some fun times running around on the lake bed looking for stuff people had dropped overboard from the rental canoes they have at the park beach.

Then there's the larger reservoir downstate that has gotten low a few times, that we visit to try to get pictures of the waterfalls that are normally submerged on one of the inlet streams. So far we haven't gotten there at the right time for the falls but have walked around on the lake bed.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

nex

The lake must have filled up considerable since 2015,
I tried to locate the site on Google Earth but all I could recognize is the jetty's
Respect is earned, not given.

Art Blade

interesting vid, nice find O0

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on February 12, 2019, 08:23:18 AMthe guy's voice is very annoying the way he pops it at the beginning of every sentence

I read that before I watched the vid, and throughout the whole vid, I kept thinking of that comment because it's SO true :D :D

PZ

I can confirm reservoirs like this because I travel through Oregon every summer. I have seen places like this first hand.

Tags:
🡱 🡳