Short Video Clips (from Youtube, etc)

Started by fragger, March 13, 2017, 07:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

I didn't mind the first couple Mad Max movies, as mindless action fun, but it got pretty worn out after that. But if you like the car chase action then you might want to check out the movie that all car chases are based on, Vanishing Point (warning mild brief nudity)

Some of the shots in that movie are copied almost exactly in Mad Max 2 - Road Warrior, and in the Tarantino film, "Death Proof" they even mention Vanishing Point and go on to copy some of it. The story is pretty dumb as I recall but for the epitome of car chases and the grandfather of everything that followed it, it compares to nothing else.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

And here I thought 1968's Bullitt (with Steve McQueen) was the mother of all car chases, released three years prior to Vanishing Point. :) I picked this particular vid because others were muted for the most part. This one isn't. And boy.. enjoy all those cars you see everywhere, even parked ones, and the fat sound of American Muscle, I admit that I like the sound of those real muscle cars revving up.. that deep, rich bubbling that evolves into a husky, throaty roaring.. crazy. O0

The chase starts at 3.15 (note the dark green VW beetle, he must be secretly racing those muscle cars.. he's always already there :gnehe: )

Dweller_Benthos

ah yes, Bullitt, classic chase scene. Hard to say really, I think what is mostly mentioned about Vanishing Point is the camera w0#k and positioning. The scene in Bullitt is mostly shot from standard in car and following car cameras. A few stationary cameras on the side of the road, etc. Vanishing Point pioneered a lot of camera w0#k you see all the time now. Plus, Bullitt takes place mostly in the city, where Vanishing Point is more open road style scenes.

But then, Bullitt has Steve McQueen who probably filmed a lot of those scenes himself, not a stunt double.
D_B

Art Blade

fragger

I've been watching some of this guy's videos, Ryan George. He has some fairly original ideas for comedy sketches and I think he's quite clever and witty. There's two clips here. The first one is from his "The first guy to..." series, the second is from his "Pitch Meeting" series. He has tons of the latter ones, same approach in all of them ("writer guy" pitching a movie script to "producer guy"), but they make me laugh. He's good at pointing out plot holes and other incongruities :gnehe:

He always plays all the roles in his videos.

Art Blade

I liked the 2nd vid, the pitch, and after it clicked on a recommended other pitch for another star wars, equally entertaining. He's putting those films in a nutshell while at the time pointing out the most ridiculous weaknesses. Cheers, for sharing, fragger O0

Dweller_Benthos

"OK you're gonna have to stop mentioning things that are going to happen thirty years from now"
"I said forty that time"
"Fair enough"
D_B

Art Blade

fragger

He's got lots of those "Pitch Meeting" videos. They're stupid but I find them funny. He's merciless with the superhero genre, which he seems to like picking apart the most :gnehe:

Art Blade

You may remember this..

Quote from: BinnZ on June 14, 2019, 04:32:50 AM
I never heard of this, but in times of plastic soup, it's a rather controversial solution for a range of problems. Check out the shade balls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxPdPpi5W4o

..and coincidentally, the same guy made a vid I stumbled upon today. It was on someone's liked videos list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeJ9q45PfD0

fragger

I missed that video about Aerogel somehow, very interesting. Especially considering that he idea goes all the way back to the 1930s.

I'd be curious to find out what the stuff feels like. Very light obviously, way lighter than polystyrene. Sneeze and you'd blow it across the room.

Its thermal insulation properties are very impressive.

Dweller_Benthos

It's surprising how much stuff was thought up or even invented in the early 20th century or even the late 19th century that wasn't able to be made until now with the advances in technology. Digital audio recording, for instance, was also invented in the 30s if I'm remembering correctly, but obviously computers weren't up to the task quite yet.
D_B

Art Blade

compared to some 65,000 years of evolution during which we discovered cooked meals and metal tools, we've really kicked it up quite a couple of notches during just a few centuries. If we keep it up like that, who knows what else we'll achieve.

Maybe it comes to what we know from many sci-fi flicks: we've got to leave this planet deprived of resources and littered to the brim.

fragger

How to deal with spammers (if you have the time and the inclination):

Art Blade

that was rather amusing, cheers :anigrin:

I'm going to check out more of his vids.

Tags:
🡱 🡳