Packer brisket on the pellet rgill

Started by PZ, September 09, 2017, 01:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Costco had a sale on prime brisket a while ago ($2.39/lb) and I purchased three because the price was so good. Into the freezer they went, and some time ago I did this cook on the Traeger modified with a Pellet Pro PID.

I'm still not that good at cooking brisket so I need the practice. Along the way I sometimes accidentally make some really good brisket, but mostly just marginal - it sure is fun practicing. Probably the best skill I have developed so far is how to salvage brisket too dry  ;D

Click the pics to start a slide show

I like to separate the point from the flat
to better help prevent the flat from becoming
too dry. Here the point and flat are separated,
rubbed, and wrapped for the night.
  Into the Traeger they go at 225 degrees.
I like a soft bark and am using a tube smoker
plus a pan of water.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Well into the cook, it is progressing nicely  The flat turned out better than I have ever
done, partly because the PID helps control the
temperature far better than the stock Traeger
controller

I'm not sure what to call these because
they are not exactly "burnt ends", but my
wife likes me to cube up part of the flat
and cook them in the beef fat rendered
from the trimmings. They are crisp
and savory.
  The final plate.

Art Blade

I'm dying here.

Not my hair but because of HUNGER :'(

Nice one, PZ :thumbsup: :anigrin:

PZ

mandru

Looks fantastic PZ.  Nice smoke rind on that sliced brisket.  I'd definitely come back for seconds on that.  8)

But my attention has really been drawn to and I'm curious about the un-burnt ends.  Were they cut from the flat after smoking and cooking before receiving that extra bit of Tender Loving Char?  I think I can see some of the smoke rind on some of the pieces but I'm not sure on that.  :undecided-new:

Not to detract from the preparation you've done with the cubed ends from the flat (they look wonderful  :gnehe:) but I keep thinking in addition to the fat drippings if there was a teaspoon of dark brown sugar (or dark Karo syrup? Not Light Karo as it has vanilla in it) and a couple drops of a good hot sauce (for a bit of tooth) to create a bit of a glaze (but not too sticky) when you crisp up those cubed ends.

It would turn them into something I'd want to save to the end of dinner for dessert.  Perfect for that time after a good meal with friends and family where you sit around the table and tell stories while pecking at something yummy that's been put out in the center of the table for everyone.

The thought of it reminds me of many close family gatherings from when I was young.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Thanks mandru - yes, you are correct - saucing the bits and returning them to the pit makes them into the delectable beef candy burnt ends that most people love.

What I do is separate the point from the flat and then cube up the point (because it is the fattiest part and renders nicely). I formerly made traditional sweet burnt ends, but these days neither myself nor my wife like sweets all that much so she has me cube up the point and crisp up the morsels in fat rendered from the trimmings I removed before the meat was smoked. The point also has the same smoke ring, and she also likes me to save some of that for Texas style sandwiches - as the old saying goes, "happy wife, happy life"  :gnehe:

Art Blade

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Tags:
🡱 🡳